Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Winchester Ammunition Recall 38 Special

Don't recall seeing this on the GOC Forum, just got this in my email:

https://winchester.com/Support/Custo...A38SPVP-Recall
    PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE
    WINCHESTER® 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket

Olin Winchester, LLC (“Winchester”) is recalling three (3) lots of 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket centerfire ammunition.

Symbol: USA38SPVP

Lot Numbers: KF21, KL30 and KM52

Winchester has determined the above lots of 38 Special ammunition may contain incorrect powder charges. Ammunition with excessive powder charges may cause firearm damage, rendering it inoperable, and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury or death.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® 38 SPECIAL 130 GRAIN SYMBOL USA38SPVP WITH LOT NUMBERS KF21, KL30 or KM52. The ammunition Lot Number is ink stamped inside the right tuck flap of the 100-round carton as indicated here. The symbol is printed above the UPC bar code.

USA38SPVP.jpg

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol and Lot Number. If it is Symbol USA38SPVP with Lot Number KF21, KL30 or KM52, immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 844-653-8358 for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol USA38SPVP with Lot Numbers KF21, KL30 and KM52. Other Symbol or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 38 Special centerfire ammunition recall please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: USA38SPVP Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

WINCHESTER

February 27th, 2019
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

2. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

FALover (02-28-2019)

Or, just keep it simple:
    DO NOT USE WINCHESTER®
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Mobusten (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Or, just keep it simple:
    I was out yesterday verifying the sight-in on my CZ 455 17 HMR. The accuracy of the winchester stuff I was shooting was really bad compared to everything else. I found out why; the necks of over half the cases split. No issues with the Hornady ammo or brass. Super accurate.

Do you think it would be safe to use in a 357 though?

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Ask Winchester!
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isn’t hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    In my inexpert opinion.

No.

Winchester ammunition is fine, right up until they tell you not to use it.

I get that 357's are stronger chambers than 38 special. Nonetheless, no.

Sorry, silly question. I'm not even convinced that Winchester ammo is fine. The brass seems to have wider tolerances than most.

I’m with Rangebob. IMHO not worth the risk.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Not many in Canada would be using 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket .38's. Don't recall ever seeing 100 round boxes of .38 Special in Canada either. Mind you, I quit using .38 Special ammo or brass eons ago.
    "...safe to use in a 357 though?..." That "with excessive powder charges" doesn't get any more vague. It could be excessive for .357 too. If you have the stuff, contact 'em. UPS Canada doesn't carry ammo according to their site.