Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    First thing you need to do is get your membership to the CFO. Unless you are in Ontario it needs to be on file before they will complete the transfer.

Not true at all.

My cousin bought his first restricted online here in Ontario during the recent boxing day sales.

He does not, nor has he ever belonged to a club.

Transfer was completed in IIRC 5 or 6 business days.

He got the registration certificate in the mail about two weeks later.

Retailer: "Because Ontario has so few gun clubs, you do not need to belong to a range to purchase a restricted in Ontario".

EDIT

Or did you mean the range membership ISN'T needed in Ontario? Your wording can be taken both ways.
    Last edited by soulchaser; 02-07-2019 at 09:25 AM.

You can shoot your R on private lands provided that it is safe to do so and you have legal possession of it at the place of discharge. Safe means there are no municipal, provincial or federal laws which would prohibit the loading and discharge of the R or any firearm for that matter since federal law makes no distinction between firearm classification as it pertains to this subject matter. For many rural, bush and prairie places in Canada that's the easy part to establish. The trick is to satisfy the second element of the thing, having legal possession of it at the place. If your registered address is rural with no laws to prohibit loading and discharge and if its an inherently safe place to discharge a firearm your good because you have legal possession of it there. To discharge it at a hunt camp which is a place where firearms may be discharged safely, you would either have to get an ATT to get it there or if your hunt camp is near an approved range join that range or get an invitation to that range for a shoot, ensure that the range is quite a distance from your registered address such that it is more reasonable in the circumstances to overnight at your camp than to drive all the way home 4-5 hours for example then stay at camp and discharge it there but do not build a range or anything that looks like an approved range at the camp so that the approved range regulation is NOT triggered. I could go on but read this from a Canadian Firearms lawyer:

https://plourdelaw.ca/where-can-fire...ed-in-ontario/

You can shoot your R on private lands provided that it is safe to do so and you have legal possession of it at the place of discharge. Safe means there are no municipal, provincial or federal laws which would prohibit the loading and discharge of the R or any firearm for that matter since federal law makes no distinction between firearm classification as it pertains to this subject matter. For many rural, bush and prairie places in Canada that's the easy part to establish. The trick is to satisfy the second element of the thing, having legal possession of it at the place. If your registered address is rural with no laws to prohibit loading and discharge and if its an inherently safe place to discharge a firearm your good because you have legal possession of it there. To discharge it at a hunt camp which is a place where firearms may be discharged safely, you would either have to get an ATT to get it there or if your hunt camp is near an approved range join that range or get an invitation to that range for a shoot, ensure that the range is quite a distance from your registered address such that it is more reasonable in the circumstances to overnight at your camp than to drive all the way home 4-5 hours for example then stay at camp and discharge it there but do not build a range or anything that looks like an approved range at the camp so that the approved range regulation is NOT triggered. I could go on but read this from a Canadian Firearms lawyer:

https://plourdelaw.ca/where-can-fire...ed-in-ontario/

in Alberta you can if you live more than an hour away from where you are purchasing - but that fact has to be presented at the time of transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by soulchaser View Post
    Not true at all.

My cousin bought his first restricted online here in Ontario during the recent boxing day sales.

He does not, nor has he ever belonged to a club.

Transfer was completed in IIRC 5 or 6 business days.

He got the registration certificate in the mail about two weeks later.

Retailer: "Because Ontario has so few gun clubs, you do not need to belong to a range to purchase a restricted in Ontario".

EDIT

Or did you mean the range membership ISN'T needed in Ontario? Your wording can be taken both ways.
    Or Ontario is recognizing the cyclone effect...

The first thing I did when I got my license was to buy a Glock.

Took like month and half to sign up for the club and schedule the intro course before I could officially join and have a place to shoot.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I had one private transfer done within minutes, that is transfer & att issued.
    The guy had a family member in the cfo office lol

We also had a cfo representative at the gun show the first year to do the transfers on the spot. Unfortunately none was sold that weekend.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12