Senior Member Weekend Gunslingers's Avatar

Scorpion Optics or any Canadian optics really

Hi folks

Saw this is a Canadian company and it peaked my interest. Previous posts (not many) that I found about them say they are pretty good and are cheaper to purchase than the equivalent Vortex for example. Fast forward to 2019 and they are now more expensive than the Vortex. Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.scorpionoutdoors.com/col...-6x24-tactical

Also, can you recommend a fairly priced (no Elcans) Canadian made AR 1-6 type optic?

Thanks
    "Never step in anything soft"
    Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-sW1YrMRwIkTaQ

I have their 1-4x Venom with illuminated reticle on my 45-70 guide gun. It’s a fair quality, middle of the road optic. No issues for me yet, but I know a couple guys who’ve taken them up on their warranty and it’s as good as they claim for what it’s worth. Immediate replacement at point of purchase. Their slightly higher priced stuff seems to hold up to recoil better than their cheaper stuff. Mine was around $300 (nearly two years ago) and I have a buddy with one of their better optics on a .338 Win Mag with no issues, he only uses it for hunting, so fairly low round count. They are Winnipeg based and operate a store on Marion St near Panet for you locals.

I have a Vortex Diamondback HP and a pair of Diamondback binoculars. They are a little bit nicer than the Scorpion IMO, but keep in mind both brands have multiple product price points. The higher end Vortex stuff is much nicer than any Scorpion product I’ve seen though.

Also of note, the company is Canadian, but the scopes come from overseas. Mostly from China unless things have changed. Looking at the link, prices may have gone up a bit since I bought mine, but our dollar was less in the shitter then too.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Weekend Gunslingers (01-15-2019)

Scorpion Optics is a Canadian company but the scopes are made in the philippines. They are a low end to mid end scope in my opinion. They have really nice glass for their price points but I would stick to their scopes that are over the $300 mark. The biggest complaint I have with them is their lack of reticle options and the reticles they have in some of their scopes. Warranty is pretty simple. If the store can see what the problem is with the scope they will send you out the door with a new one (if they have it in stock). If they can't see or replicate the problem it has to be sent back for testing.

As for the level of warranty, we have a scope with a bullet hole in the bottom of the scope. The scope kept zero and the guy kept shooting with it. He came in to buy a new scope and when we called Scorpion they warrantied the scope. We now use the scope as advertising.

That being said I am still a Vortex fan through and through. FYI Vortex copied the Scorpions "Sting Free Warranty" except for the "over the counter" part.

OP this will not be of any help in your quest. We saw Scorpion at the SHOT Show a few years ago and they are Chinese or Phillipines made, depending on model and imported into Canada. I really did not pay much attention to them so won't comment on quality or value.
    To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 companies in Canada actually making optics is Elcan and Tangent Theta.
    I know King out east claims to make optics but having looked through some of their best I am not convinced they are making anything but a real bad joke.

Senior Member Weekend Gunslingers's Avatar
    I was originally (and still) considering the Vortex Strike Eagle but if I could support a Canadian made comparable optic company, I would want to.
    "Never step in anything soft"
    Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-sW1YrMRwIkTaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Scorpion Optics is a Canadian company but the scopes are made in the philippines. They are a low end to mid end scope in my opinion. They have really nice glass for their price points but I would stick to their scopes that are over the $300 mark. The biggest complaint I have with them is their lack of reticle options and the reticles they have in some of their scopes. Warranty is pretty simple. If the store can see what the problem is with the scope they will send you out the door with a new one (if they have it in stock). If they can't see or replicate the problem it has to be sent back for testing.

As for the level of warranty, we have a scope with a bullet hole in the bottom of the scope. The scope kept zero and the guy kept shooting with it. He came in to buy a new scope and when we called Scorpion they warrantied the scope. We now use the scope as advertising.

That being said I am still a Vortex fan through and through. FYI Vortex copied the Scorpions "Sting Free Warranty" except for the "over the counter" part.
    NF had a scope on display for years at SHOT that had a bullet hole in the tube allegedly from a US military operator who finished his mission with said scope after putting some tape over the holes. Same drill no POI shift only issue was he was stuck on whatever power the scope was set at before the incident.

"At the moment there are four distinct riflescope product lines marketed by Vortex:

least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes
    next (significant) step up are Phillipine-made Diamondback riflescopes
    Viper scopes are another step-up in quality (also Phillipine-made)
    at the top of the line-up are the (absolutely world-class) Razor HD riflescopes that are manufactured in Japan."

For me, it's only appealing if its actually made in Canada. Honesty, for a couple hundred bucks more you can get a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24. Yeah it's only a 1-4 but you get Steiner quality, German Schott glass (probably better than the Scorpion), daylight bright BDC reticle, and it's made in the USA. Every review I've read has been positive. There's a big thread on ARFCOM about it. Irunguns has the version with the included throw lever in stock for about 630 USD. Hard to beat at that price.

SHOT show is just around the corner so you can also wait and see what might be released. I have been holding off on buying the P4Xi until SHOT. If nothing is released to compete with it, I will be buying two. One for my DDM4V5 and one for an upcoming build. If I like 'em as much as everyone else seems to ill probably buy a third for one of my other rifles.

AFAIK there isn't a Canadian made optics company besides Elcan (which is owned by Raytheon anyway)

Here's a review on the Steiner.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Steve MKII

Weekend Gunslingers (01-15-2019)