Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cordless chainsaw or sawall?

Someone buying my 6x6x16' beam. But wants it cut ( Yes Im getting the money before ) I was going to use the chainsaw but naturally I cannot get it started. Threw out my shoulder and listed the 2 saws for sale..

When we got our xmas tree, at a u pick. The guy switched to a 40V cordless and loves it. Now I only cut down the odd rotted tree and limbs. So thought about hmmm maybe I should look at one. I have a sawall. But cordless would be nice.. But Chainsaw normally cuts faster and straighter, then a saw all.

So not sure what I really want. What would you pick?
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

I really want a dewalt or Milwaukee cordless chainsaw untill I look at the price tag.
    For the small amount of chainsawing I do, it would be perfect.
    For years i didn't have any chainsaw and used long blades in the sawzall. If you're using good blades you can cut anything as thick as the blade is long.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    When cutting 6x6 I have always used a regular circular saw. Use a square to mark all sides, zip around and then just snap of the little nub in the center. (7 1/4" blade just a tad short) Then use the saw to nip the nub. As for the original question, I would choose the sawzall.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

Billythreefeathers (01-27-2019), Curly1 (01-22-2019), kennymo (01-22-2019)

A corded sawsall is what I like, although since I have the batteries - I wouldn't turn down a rigid cordless one to boot but I borrow what you guys would consider a small gas ryobi chainsaw if I need to cut trees blocking the road.

A 6x6 I'd just use the sawzall or circ saw like falover said - to save money. The guy who is buying it can worry about straightness of the cut.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I have a cordless chainsaw, a Ryobi. Works good around the farm, trimming trees on the shooting range or building fence corners. I still want a Sawzall for other jobs, metal cutting and what not. Could even shorten a barrel in a pinch I went with the Ryobi line cause its a lot cheaper and I don't use it every day, Milwaukee is good if your using it to make a living.

Sawzall, all the way. The chainsaw is a one hit wonder, with different blades, a good sawzall will be a bunch more use around the house.

I had a roughly 20' tree, maybe 10" the base, I took the whole thing down in an afternoon and 2 batteries with my Dewalt.

I have the older 18v version saw, but they make a 20v-18v adapter, so I run 20v 5Ah batteries. Make sure you shop around, the new 20v Dewalt batteries (and the weed wacker and leaf blower i bought) were cheaper on Amazon than any of the box stores. If you get extra batteries with the tools, you can save almost 50% on the batteries vs. buying them separate.

If you go the way I did with 18v tools and 20v batteries, you might be able to get the tools on the cheap used because a lot of folks are going 20v plus.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Run 'n' Gun

Stew (03-29-2019)

I have the Milwaukee Brushless Sawzall with the 9.0amp/h batteries. that thing is a freaking beast.

The Dewalt 20v is just a marketing scheme, https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-20v-max-18v looks good on the packaging :-) . All I see on commercial job sites is Milwaukee now.
    Last edited by DILLIGAF; 01-22-2019 at 05:25 PM.

go rent either and try them

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    When cutting 6x6 I have always used a regular circular saw. Use a square to mark all sides, zip around and then just snap of the little nub in the center. (7 1/4" blade just a tad short) Then use the saw to nip the nub. As for the original question, I would choose the sawzall.
    Id use a handsaw to finish off the little nub. Little cleaner finished product and the saw is already guided by the other cuts. The cheap little Japanese “pullsaw” called sawshark or something is awesome for cutting. Home Depot I think has them.

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    This is excellent advice.

Since you already have a sawzall, I vote chainsaw. Whoever dies with the most tools, wins.
    You’ll need to use some care to make quality cuts on larger wood with a sawzall. With longer blades that tip sure does like to wander.... Higher quality blades can help a bit, the higher end Milwaukee and Lennox ones are great. For truly punishing jobs the Freud carbide blades are cat’s azz. Stainless rod? 4” cast iron plumbing stack? Not a problem.....
    It’ll probably be easier to make a straight, square cut with a chainsaw, you’re right there. Start out straight and it’ll probably stay that way. Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt are making some promising looking cordless chain spinners. The only caveat there is that batteries are expendable. I get somewhere around two years out of Makita 18v batteries using them pretty steady. I keep at least 4 - 3amp and a couple of 1.5 and 4 amp batteries in the lineup at all times for work and run two chargers if I’m making lots of cuts. Maybe find out what a replacement battery will cost?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast