Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've actually measured any of that brass, it might just be at the high end.
    I'm not in the business of making reamers, but wouldn't you make it as large as the max dimension and sharpen it a couple times until it is too small?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I read one time of 223 and 556 not intermixing well. One would fit in the other but not vice versa. Die 223 or 556? Gauge 223 or 556?
    Not so; there is no difference in the cartridge dimensions externally; Mil spec 5.56 does have a slightly thicker cartridge wall (who knows why) which may have a slight impact on pressures. Where the difference lies is in chambers; 5.56 5.56 Mil spec chambers are generally a bit looser. Why? to reduce feeding issues.

There is a lot of difference in brass; once fired Federal AE is a bugger to re-load; primers are excessively crimped; hard to push out, and require swagging, reaming or champfering in order to get the new primers in without hardship. AE brass may be poorer quality as well; thinner than average; I find that after seating the bullet with no crimp, some cases develop a bulge just below the shoulder. I set these aside, and give them a touch in the sizing die with the primer removal pin removed to smooth them out. I get fewer reloads out of it as well.

Up to present, the 5.56 brass that friends have given me, de-primes and primes more easily; the cases are less prone to deformation during reloading, and their length remains more stable after multiple reloads. Some are Remington, but the others, I am not sure what they are. The AE I know because I bought a bunch of bulk ammo; and they are why I resumed reloading .223; in my AR I can only hope to get 4" (4moa) groups with AE 55gr. When I home-load 55gr., my groups instantly become sub MOA, often dime sized at 100 yards. Inaccurate ammo is no fun.

Use the case lube of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Not so; there is no difference in the cartridge dimensions externally; Mil spec 5.56 does have a slightly thicker cartridge wall (who knows why) which may have a slight impact on pressures. Where the difference lies is in chambers; 5.56 5.56 Mil spec chambers are generally a bit looser. Why? to reduce feeding issues.

There is a lot of difference in brass; once fired Federal AE is a bugger to re-load; primers are excessively crimped; hard to push out, and require swagging, reaming or champfering in order to get the new primers in without hardship. AE brass may be poorer quality as well; thinner than average; I find that after seating the bullet with no crimp, some cases develop a bulge just below the shoulder. I set these aside, and give them a touch in the sizing die with the primer removal pin removed to smooth them out. I get fewer reloads out of it as well.

Up to present, the 5.56 brass that friends have given me, de-primes and primes more easily; the cases are less prone to deformation during reloading, and their length remains more stable after multiple reloads. Some are Remington, but the others, I am not sure what they are. The AE I know because I bought a bunch of bulk ammo; and they are why I resumed reloading .223; in my AR I can only hope to get 4" (4moa) groups with AE 55gr. When I home-load 55gr., my groups instantly become sub MOA, often dime sized at 100 yards. Inaccurate ammo is no fun.

Use the case lube of your choice.
    BTW, larger calibers are way easier to reload; .223 has always been a PITA.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    BTW, larger calibers are way easier to reload; .223 has always been a PITA.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
    You ought to try a 17 then.

I had to make a custom adapter just to be able to use my powder funnel on those teeny little necks.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

lone-wolf (02-12-2019), Rory McCanuck (02-12-2019)

Seating 26gr bullets in a 204 is a pain, I don't know how you'd do 17s, tweezers?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I use my fingers but you do need to be careful not to pinch yourself with the seating die. Cause with all that leverage, it'd remove a nice chunk of skin.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Rory McCanuck (02-12-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123