Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Southpaw Rimfires

So my Nephew is getting a .22 for Christmas this year. But thereís a hitch, heís a lefty. My sister and brother in law are looking around for options but there isnít much locally. Iíve been trying to dig something up for them over the last few days, but there isnít much out there.

Any suggestions?

He really wants a semi auto, but Iím not sure which of them would be conducive to left handed shooting. The other option is a left handed bolt in a wood stock. All I can locate is a Savage MkII in standard walnut/blued trim. Anyone seeing anything else? Any lefties shooting a Henry lever? Thatís another thought.... Budget is in the $300-$400 range.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Browning SA22 ejects from the bottom, so no issues for left or right handers.
    A little over the budget, but there may be the opportunity to get a good used one.
    Have to admit I haven’t seen any southpaw bolt rimfires.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Savage 64 comes in a left hand. I was considering one for the giggles at one point. I still might, someday.

I put a few rounds through the Henry and while it works I was put off by the pot metal feel. A friend had one with feeding issues but I do not know what sort of ammo he used.

I tried one of the Cabela Black Friday Savage A22s that a fellow brought to the range. The trigger mech on that one is weird and notchy,not at all what you’d expect from an accutrigger. No issues otherwise.

P&D in Edmonton usually has some left hand Savages,but I think that other than the one you mention, the btvls is the only other option, which is outside of budget.

I think Epps or The Gun Dealer had a left hand Savage 64 when I last looked...

Otherwise, so long as he’s wearing glasses the semi autos aren’t much of a problem. Just the odd bit of flaming crap to the face. Mind you, once I went with standard velocity ammo that has stopped.

I’d mention CZ 452, but the LH ones are a premium over the regular ones :/
    Last edited by Mark-II; 12-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    SchrŲdinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Browning SA22 ejects from the bottom, so no issues for left or right handers.
    A little over the budget, but there may be the opportunity to get a good used one.
    Have to admit I haven’t seen any southpaw bolt rimfires.
    Ohhh the little SA is sweet. So petite. I know the norinco clone can be had dirt cheap. I’ve also heard at least one guy buying 2 or 3 to make one running gun out of it. I’d hesitate on a Chinese copy of a gun from the era of hand fitting and fine tolerances.

My dad picked up a used scoped SA at the last gun show for a very fair price, but which would still be over budget.

There’s also the Browning T-Bolt, to round out lefty rimfires, but that’s at a price bordering on ridiculous.

For off hand shooting of bolt guns a lefty bolt is best. If he’s bench shooting, either or in a bolt action. I shoot bench and buy LH mostly to feel special, but RH actually works a bit better from a rest.

If irons are used, the reach over technique for running a bolt is fine, but you probably cannot keep it shouldered.
    Last edited by Mark-II; 12-09-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    SchrŲdinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Cabela’s has the Norinco SA knockoffs, but I’m not sure how I feel about them. I handled one, and they just don’t seem to feel the way my memory thinks the Browning version should feel. Something’s off with the weight or the wood or...something...

There’s a vintage lefty T-bolt languishing in the library. But for $1300 it can sit a bit longer. Hell, the ratty looking right hand model for $900 can keep holding down the cabinet too...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I brought in a lefty T-bolt a year or so ago via the grey market, because no one up here had the target/varmint model. Even that was “only” in the $900 range. Cabelas really needs to retain staff who know something about firearms when valuing things...

Maybe the Savage 64? Worst thing I hear about them is the mags wear out. A friend down east has one and she likes it.

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    So my Nephew is getting a .22 for Christmas this year. But there’s a hitch, he’s a lefty. My sister and brother in law are looking around for options but there isn’t much locally. I’ve been trying to dig something up for them over the last few days, but there isn’t much out there.

Any suggestions?

He really wants a semi auto, but I’m not sure which of them would be conducive to left handed shooting. The other option is a left handed bolt in a wood stock. All I can locate is a Savage MkII in standard walnut/blued trim. Anyone seeing anything else? Any lefties shooting a Henry lever? That’s another thought.... Budget is in the $300-$400 range.
    GSG-16 Ambidextrous Charging Handle?
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Savage makes most of it's rimfires in lefty. availability would be the issue, possibly a sponsoring store could bring in what you want

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ube=off&fsamt=

I think you may have left it too late. Most correctly oriented left hand rifles are a special order thing. Unless a shop's distributor has one, it won't be here for Xmas.
    Epp's is showing a Savage Mk II wood, a Savage GL and 2 Savage Rascals in left hand bolt action. No semi's at all. Not many of those, if there are any.
    Anschutz makes several left handed rifles, but cheap they ain't. $1,399.00 for an 18" 1416L D HB G Classic at the Calgary Shooting Centre. Their site says they have 1 in stock.
    It won't make any difference if it's left or right anyway. Been using my Cooey M64(same thing as the Savage) left handed for far longer than I care to remember(I think I was 17 when I bought it. Came with 2 steel mags then.) with no fuss. Ditto for assorted battle rifles and MG's. Doesn't matter much with a bolt action either.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Neil Burke (12-10-2019)

Out of budget and probably out of stock, but the Tanfoglio Appeal can be swapped to LH ejection out of the box and is a 22LR bullpup.
    Remember High River!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast