Cooey hammer won't lock back

Cooey 410, with the action closed, pull the hammer back and it's like it hits a wall and won't lock in the cocked position.
    Open the action, and the hammer will cock properly.
    Barrel SN matches the receiver.

Any ideas?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Hmmm. Isn’t there a doohickey that keeps you from closing the action with the hammer cocked on those? I might have to go downstairs and refresh my memory on the 16 gauge....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Hmmm. Isn’t there a doohickey that keeps you from closing the action with the hammer cocked on those? I might have to go downstairs and refresh my memory on the 16 gauge....
    I can't even cock the hammer with the action shut, pretty weird

I can return it to the guy I bought it from but I figured I'd see if there's a fix first.
    Google didn't tell me much.

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...er-37a.526554/

^^ Seems it can be caused by how the lug under the barrel fits and interacts with the receiver? Maybe?

If its anything like my H&R 48 Topper. There nothing on the barrel or forearm. That should effect the cocking of the gun. Unless something is wrong with the latch.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...er-37a.526554/

^^ Seems it can be caused by how the lug under the barrel fits and interacts with the receiver? Maybe?
    That is all I've found too, and after having a good look at things, I think that will work.
    The V notch on the barrel lug mates with a V latch(which I assume is moved by the tang lever) on the receiver.
    I can feel the latch moving by hand when cocking the hammer without the barrel.(it will cock without the barrel)
    So the latch and barrel lug must be just slightly too tight. The latch won't move into position to allow the hammer to cock & lock.
    It's rough looking machining on the v latch, and I wonder if maybe the ejector was replaced at some point as well.

I was told it was really hard to cock before, add additional surface rust & grime, might of put it over the edge

Anyways, I'll grab a file maybe later today or monday and have a go at it.

I wish I was more helpful, but all I’ve ever had to do with Grandpa’s old 16 gauge was oil the exterior if it got wet and apply a few drops of oil to the moving bits a couple of times per decade. Pretty sturdy design. There’s a later 20 gauge with the plastic bit in the forend at the farm with a similar track record. That one has cleared more skunks out of the chicken coop and from under sheds than I can count....

It's hard to beat the single shots, my h&r 20ga(tamer model with a normal stock) is my favourite to carry around in grouse season

Success! Maybe 10min with the file, checking every min or so and it seems to be working now

10. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Dewey Cox (03-08-2019), kennymo (03-08-2019), road kill (03-09-2019), Rory McCanuck (03-08-2019), Stew (03-09-2019)