Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New .22

Looks great Darrell. I'm looking forward to paying you and the rimfire range a visit soon!
    "Revalllllverz!" - Tuco Ramirez

Cold as hell these days, so spending time inside. Not too much action here on the forum, so I'll continue to bore everybody with one of my projects:

Front of this stock was surprisingly (to me) flexxy...have no past experience with Manners stocks, but expected more rigidity. So I decided to glue in a piece of rod to stiffen him up. The shop where the milling machine is located hasn't any heat on, so just hogged out the fore-end with a dremel. Rusty piece of 1/4" cold roll seems just the ticket:

2019-02-01 001 009.jpg

Of course the amount of epoxy you have left in an opened tube is almost exactly half as much as you need...so make another batch to finish....

2019-02-03 001 001.jpg

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

Armorman (02-16-2019)

Then time to bed the action. Mainly just bedded the back couple inches of barrel:

2019-02-05 001 005.jpg

And the tang:

2019-02-05 001 011.jpg

Next I'll be getting on to some goodies I ordered in from the Land Down Under, where they informed me they were a day late getting it shipped due to extreme heat....when it's 35 goddam below here....anyway, stuff showed up in the mail yesterday:

2019-02-05 001 001.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Dmay

Armorman (02-16-2019), JustBen (02-06-2019)

I told her there would be something new in the closet. That looks sweet.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

Cool idea adding that rod for added rigidity. I'm thinking of doing something similar.....but not to add rigidity. I'd like to move the balance point of my rifle forward about 4" so I'm thinking of adding some weight into the forend. The Greyboe I have is already milled out for that very purpose so it's an easy job!

Anyone else getting sick of winter? I have 9 types of match ammo I want to try.

So: Have had rifle out a few times now.
    Stock stiffness is greatly improved and feels tons better.
    Fiddled around with the Lowey trigger kit, but it really won't work for me. And even the heaviest of the lighter springs won't work, precludes the sear cocking. So ordered a replacement (Timney) trigger...hope to have it shortly.
    Found that of the ammo types tested so far, the Lapua CenterX seems most consistant.

Shot a pretty exciting wallet group the other day:
    2019-03-13 006.jpg

But of course that is far from typical:

2019-03-09 011.jpg

2019-03-13 003.jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dmay

3MTA3 (03-15-2019), Armorman (03-16-2019), lone-wolf (03-15-2019)

BT on 3 and 5.5 means? Cause there's a couple amazing looking groups down there too
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

I'd guess BT refers to Barrel Tuner, which can be seen in the above pic of his rifle.

I spent some time screwing with a barrel pressure pad on my rifle and never found it to make much improvement in group sizes.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

lone-wolf (03-16-2019)

Some really nice results there! I'm thinking Lapua with the tuner on 3 is your ticket.....so far.

Man, it is super easy to burn through large quantities of rimfire ammo! Who the hell said this was going to be cheap??? Shoot rimfire they say. It's easy on the "piggy bank". Lol, ya....ok. Fun as hell though. I'm 100% positive that by the time snow starts to fly this fall I'll have more ammo down range through the Vudoo (which I just bought a few months back) than all three of my precision centerfire rifles combined.......since I've owned them! If anyone is sitting on the fence wondering if they need a precision bolt action 22LR rifle don't think too long about it.....just get one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast