Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does my 590A1 need to see a Gunsmith?

So the other day I was cleaning my 590A1 after a range session as it'd been a few times since I cleaned it and the safety was feeling a bit sticky. (I figured it was just gummed up from shooting cheap ammo.) So I disassembled it and cleaned it, added the barest hint of lubrication (like one drop on a cleaning cloth) and reassembled it. Everything seemed to be perfect again. The safety worked just fine, the action release let the pump rack, the shell lifer raised/lowered as it should.
    But I got to the range the other night and suddenly the bolt wouldn't go all the way to the rear (like it did after I cleaned it). So I disassembled it today when I got a chance and found a chunk of loose metal lodged up top near the safety. I pulled the metal out (I'll attach a couple pictures so you can see it) and reassembled the gun. Now, once again, everything seems to work fine. The action release works, pump slides back all the way, shell lifter raises/lowers, etc...
    But...
    I'm worried about where this chunk of metal came from. I don't see where it might have sheared off from (though I didn't fully disassemble and inspect each/every component). So then, other 590A1 owners, have you ever come across this same issue? Is it something to be concerned about? Does my gun need to see a gunsmith to get repaired? Should I try to locate where I think the metal sheared off from first?

590A1 metal piece .jpg590A1 metal piece - alt angle.jpg

I'm no expert, but my mechanical engineering brain says pull the whole thing apart and have a look see where this may have come from and go from there before you drop any ammo into it and start firing.
    OFAH, CCFR - Looking for hunting friends and mentors in the SW Ontario area!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By BgDM

Suputin (04-12-2019)

Looks like a busted safety lock.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/52320B
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

kennymo (02-08-2019), lone-wolf (02-08-2019), Rory McCanuck (02-10-2019), Stew (02-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Looks like a busted safety lock.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/52320B
    Was just about to post this. It's the piece that your thumb safety screws into. If you haven't lost your safety button yet, you will soon

That looks close to part of the broken piece... It might be it. Though like you said I'll have to disassemble and inspect every part now just to be sure. (At least I have a better idea what I'm potentially looking for now.)

How old and well used is the shotgun?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I bought it brand new in February 2018. As for how well used... It's seen about 1200 shells though it since purchase. (Mostly target load, but some slugs here and there.)

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Jay.ec

lone-wolf (02-09-2019)

An astute observation there, Robert. Not a Mossberg owner, but I am curious, is that part cast, or MIM? Are there machined steel replacements?

"...brand new in February 2018..." Means it's still under warrantee. Start here with an e-mail. servicecanada@mossberg.com
    These guys are a Canadian Mossberg warrantee repair shop. http://www.grechoutdoors.ca/

Wait... the warrantee is a year? I thought it was only like 6 months.

If that's the case then I'll take a look at that option.

Edit to add:
    I reread the owners manual. As it turns out the warrantee is actually 10 years but only for the original owner.
    Last edited by Jay.ec; 02-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast