Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

caliber selection

ok GOCer's I need some advice. I am going to get a mare leg at tax return time, have decided on the Henry. I have tried the Rossi and the puma, and the Henry, i just like the Henry best. What I need help with is picking a caliber. I dont want 45 colt. love the round, its the ammo availability that sucks. I am trying to decide between the .357 or the .44 magnums. Keep in mind that eventually, I will get bored and put a full buttstock on it and use it as a carbine. Feel free to weigh in with pros and cons, and personal experience guys.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

i ended up with a rossi in 45 colt. Availability hasnt been that bad, and when i get a set of dies it will be that much better. on the other hand, my dad has one in 44 mag. Its quite the caliber powerwise when you compare it to the relatively anemic 45 colt. I dont know if its possible, but I have played with the idea of having mine worked up to a 454 Casull. In the short term, the 44 mag would be my choice.

2 questions...

What are you going to use it for? Target, hunting, mix of both?

Are you going to reload for it?

.357 is good for store bought ammo because you can fire 38 spl of out it when you don't need to knock something down. 44 mag is good for knocking things down, and you can load light for target.
    --
    Chris Miller

to start, no, not reloading. more just a gopher/camping/plinking toy. eventually i will reload, but not in the cards for a while
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller82 View Post
    .357 is good for store bought ammo because you can fire 38 spl of out it when you don't need to knock something down. 44 mag is good for knocking things down, and you can load light for target.
    You just posted what I was going to.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    go with the 44mag!
    you can always shoot 44spl for "plinking"
    I run the same 44spl loads in my SAA as my Marlin 1894C in 44mag/spl...very convenient "plinking"....

38/357 is hardly worthy of a pistol caliber let alone a rifle...maybe just get a sling shot...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I'd go .44. Lots of available bullets for when you reload, and you'll want to reload.
    It'll do a great job of knocking over things bigger than a pop can, too.

I'd say skip the mares leg and get a Marlin 1894C in either .357mag or .44mag. I own the .357 mag and shot a 4 shot group on the bull with a 2 inch spread at 100 yards with iron sights. Hit a 10 inch gong at 200 yards with iron sights. Very accurate and I'm as happy as a pig in muck with the rifle.
    I shot .38 special in it but only 50 rounds. I wouldn't waste the money on those again or shoot them in my rifle again. To under powered and not very impressive at all.
    .357 mag hardly worthy of a pistol caliber ? Obviously doesn't now what they are talking about or not shot one before or both of the above.
    Last edited by Blindeyes; 12-23-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindeyes View Post
    .357 mag hardly worthy of a pistol caliber ? Obviously doesn't now what they are talking about or not shot one before or both of the above.
    Blindeyes is a good handle for you...didn't notice the smiley huh...
    My first handgun decades ago was a Ruger in .357mag. I've shot thousands of .357 and 38spl and know exactly what I'm talking about.
    It's an anemic round compared to the 44mag/spl.
    you bein impressed with it speaks volumes.
    Welcome to GOC
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    Someone aways gets their panties in a twist when people voice their opinion on a specific round. Remember Not everyone will enjoy shooting the caliber that you do. Dont get offened post some advantages that one has over the other. Id go for the 44

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast