Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Having just gone through my RPAL just over a month ago, I’ll tell you what the instructor told us. You can have a biometric safe on your nightstand doesn’t have to be bolted to anything. The gun does not have to be locked, and you can have a full clip or 6 beside it. Completely legal in B.C.

Storage

Must be unloaded.
    Must be secured by a locking device (e.g. trigger lock) so that it cannot be fired and must be locked into a room or container that is hard to break into; or must be locked in a safe/vault (if locked in a safe, there is no need for a secure locking device).
    Vehicle storage: Locked container with firearm must be locked in the trunk area or other similar compartment. If vehicle does not have such a compartment, the container must be put out of sight and the vehicle locked securely.

Last edited by Roland Deschain; 05-17-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Screwed up the link

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
    Storage

Must be unloaded.
    Must be secured by a locking device (e.g. trigger lock) so that it cannot be fired and must be locked into a room or container that is hard to break into; or must be locked in a safe/vault (if locked in a safe, there is no need for a secure locking device).
    Vehicle storage: Locked container with firearm must be locked in the trunk area or other similar compartment. If vehicle does not have such a compartment, the container must be put out of sight and the vehicle locked securely.
    If you are going with a biometric in a drawer in your nightstand AND you aren't trigger locking, you're leaving yourself open to potential problems with the police/courts. Why? An unsecured single gun biometric "safe" is arguably a "container", not a safe/vault. It has much more in common with a locked gun bag or gun case than it does a floor standing, immovable 800lb dedicated gun safe.

Now, let me be clear, work that grey area if you want, I have 0 issues with your interpretation. But it is not nearly as clear as you suggest.

If you want to cover your butt fully and completely, the setup I outlined covers the restrictions of a gun handgun stored in a container/gun bag/etc. That, imo, is where you want to be in Canauckistan if you plan on using a handgun as part of your home defense strategy.
    "The most important thing you can do in your life is not interfere with somebody else's life."

-- Frank Zappa

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Soph

Roland Deschain (05-30-2019)

This is what I've gone with, and they work very well: https://www.costco.ca/Sentry-Biometr...100095378.html

Full review here: https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...co+sentry+safe

Are your door for about $250 after tax and you now have a legit safe that fits a handgun, a few mags, a flashlight, and some other valuables.

I was surprised how well the finger print scanner actually works. It works on every finger for me and my wife, but we've had lots of other family try to get it open and it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Soph View Post
    If you are going with a biometric in a drawer in your nightstand AND you aren't trigger locking.
    I disagree, it meets all legal requirements of a safe, primarily being a six-sided lockable metal container.

And it's not there for protection, because you're not allowed to have a handgun for protection. It's (they're) there because I don't like the thought of a criminal breaking into my house and finding the big safe and finding a way to leave with that.

Having extra mini safes around increases my probability that I won't lose everything because I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket. Definitely not an intent to have it for protection, as that would be wrong.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

Roland Deschain (05-30-2019), Swingerguy (05-31-2019), Tonsper (05-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    This is what I've gone with, and they work very well: https://www.costco.ca/Sentry-Biometr...100095378.html

I disagree, it meets all legal requirements of a safe, primarily being a six-sided lockable metal container.

And it's not there for protection, because you're not allowed to have a handgun for protection. It's (they're) there because I don't like the thought of a criminal breaking into my house and finding the big safe and finding a way to leave with that.

Having extra mini safes around increases my probability that I won't lose everything because I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket. Definitely not an intent to have it for protection, as that would be wrong.
    Thanks for the info on the safe, looks like a good unit.

Regarding the above, if it is securely mounted so as not to simply be carried off, you have an argument. If it is not, it is absolutely no different than my gun bag or any factory gun case (it is 6 sided, with multiple locks, and just as difficult/easy to get into, and portable).

And I can definitely use a handgun to protect myself, my home and my family. I cannot use those as reasons to PURCHASE the weapon or to obtain my RPAL even. But after I have purchased the weapon for target shooting purposes, I can certainly use it for defensive purposes should the situation arises and circumstances warrant.
    Last edited by Soph; 06-04-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    "The most important thing you can do in your life is not interfere with somebody else's life."

-- Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12