Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "...They chamber fine in the rifle..." Nothing else matters. The chamber is the best case gauge there is.
    However, you need to chamfer the case mouths. That replaces the case mouth flare done to a straight wall rifle case(and handgun cases.). Easiest way to lightly lube the inside of 'em is to screw the case mouths into a lube pad. And use an FL or Small Base sizer die. An AR, being a semi-auto, requires FL resizing every time.
    Oh and the case dimensions of a .223 and a 5.56NATO case are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I have loaded tens of thousands of straight-wall cartridges, so I'm spoiled by how idiot proof that is. Then I got a stupid AR...

A significant number of cases won't sit all the way in the case gauge. It's usually no more than the rim thickness sticking out. I can take most of the cases and stick them in backwards, so I don't think the rims are oversized (except maybe the Norinco stuff). Most of the brass I'm messing with right now is Federal, because the local constabulary doesn't like picking it up. I wish they would switch to another brand.

I think the necks are getting pulled out a bit, and that's what's causing it. The radius at the bottom of the necks on some of them look a bit like a 45 degree angle. They chamber fine in the rifle, which has a 556 chamber. Yeah, I know that's what is important, but I didn't buy instruments to ignore them.

Ideas?
    Yea. Dump that stupid gauge and go with the only thing that matters .... the ammo chambers correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I read one time of 223 and 556 not intermixing well. One would fit in the other but not vice versa. Die 223 or 556? Gauge 223 or 556?
    223 and 556 chambers are IDENTICAL.

The only difference between the two is in the throat, which is not part of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Range pick ups from the local cops suggests to me that these are fired from an AR. If it has a healthy, oversized chamber for extra reliability, you may want to consider a small base sizer die for these...
    I have reloaded many thousands upon thousands of rounds for use in an AR and never have I owned a small base die. They are pointless and not needed.

Your logic is a tad circular. If the chamber is oversized, then sizing the brass down further than normal will just make the ammo even sloppier in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Yea. Dump that stupid gauge and go with the only thing that matters .... the ammo chambers correctly.

223 and 556 chambers are IDENTICAL.

The only difference between the two is in the throat, which is not part of the chamber.

I have reloaded many thousands upon thousands of rounds for use in an AR and never have I owned a small base die. They are pointless and not needed.

Your logic is a tad circular. If the chamber is oversized, then sizing the brass down further than normal will just make the ammo even sloppier in the chamber.
    Dump that stupid gauge and go with the only thing that matters .... the ammo chambers correctly. AGREED!
    223 and 556 chambers are IDENTICAL. AGREED!!

The only difference between the two is in the throat, which is not part of the chamber. WRONG, the throat IS part of the rifle barrels chamber. I KNOW you know this so assume a simple error in typing?

Using small base dies "can be" of benefit especially when using the same ammo in several different rifles, especially if they have tighter chambers cut.

I was thinking the same thing about the case gauge
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

I knew there was a reason I didn't own a case gauge for any pistol ammo. I just chamber check match ammo with the barrel out. That's obviously not doable with a rifle.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

Suputin (02-11-2019)

I knew there was a reason I didn't own a case gauge for any pistol ammo. I just chamber check match ammo with the barrel out. That's obviously not doable with a rifle.
    Depending on the rifle, yes it is. On most bolt actions and ARs pulling the firing pin is simple and makes checking safe.

Exactly. Never understood the whole "case gauge" thing. Never found a need for one.

Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    The only difference between the two is in the throat, which is not part of the chamber. WRONG, the throat IS part of the rifle barrels chamber. I KNOW you know this so assume a simple error in typing?

Using small base dies "can be" of benefit especially when using the same ammo in several different rifles, especially if they have tighter chambers cut.
    IMO the throat is not part of the chamber. While it would not be a good idea, it would be possible to chamber and fire a round without a throat cut into the rifling. (yes, this would require ammo seated or configured differently)

While the throat is normally a part of the reamer, it doesn't have to be. There are separate throating reamers available in order to create custom throat dimensions. Hence the reason I would argue the throat is not part of the chamber.

WRT the concept of a "tight chamber" that is predicated on the length (headspace) and not the diameter, which is what a small-base die would alter.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    WRT the concept of a "tight chamber" that is predicated on the length (headspace) and not the diameter, which is what a small-base die would alter.
    I have a couple guns with 'loose' chambers, and it is definitely a diameter thing, not length.
    Cases come out with a muffin top just above the case head.
    The shoulder hasn't moved forward at all.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    I have a couple guns with 'loose' chambers, and it is definitely a diameter thing, not length.
    Cases come out with a muffin top just above the case head.
    The shoulder hasn't moved forward at all.
    It is possible if the reamer wasn't held correctly but its not supposed to be that way. The chamber reamer is supposed to be ground to SAAMI specs and there is no adjustment in the diameter of the reamer.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Rory McCanuck (02-11-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast