View Poll Results: Sell my SG and get a PRS S2?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it!

7 41.18%
  • No, don't be a fool!

10 58.82%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Nice!

Here's mine.

Attachment 12551

The pearl pick guard isn't my favourite. I need a new knob too. The neck and body are in good shape. The guy I bought it off got it in trade and didn't want it. The trem was all out of whack. Never had one before so I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and managed to level it (and raise the action, it was so low that all frets buzzed on all strings) and get it tuned and locked.

But the pickups, man lol. Someone really bubba'd it to get that single coil quack sound. The caps are missing and the wiring is a mess. I'm going to get that taken care of by a local guy who does repairs. A pickup swap out I'd attempt myself but the entire thing needs to be re-done.

The neck is a "Wizard II" which I guess a lot of people complain about it being too flat with "D" edges. Not a problem for me. Though I have big hands. So far its been great to have a guitar out and ready right next to my desk. Not that I want to bang it up, but I don't worry about accidents. Its just there to play when I want.

EDIT: Why does GOC insist on rotating my images lol
    EDIT AGAIN: Fixed image
    Nice. Yeah those Wizard and Wizard II necks are very thin. My Ibanez is the same. I don't play mine anymore, I just keep it because it was the guitar I learned to play on. It makes for a guitar I can practice with and not have to worry about getting beat up though if I'm traveling and have space for it or something.

Put some Seymour Duncans in there and see how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Because itís not a gun or bacon. Your posts have been weighed, measured, and found lacking. Hence they must be looked at askew...
    Pictures of guitars are just as good as pictures of guns and bacon.

Haven't sold my Gibson (yet?). But I bought a cheap '94 Ibanez RG-270R. Guy I bought it from got it in trade from someone else. That someone else "modified" the electrics to that the pickups had some serious quack tone. Had my son's music teacher who also repairs guitars and amps fix that. The guitar is in great shape otherwise. No fret sprout or rough edges etc. Last time I tried an Ibanez would have been around 1990 and I remember thinking the neck felt like playing a yard stick lol. Now I really like the neck, but my tendons don't. So it will be going.

WP_20190219_17_10_45_Pro.jpg

So I picked up this (also '94) MIM Strat. Has a few battle scars on the body that you don't see unless you're close and the neck is in great shape. Has a little tiny bit of fret sprout (I'll learn to file that via YouTube lol). The electrics crackled and were flaky but some de-oxit solved that. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and the mid/neck are stock. Sounds great, feels great. This is my first Strat and I'm liking it.

IMG_0799.jpg

I've been saving up for a new guitar, something middle price range, and will be buying that this summer. Haven't settled on anything yet. Was thinking Ibanez until my tendons said no lol. Yes Gibson Les Paul Studios are in the running among some others. We'll have to see when the time comes.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/
    https://lavscam.info

Haven't had much time to post lately with my studies but I saw this and had to say congrats and HNGD! applause.gif. Strats are great guitars, my next guitar will be either a Strat or a Tele as I need some single coils in my life. Those MIM's offer great bang for the buck.

DON'T SELL THAT SG! For god's sake don't do it!

An LP studio would probably fit your needs perfectly, much more affordable but you can still get a good guitar. I recommend buying used of course to avoid having to pay Long & McQuade's ridiculous prices (or having to pay tax).

Keep an eye out on the local Craigslist/kijiji/usedeverywhere but also check out places like MLP or Guitars Canada as members are always selling gear on there and sometimes they sell them slightly cheaper to forum members.

MLP and Guitars Canada, Iíll have to check them out. Been looking on Reverb.com too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/
    https://lavscam.info

Yeah Reverb is a good place to watch as well, I recommend that you if buy from a seller on Reverb to use PayPal instead of Reverb's direct payment. If you use their direct payment you only get 7 days buyer protection whereas paypal give you 6 months. I speak from personal experience although reverb's customer service is EXCELLENT. There are a ton of forums but If you're looking for an LP you'll have probably have the most luck on MyLesPaul or the LesPaulForum I think is the other one. I can't speak to the LPF because I'm not a member but MLP has lots of classifieds and some good dealers there as well. I'm not a member of Guitars Canada either but since it's a Canadian forum you can avoid currency exchanges etc (though there are a number of Canadian members on MLP).

If you buy a guitar from the US just make sure that the seller either has a CITES export permit for the rosewood board OR ship it to a US address and go pick it up (you don't need a permit if you drive across and pick it up).

You can check Long & McQuade's deal center/local store specials as well, sometimes you'll find something there.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Steve MKII

Doug_M (04-28-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234