Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm in that riding. The Conservatives have a relatively unknown woman - Martha MacQuarrie - as the candidate to run here. I think if they knew Brison was not running again they might have re-run our former Nova Scotia MLA David Morse. He was just 3% under Scott Brison in the 2011 election. Unfortunately people misinterpreted the strong Liberal outcome in 2015 for all of Atlantic Canada ridings as meaning David Morse couldn't win it.

As you can tell in the history of Brison in this riding, many people go with the person, not so much the party. It's very different than in the cities where people have little idea about the local candidate and tend to vote based on the big party ideas or leadership.

I'm guessing this is more because the Admiral Mark Norman issue is going to soon cause the Lieberals a lot of grief and bad press, and that Brison has been "encouraged" to step down in order to distance himself from the Sock Prince when the poop hits the propeller big-time.
    -- islandguy;15580603

3. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Doug_M (01-11-2019), FALover (01-11-2019), firemachine69 (01-11-2019), Neil Burke (01-11-2019), stewbud (01-11-2019), Turtlehead (01-11-2019), Waterloomike (01-10-2019)

In Ontario, lots of Liberals left before the election -- and they got wiped off the map.
    In Quebec, lots of Liberals left before the election -- and they got wiped off the map.

5. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

chuckbuster (01-11-2019), ESnel (01-10-2019), firemachine69 (01-11-2019), Neil Burke (01-11-2019), stewbud (01-11-2019), Waterloomike (01-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    In Ontario, lots of Liberals left before the election -- and they got wiped off the map.
    In Quebec, lots of Liberals left before the election -- and they got wiped off the map.
    Here's hoping. In general, politics don't really get talked about much at work unless Trump says something hilarious. A couple of the guys out back were talking about the new drunk driving laws, and not in a positive light...
    Remember High River!

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    Here's hoping. In general, politics don't really get talked about much at work unless Trump says something hilarious. A couple of the guys out back were talking about the new drunk driving laws, and not in a positive light...
    I had mentioned those new laws to the better half. She was certain I was wrong and could not believe how such far reaching, totalitarian laws were allowed to be passed. The abuse of those laws will be immense. "Power tends to corrupt,and absolute power corrupts absolutely." (Lord Acton) The rest of that quote is "Great men are often always bad men".
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Swampdonkey (01-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Yes, but in 2014 a lot of Ontario Liberals, 4 or 5 cabinet ministers left before the election and Wynne was returned to power going from minority to majority.

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    I had mentioned those new laws to the better half. She was certain I was wrong and could not believe how such far reaching, totalitarian laws were allowed to be passed. The abuse of those laws will be immense. "Power tends to corrupt,and absolute power corrupts absolutely." (Lord Acton) The rest of that quote is "Great men are often always bad men".
    Did you here about the case in Ontario recently?

A 70 year old man was returning empties to the beer store. A cop was watching him.

In the cop's opinion the man was returning TOO MANY empties, so he stopped him and demanded a breath sample.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulchaser View Post

A 70 year old man was returning empties to the beer store. A cop was watching him.

In the cop's opinion the man was returning TOO MANY empties, so he stopped him and demanded a breath sample.
    Yes,I mentioned that to the better half as well. Maybe instead of returning the empties, just chuck them in the blue box or outside the local police station (preferably in not returnable condition) and let the brewers buy new ones.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

https://www.hantsjournal.ca/news/loc...ection-274609/

Midway through the article:

“This is a decision Max and I made. The reality is that if I ran again, Max would shoot me and I would be dead, and Max would be in jail and I don’t know who would take care of Rose and Claire, so it’s pretty practical from that sense,” Brison joked, adding, more seriously that his family has had to make lots of sacrifices for him over the years.

“I’ve gone at this 120 per cent for almost 22 years, working evenings and weekends and putting my job first and I’m at a stage now in my life where I want to focus on my family and making decisions that are in my family’s interest.”

As for what’s next for Brison, he said he’s still figuring that out.

“I think in all likelihood I will consider opportunities in the private sector. I have a background in business investment banking and private equity — but I’m in no real rush right now,” he said.

“I’ve had a great run, I’m leaving on top. A lot of politicians leave in a body bag or get airlifted off the field. I’m walking off the political stage with my head held high, proud of what I helped accomplished ... feeling good about what my government and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has done and is doing.”
    There are a couple of jokes made in there about mortality going along with a continued political life. I wonder if his husband finds this lifestyle too distressing. Perhaps threats from nutters?

Also this:
    “I think the divisiveness and rabid partisanship in Ottawa is worse now than I’ve ever seen it,” he said.

“I wish there was more recognition that on the floor of the House of Commons that we’re all capable of doing good things.”
    Recalling he was previously a PC, he probably has days where he is torn between the way the Liberals see it and the way the Conservatives see it. The main reason he switched parties was about coming out of the closet and personally wanting to have a same-sex marriage, which wasn't anywhere on the radar with the Conservatives in 2003. But he is a strong team player and works with the team he's on, so that's what he did.

I used to write him with the typical letter campaigns we've had going on, so there are likely a few hundred people like me that helped make his job difficult by being reasonable and expecting better.

Quote Originally Posted by soulchaser View Post

Is there a link for this?
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast