Peter Tork (The Monkees) dead at 77

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...77/2938399002/

Peter Tork was a founding member of the pop group The Monkees who topped the charts in the 1960s. He passed away at age 77.

USA TODAY

Peter Tork, the bassist for 1960s rock favorites the Monkees, is dead at 77.

Tork's cause of death is not yet public, though he was diagnosed with a rare tongue cancer, adenoid cystic carcinoma, in 2009.

Tork's Monkees bandmate Micky Dolenz confirmed the news on Twitter, writing, "There are no words right now...heart broken over the loss of my Monkee brother, Peter Tork."

The band's official Twitter also paid tribute to Tork with a clip of the singer. "@TorkTweet has passed peacefully at the age of 77. We'll be remembering him throughout the day.

Peter Halsten Thorkelson was born in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 13, 1942. A talented multi-instrumentalist, he moved to New York after attending college and became part of Greenwich Village's famed folk scene of the early '60s. Tork auditioned for the Monkees, the fictitious pop group that was formed for the television sitcom of the same name, after his friend – and soon-to-be rock 'n' roll great– Stephen Stills suggested he try outfor the show.
    Along with Davy Jones, Dolenz and Michael Nesmith, Tork would become one of the founding members of the Monkees, appearing with his bandmates on the program between 1966-1968. With hits including "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer" and "Daydream Believer," the Monkees were one of the highest-charting acts of the late '60s.

In honor of Tork's iconic work on the show, MeTV Network plans to pay tribute with a special presentation of "The Monkees" on Feb. 24 (5 EST/PST). "Laugh along with two stories centering around Peter," the network tweetedWednesday.

Tork left the group and TV show in 1968, teaming back up with Jones and Dolenz in 1986 for a successful 20th anniversary tour. In the years after, Tork largely played with his groups Peter Tork Project, The Dashboard Saints and Shoe Suede Blues. Tork also pursued acting, appearing in episodes of shows including "Boy Meets World," "7th Heaven" and "The King of Queens" in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Following his cancer diagnosis, Tork wrote about his disease in a 2009 essay for The Washington Post.

"I don't count myself as being afraid to die, but the news hit me like a fist to the chest," he wrote, describing his decision not to cancel his live shows after undergoing surgery. "I know I'm taking a chance here, because one of the side effects of the radiation is supposed to be hoarseness," he wrote. "The radiologist told me, 'Well, you play guitar and you sing. Perhaps you won't sing, but maybe you'll play guitar a lot more.'"

In 2016, the Monkees released “Good Times!,” their first album in 20 years, and their first since Davy Jones died in 2012.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Sad news...
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; For you are crunchy. And good with Mustard!

"A new broom sweeps clean, but only a battle-trowel can hide the bodies" - Foxer describing Blacksmithden

CCFR, CSSA & NRA Member...
    Frontenac Rifle & Pistol Club

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Classic 60's childhood memories. They had one cool car.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

Coke (02-22-2019), Doug_M (02-22-2019)

Everything The Monkees released was played by actual skilled musicians. A studio group loosely called The Wrecking Crew. They did the sound of the Partridge Family, The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, popular TV themes like Hawaii-Five-O, Bonanza, Frank Sinatra, and many more.

As Carol Kaye says, if kids knew the music they listened to was played by people that looked like their parents, they would never buy the albums.

6. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By labradort

Doug_M (02-22-2019), Rory McCanuck (02-21-2019), TJSpeller (02-22-2019), Turtlehead (03-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Classic 60's childhood memories. They had one cool car.
    The GTO is still one of my all time favorites

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Loved that show as a kid. Peter Tork was my favourite character on the show and later I learned he and Nesmith were the only ones who were actual musicians in the beginning (with Tork being a "true" musician). While Labradort is correct in that studio musicians played on their early albums, the Monkees did actually play on their later albums. Anyway, Tork seemed like an affable fellow and the show was fun.
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    https://lavscam.info

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

Coke (02-22-2019), FALover (02-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    Everything The Monkees released was played by actual skilled musicians. A studio group loosely called The Wrecking Crew. They did the sound of the Partridge Family, The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, popular TV themes like Hawaii-Five-O, Bonanza, Frank Sinatra, and many more.

As Carol Kaye says, if kids knew the music they listened to was played by people that looked like their parents, they would never buy the albums.
    I watched that movie. Utterly fascinating if you were at child of that era. Worth a watch.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

11. The Following User Liked This Post By TJSpeller

Doug_M (02-22-2019)

If you haven't watched the Wrecking Crew yet I highly recommend it for music fans. If you have watched it...the drummer featured in the documentary died recently.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ardine-807270/

just an excerpt....

Al Jardine Remembers Hal Blaine’s Work With the Beach Boys: ‘We Got Lucky’

Hal was like an artist with a paintbrush. His genius is that he would add a particular part of his own. Listen to the cymbals on “California Girls.” We didn’t use cymbals much in those days. But that was a tasty little trademark right in the intro. Brian produced an amazing track for “Sloop John B.” I love the part when it goes to straight 8’s. We called it the “cowboy section,” with the oom-pa-pa, but in drummer language, it was 8s.

Hal would be told what to play, but make it better. That was his special talent. He enhanced all of our Beach Boys recordings. He gave them a breadth and depth that only experience brings. We got lucky.
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    https://lavscam.info