Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Savage MkII F-SR

Got a new Savage MkII -FV-SR. Tore it down and polished the bolt, firing pin, extractors. Shimmed the picatinney rail to add some elevation. Installed Tac pro cheek piece. Added 5.56 Muzzle brake I got from a friend. Installed Harris Bipod. And painted the boring black stock. The rifle is quite smooth compared to new, but the extraction did not work at all- maybe 1 in 20. I flipped the extractor spring around and squeezed it together a little. Extraction is quite positive now. Rifle is shooting around 2 -3 inches at 100 m right now with CCI Mini-Mags, will probably steal the barrel dampner off my B22 to test, and run some different ammo through it, to see what it likes. Cool rifle.

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3208.JPG
    Last edited by 3MTA3; 12-30-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By 3MTA3

2012Cvoguy (12-30-2018), Hidyn (12-28-2018), lone-wolf (12-27-2018), Newbgunner (01-01-2019)

The stock looks great.

That's gorgeous!

The extractor issue was seriously infuriating. Wish I'd known about it before I drove an hour into the woods the first time to play with mine.

Once you get that cleared up it's a beautiful little gun. I fabbed up my own cheek riser out of PVC pipe and McNett came wrap. Your riser looks pretty good, and adjustable, I think I might pick one up!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Very nice looking gun there after the mods.

Built and installed a new bottom metal out of some 12AWG stainless, rifle will shoot about 1.4 minutes at 100m with CCI SV. Thinking about replacing rear self tapper with threaded insert on bottom metal- Anybody done this?
    Going to mess with it a bit more - hope to hit a minute!
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

7. The Following User Liked This Post By 3MTA3

Hidyn (01-17-2019)

why would you put a muzzle brake on a .22?
    Pet the sweaty things

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    why would you put a muzzle brake on a .22?
    Assuming that was not a rhetorical question-
    I find that the 22 is very critical to shoot accurately - I am trying to shoot under 1 inch at 100 m with relatively inexpensive rifles- The SR part in FV-SR is "suppressor ready" so threaded and I don't have a suppressor-but I had a brake for a 223 (why would you put a muzzle brake on 5.56?) that I was given, so I thought it might help reduce the tendency of bucking of the bipod when shooting off a hard surface-

I also like the way it looks as opposed to the knurled screw cap. It has the added benefit of reducing the odds of getting the muzzle plugged with crap when shooting prone and laying the rifle down in crap like snow or mud ( I think that is why the Ruger "Mapleseed" Anniverrsary 10/22 has a flash hider on it).
    Last edited by 3MTA3; 01-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Trudeau Out Now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    Assuming that was not a rhetorical question-
    it wasn't. i've shot a couple of .22's and....yeah.i like to flinch when i pretend i'm feeling the kick.never shot .223/5.56 before so i couldn't tell you why that would need a brake either. i'm probably a biut of a caveman when it comes to the finer points of shooting. if it goes bang and i hit what i'm aiming at, i'm happy
    Pet the sweaty things

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    steal the barrel dampner off my B22 to test, and run some different ammo through it, to see what it likes.
    Have you any experience with barrel tuners? I am going to try a Lowey tuner and see if that's worth playing with. And ya, try different ammo. So far I have some Ely and Lapua...but have only just zero'd the scope, not many rounds through yet.

While you won't notice it unless you're trying to shoot with absolute precision, there is muzzle rise on even the humble .22 rimfire.

Most people think of muzzle brakes only in terms of recoil management, but there is major value in reducing muzzle flip.

What this means (along with faster follow up shots for high intensity kinds of shooting) is that when shooting at distance you can watch your bullet hit the target.

With really long range and high velocity ammo this is usually just bullet trace (I've yet to see it in person as I'm still looking for a place that lets me shoot far enough).

But with my .22 you can follow the bullet at 100-200 yards and watch as it drops into the target.

I don't have a brake on my .22 but I imagine once I do it'll will help me follow the bullet a lot more effectively, since I don't often get my scope back on target in time.

Which is more of a training thing than a gear thing, but I need to 'upgrade' things
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Hidyn

Turtlehead (01-17-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast