View Poll Results: Does your gun club require Criminal Records Checks?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 1.64%
  • No

60 98.36%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Poll: Does your Gun Club Require Criminal Record Checks?

Does your club require additional criminal records checks over and above that which the Government already does?

That would be redundant given what's involved with the PAL
    Remember High River!

3. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By Neil Burke

Camo tung (02-11-2019), Doug_M (02-11-2019), IJ22 (02-11-2019), labradort (02-13-2019), lone-wolf (02-11-2019), PatrickR (02-11-2019), Relic49 (02-11-2019), Suputin (02-11-2019)

Having a PAL is not an approved check for overseeing youth (child care, tutor; but not including nannies and babysitters), or senior care (including visiting in long term care facilities).
    There are a list of professionals that are required by law to have a background check, but I doubt any of them are related to a gun club.
    Note that a PAL background check is mostly about violence, so shoplifting might be overlooked for a PAL but may be important for senior care.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

awndray (02-11-2019), Neil Burke (02-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Having a PAL is not an approved check for overseeing youth (child care, tutor; but not including nannies and babysitters), or senior care (including visiting in long term care facilities).
    What you're referring to is a vulnerable sector check.

I don't know if our club does, but many organizations should and do. Mapleseed comes to mind. They had me submit one when applying for an instructor role.
    Last edited by awndray; 02-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Doug_M (02-11-2019)

No, we figure if you are good to get a gun with the RCMP , you are good with us.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Does your club require additional criminal records checks over and above that which the Government already does?
    I would not belong to a club that did. Its NONE of their business. The ONLY thing they need to be concerned about is that members have a PAL.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Soph (02-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I don't know any that do, and I certainly wouldn't be a member of any that do (not by their choice, but by mine). More people sticking their noses into other peoples business is very much what we don't need.
    "The most important thing you can do in your life is not interfere with somebody else's life."

-- Frank Zappa

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Soph

Tonsper (02-11-2019)

For the average gun club member it would go too far but if the club ran a junior shooting program or other activity directed at younger people a full police record check and vulnerable sector check of adults directly involved in the program would be prudent. Both go much further than a simple PAL screening.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/types-c...kground-checks

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Two For Sure

Billythreefeathers (02-12-2019)

Funny enough, I just got certified as an instructor in NB to teach firearm safety and hunter ed, and the province needed an RCMP background check.

I tried to start the conversation with "Don't you know that by having a PAL that I alre..." and I didn't even bother. It was free, so I gave them their piece of redundant paper.

I could understand the vulnerable sector check discussed above because I'll be teaching to minors, but they wanted both.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 02-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    What you're referring to is a vulnerable sector check.

I don't know if our club does, but many organizations should and do. Mapleseed comes to mind. They had me submit one when applying for an instructor role.
    I really don't see gun owners as being a "vulnerable" sector.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast