Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I have seen pictures of belted 6.5 CM, though. It would only take a rebarrel of the C6. 500 m danger space. More gooder penetration.
    I have seen those pictures as well

There’s nothing saying that any company can’t make a 6.5cm machibegun, but it’s not what the US Army is going with.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    There’s nothing saying that any company can’t make a 6.5cm machibegun, but it’s not what the US Army is going with.
    The ammo was in US Military marked ammo cans with matching markings. The picture I remember was posted on a US Gun forum was a pile of these ammo cans in an armoury somewhere. I had just skimmed over the image and didn't read the post, so no idea the story on it. Can't find it now though.

The polymer case is the biggest news. Increasing projectile weight by ~70 grains needs a compensating weight savings somewhere. Now I wonder whether it will be an outer layer of aluminium foil bonded to a polymer substrate, to aid extraction

A significant amount of heat is removed with a brass case. If they're going to put this in belts that's going to be an issue. Interesting times.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

kennymo (01-25-2019), Rory McCanuck (01-25-2019)

Like those 270 guys weren't insufferable enough before

If you read through the websites, the actual requirements are classified, but it’s a safe bet that we’re looking at 125-ish grains at 2850-ish FPS.
    That puts it right at the 25-06, 270, 280 performance level, rather potent stuff.
    How accurate is the average soldier going be when dealing with the recoil?
    Maybe plastic cases are like communism, keep trying and we'll get it right this time, promise.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

DasMauser (01-27-2019), joe6167 (01-25-2019), kennymo (01-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    A significant amount of heat is removed with a brass case. If they're going to put this in belts that's going to be an issue. Interesting times.
    I remember reading about polymer cased ammo being used in Machine guns and it said that a whole new machine gun was also being designed in tandem with the ammo. The Machine gun will be lighter as well and was changed to deal with the heat issues.

Oh FFS, not this sh*t again. Gen Milley has been pushing the 6.8 BS for a while now, must be gunning for a cushy job at whatever company wins the contract for the new weapons.

I'll believe it when I see the new rifle and round in the hands of troops. Most likely this will be yet another failed effort to replace the M4 Carbine that gets cancelled after 10 years and billion of dollars that could have been used upgrading current M4s.

One of the main requirements of the new round is to be able to penetrate level IV plates out to 600m. Even if they meet that requirement, someone will just invent plates that defeat the new round.

The issues with 5.56 not reliably fragmenting stems from the use of M855 ammo in 14.5" barrels. M855 needs a higher velocity to reliably fragment, so it doesn't do so great in the M4 carbines or at longer distances. This has been solved with the M855a1 and is a non issue now. Not to mention the other rounds that are available like MK318 and MK262.

How much is the R&D going to cost?
    How much is the new gun going to cost?
    How much is the new ammo going to cost?
    How much are the new mags going to cost?
    What is the new rifle's weight going to be, including the weight of the new rounds and mags?
    What will the new weapon's reliability be?
    What will the new round's recoil be? If the requirements are still the same as before it is going to be a fairly hard kicking rifle.
    Will the price to performance ratio be worth it over the current M4?
    Will all these things be worth it for the logistics of one caliber instead of two?

It seems the better thing to do would be to invest the money in upgrading the M4a1 carbines to an M4a2 configuration. It would probably cost less too.

FF MLOK handguard
    Better buttstocks and pistol grip (B5 bravo or SOPMOD, MIAD adjustable grip. Whatever, this sh*t can be changed by even the dumbest soldier if they don't like the issued one).
    As barrels wear out replace them with CHF barrels with a better profile than M4a1 or gov profile barrels (something like the Noveske N4 .750" or BA Hanson .750" profiles)
    Upgrade to full ambi controls (Mag release and CH).
    Equip the carbines with a Low power variable optic. A 1-6x would probably be the best balance of performance and weight.
    Upgrade to a better trigger like a Geissele SSF. Even an ALG ACT would be a huge upgrade over the current triggers.
    Maybe an upgraded FH, though the A2 has a pretty good price to performance ratio.
    If new 5.56 rounds become available that do a better job than M855a1, adopt it. In the quantities the Army buys ammo, even the most expensive rounds will become cheap (as was the case with M855a1).

Spend the rest on training.

Just my humble, worthless opinion.

Steve,

It’s a done deal, buddy. It’s not just about 6.8 vs 5.56, it’s about the opportunity to have one standard caliber for all small arms, and that’s a big deal (not including pistols and 50 HMGs or sniper rifles).

I think the company clinching the most is Lapua, because they have been getting some decent smaller contracts out of 338, but this may also lead to its demise as well, especially if the 6.8 bullet is slender enough to outperform 7.62 at longer ranges.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

USSSOCOM brought in the 6.5 Creedmoor to replace the 7.62 Sniper rifles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast