Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nosler RDF in my 6.5...BC of .658! Stretch it out!
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Hunter View Post
    I weighted my bullets and found the range to be 150.1 to 150.5 grains using Lyman 500 scale.
    That's about 1/4 of 1% variation, impressive.
    If that's across both brands, that's really impressive.
    We get to play with some nice stuff.

One of the things Hornady does is they claim that the SSTs and Interbonds are ballistically identical, meaning you can work up a load and target shoot with SSTs and then switch to the premium Interbonds for hunting, and things should be the same.
    I've never done it, but I'd want to test out the Interbond loads a bit better just loading them and going hunting.
    Also, lots of guys hunt with SSTs with no problems.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Hi Remmy,

I can't comment at this time for my loads as I just reloading now with Hornady sst & Nosler Ballistic tips, all 150 grain.

I would like to know if you weigh your bullets and place in weight groups for target shooting.

I weighted my bullets and found the range to be 150.1 to 150.5 grains using Lyman 500 scale.

Are your bullets similar in weight range?

regards, Mark
    Hi Mark,
    They are. The jury is out on how much the weight variance is going to affect accuracy, especially at the faster velocities. And I've heard mixed opinions based on the rifle that is being used. It'll be interesting to see if the slight variation in weight does affect the groupings and if so, by how much.

One of the things Hornady does is they claim that the SSTs and Interbonds are ballistically identical, meaning you can work up a load and target shoot with SSTs and then switch to the premium Interbonds for hunting, and things should be the same.
    I've never done it, but I'd want to test out the Interbond loads a bit better just loading them and going hunting.
    Also, lots of guys hunt with SSTs with no problems.[/QUOTE]

I have a box of the SST's that I'm looking forward to loading and playing with!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    That's about 1/4 of 1% variation, impressive.
    If that's across both brands, that's really impressive.
    We get to play with some nice stuff.

Also, lots of guys hunt with SSTs with no problems.
    Hi Rory/Remmy,
    That's good to know, I'll have to check that out. I'm thinking of sticking Hornady but lets see what happens in spring target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyPCR700 View Post
    I'm working on some load developments for my Remington PCR 700 in .308 and I have some Barnes and Hornady projectiles to play with. I'm just curious as to what you all have used, what you like and why. I'm going to be working on two different batches. Target and deer loads.
    You left out the most important piece of information ....... how far you need these rounds to shoot?

If we look at the most accurate rifles and ammo in the world, Benchrest, they all use flat based bullets. This is because boat-tailed projectiles are considerably less accurate over a shorter distance. Boat-tails don't really confer an advantage until they get out past 500 - 600yds.

Long, pointed VLD type bullets can be a giant PIA to get to shoot accurately, but they are really the only choice if you are looking to shoot really long distances.

Weight also becomes and issue because it is needed for downrange energy but it also results in longer and potentially less accurate projectiles.

I have had a lot of luck with the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip in my Savage 308. It shoots fantastically, has low recoil and goes far enough downrange to be entertaining. I thought this is a flat based design but looking it up, I find it has a short boat tail, which throws my flat based argument under the bus.

If you don't need long range out of these bullets and are mostly interested in accuracy, look at the lighter weights. They will be easier to wring accuracy out of, and they shoot flatter and faster with less recoil. The 125gr Nosler is listed as a hunting bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    You left out the most important piece of information ....... how far you need these rounds to shoot?

If we look at the most accurate rifles and ammo in the world, Benchrest, they all use flat based bullets. This is because boat-tailed projectiles are considerably less accurate over a shorter distance. Boat-tails don't really confer an advantage until they get out past 500 - 600yds.

Long, pointed VLD type bullets can be a giant PIA to get to shoot accurately, but they are really the only choice if you are looking to shoot really long distances.

Weight also becomes and issue because it is needed for downrange energy but it also results in longer and potentially less accurate projectiles.

I have had a lot of luck with the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip in my Savage 308. It shoots fantastically, has low recoil and goes far enough downrange to be entertaining. I thought this is a flat based design but looking it up, I find it has a short boat tail, which throws my flat based argument under the bus.

If you don't need long range out of these bullets and are mostly interested in accuracy, look at the lighter weights. They will be easier to wring accuracy out of, and they shoot flatter and faster with less recoil. The 125gr Nosler is listed as a hunting bullet.
    Hi Supitin,

I'm only interested in short ranges 100 300yrs. for both hunting and target shooting.

Hi Supitin,

I'm only interested in short ranges 100 300yrs. for both hunting and target shooting.
    Yep, I'm in the same boat. I think we all need to pool our funds and by some property where we can open a proper long shooting facility

Hi Supitin,

Then I wouldn't use anything heavier than 150gr. There is no need.

As I said, I've had excellent results with the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips in my 308 and I've shot them out to 700yds with good accuracy. My rifle produces consistent 5/8" groups with that bullet. IIRC Nosler also makes a 150gr Ballistic Tip that might be Wirth trying.

Then there are higher end bullets like the Berger's.

If possible you want to go with a flat base or something with a short boat tail, not a long VLD or ELD design as those will be much harder to get good accuracy out of.

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyPCR700 View Post
    Yep, I'm in the same boat. I think we all need to pool our funds and by some property where we can open a proper long shooting facility
    I live in a long range shooting facility ..... its called Alberta.

I've shot out to 2000 yds on private property.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

Gothic Line Armoury (01-18-2019), icdbko32 (01-21-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast