Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for first rifle

OK, so as the title says, I am looking to now get my first rifle. I have only had my license for under a year now, so slowly getting the toys that I want. Plus, I need something to go in the safe with my shotgun.

So I am thinking a .308, as here in SW Ontario, it will cover pretty much everything that I can hunt with a rifle, (i.e. deer, bear, etc.).

Narrowed it down to the following options:

A) Tikka T3x: https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-lite#overview

B) Remington 700 SPS: https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...-sps-stainless

C) Browning X-Bolt Hunter: https://www.browning.com/products/fi...lt-hunter.html

I know they are all good rifles. All within the price range that I can comfortably afford. Just looking to see if you all have any preferences, pros/cons, etc. to help me narrow it down even further.

I know, go pick one up and hold it, etc. Which I will definitely do. Just looking for some additional insights, as I am new to all of this.

Thanks in advance guys.

BgDM
    OFAH, CCFR - Looking for hunting friends and mentors in the SW Ontario area!

I have a couple of the SPS's, and several other Remington previous. They are a good rifle, and the factory set up is capable of good groups, but like any other, you will have to try a few flavors of ammo to find the sweet spot. I found the newer version (SPS) the barrel seems to need a bit of seasoning before the true colors came out, others may have different experience. Don't expect anything great for the first 100 or so rounds, after that, my groups tightened right up. Just a caveat on my rifle, I did change the stock and trigger as soon as I bought it, so I don't have before/after data, and it also a 308.

The SPS stock is, well, a POS. If you can afford to change it out, do it, but I have read that some folks do a epoxy fill/bed on them to make them more rigid. I just picked up a SPS 270 and the previous owner had already changed the plastic stock for a Boyd's Laminated version.

I have heard many good things about the Tikka, never fondled one though. Working man's Sako.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

For hunting I'd take the xbolt or tikka, if it was range use only, I'd take the rem700

I base this on:
    My hunting rifle is a 308 xbolt, and my range rifle is a sps tactical.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

The X-bolt has the nicest synthetic stock out of the three IMHO.... Other than that, they’re all pretty good rifles unless you happen upon a lemon. I’m going to say that Remington probably has the highest likelihood of producing a lemon, though I think things have started to improve the last couple years.

I love the shape of the Remington BDL stocks, I wish they’d produce them in a version other than traditional high gloss wood. Also, the Weatherby Vanguard is worth a look. Price point is right there with the others on your list. Howa is the same rifle, but I prefer the Weatherby stock shape for a hunting rifle. YMMV....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

If you buy a new rifle and have to change the stock and trigger, then it seems to make sense to just buy a rifle that already has that figured out.

The Tikka is a really nice rifle, but I don't have much experience with them.

The Browning is a beautiful gun, and they seem to be really accurate.
    The bolt disconnect button thingy is nice for unloading, the bolt is smooth but with just a bit of slop, and the trigger is amazing.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Banned
    Of your choices, to stay on your topic, mine is the X Bolt. Whatever one feels the best to you should be your choice.

I have a Tikka T3X CTR and I find the function, fit, finish and accuracy to be excellent but I don't hunt, I believe forum member Drache does and he may be able to comment on whether it's a good for hunting rifle.
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!

I'm going to vote for the 700 sps.
    That's what I carry around all hunting season, and I think it's just perfect.
    Now if you really want to do it right, you'll get that Remington chambered in 30-06.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Quote Originally Posted by Run 'n' Gun
    The SPS stock is, well, a POS. If you can afford to change it out, do it
    hmmmmmmm.........Good to know. I did play around with a 700 VTR model at Sail a few weeks back. I didn't find it too sloppy. But again, being new to this, I likely wouldn't know any different anyway. But if I am going to, potentially, have to change the stock, then I might as well just buy a different gun. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo
    I’m going to say that Remington probably has the highest likelihood of producing a lemon
    That's kind of what my gut is telling me too. I have read some things about Remington quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo
    Also, the Weatherby Vanguard is worth a look
    Just added that one to the list of options now! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryMcCanuck
    The Browning is a beautiful gun, and they seem to be really accurate.
    The bolt disconnect button thingy is nice for unloading, the bolt is smooth but with just a bit of slop, and the trigger is amazing.
    I have always read and heard nothing but good things about Browning. Guess I will just have to go and see one and go from there. Along with the Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by gtr
    Whatever one feels the best to you should be your choice.
    Exactly. That is the biggest decision maker for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    I have a Tikka T3X CTR and I find the function, fit, finish and accuracy to be excellent
    Good to hear. Will definitely be checking one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox
    Now if you really want to do it right, you'll get that Remington chambered in 30-06
    LOL! Well, I guess that is my next conundrum......... What caliber? .308 & 30-06 are basically the same price for ammo. But I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't .308 have a flatter trajectory than the 30-06? Which to me, would be better suited to hunting?

Thanks for all the input guys. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be bringing one of these home!

BgDM
    OFAH, CCFR - Looking for hunting friends and mentors in the SW Ontario area!

Isn't there some restrictions in some southern Ontario counties 'bout 270 cal. being max. If so, the .270 Win. would be the way to go.
    With the right bullet and shot placement, it will take any game animal in all of Ontario.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast