Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    I live in a long range shooting facility ..... its called Alberta.

I've shot out to 2000 yds on private property.
    And you're hosting some long range shooting when? :P

I've had very good luck with Hornady A-Max bullets under 200 yards. I used to load them exclusively for my M14 in 155gr when I was doing a lot of shooting.

Lately I'm on the Nosler Accubond Long Range train - been very impressed with the .277 and .308 options, but they are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I've had very good luck with Hornady A-Max bullets under 200 yards. I used to load them exclusively for my M14 in 155gr when I was doing a lot of shooting.

Lately I'm on the Nosler Accubond Long Range train - been very impressed with the .277 and .308 options, but they are more expensive.
    Not sure if the Nosler RDF are available in .308 where you shop, my 6.5 were 48.99 for the box of 100 at Cabela's...quite a bit cheaper than Bergers or Hornady's Match offerings.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

you may like SFRC current price with the 15% off shot show discount currently. good price!

ELD-M, haven't tried the ELD-X but if they shoot anything like the ELD in most of my rifles they'd be great for extended range hunting. Hornady BTHP match also shoot well in every rifle i've tried them in and for a great price if you find the right supplier

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Nosler RDF in my 6.5...BC of .658! Stretch it out!
    what caliber and load you firing those in? I've been struggling to consistent results without flyers in my 6.5 CM

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyPCR700 View Post
    I'm working on some load developments for my Remington PCR 700 in .308 and I have some Barnes and Hornady projectiles to play with. I'm just curious as to what you all have used, what you like and why. I'm going to be working on two different batches. Target and deer loads.
    My PGW has a 1:10" twist barrel. I used to go heavier for the .308 until a couple of years ago. The "new" way of thinking in competition in the USA was "faster and flatter". This meant a lighter bullet weight. I ended up switching from the 175gr- 178gr class projectiles, to 155gr Lapua scenars. Granted, the wind affects them more than the heavier bullets. But the added speed (all things being equal) meant greater accuracy (for my rifle).

I still use the .308win only up to a kilometre for accuracy. Beyond that is just plinking. Although I have consistently rung the steel out to 1300m. I am pleased with my results and would not switch to the heavier bullets (at least with this rifle).

YMMV

EDIT: this rifle has a 24 inch barrel
    Last edited by 6MT; 01-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    My PGW has a 1:10" twist barrel. I used to go heavier for the .308 until a couple of years ago. The "new" way of thinking in competition in the USA was "faster and flatter". This meant a lighter bullet weight. I ended up switching from the 175gr- 178gr class projectiles, to 155gr Lapua scenars. Granted, the wind affects them more than the heavier bullets. But the added speed (all things being equal) meant greater accuracy (for my rifle).

I still use the .308win only up to a kilometre for accuracy. Beyond that is just plinking. Although I have consistently rung the steel out to 1300m. I am pleased with my results and would not switch to the heavier bullets (at least with this rifle).

EDIT: this rifle has a 24 inch barrel
    My Savage Precision Carbine is also a 1:10 but only has a 20" barrel. I've been using the 125gr Ballistic Tips out to 700 yds but they really suffer much beyond that distance. I haven't tried the 150gr VLD type bullets but that is a good idea.

I just happened to have a stock of 208gr AMAX which work OK out beyond 1000 yds but the short barrel limits the velocity I can launch them at.

The nice thing about lighter bullets is less recoil.

I tried 200gr class bullets (208gr, in fact) in my old 26" F-class rifle. While I no longer own it, it did shoot very well out to 1300m for accuracy. I tried in vain to do the mile shot, but never made any hits with it.

The biggest thing I have found with .308win, is when the bullet transitions from supersonic to subsonic. These projectiles become pretty unstable. So you need to pay attention to what distance this transition happens. I think that's why my efforts out to the mile with the 208gr bullets never reaped any fruit.

Have a look at Lapua. I use this on my R700 5R with great success. https://www.lapua.com/bullets/lock-base/
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast