Mossberg 930 not feeding snap caps: stuck on lifter

So, I just recently picked up my first shotgun, a Mossberg 930 JM. Time to try my hand at 3-Gun. I also picked up some A-Zoom snap caps to test it with at home.

I found that the gun would not feed the snap caps at all. They would come out of the magazine, and onto the lifter. But then the lifter did not go up, and the bolt did not close. If I pushed a little bit on the bottom of the lifter, then the cycle would complete. Seemed like something was sticking.

I started tearing things down, so I could figure out how the damn thing works, and get to the root of it. After much poking and fiddling and running the mechanism in slow-motion, I realized what the problem is: the rim of the A-Zoom snap caps was just a little bit too narrow. It doesn't press on the rear shell stop enough to convince the gun that there's actually a shell there, so it locks open just as it would if the gun ran dry.

The A-Zoom snap caps were within SAAMI specs, but about 0.010" narrower than some real shells I measured. I tried cycling the real shells through, and they fed reliably (the gun was thoroughly stripped, no bolt, no barrel, so this was safe).

beware of azoom aliminum junk caps. paint comes off and the caps will quiclky shred away to uselessnes.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Who makes good/quality/useful snap cap dummy round like things?
    I just got some azoom shotgun and rifle rounds earlier this week, but haven't tried them yet. One's red, and the others' green.

cant remember what brand they are but i had these and they are the best ive found

7E15986B-597A-4C5C-AD2F-4A2268B6595C.jpeg
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

you certain it isn't the gun? I have an auto-5 that's older than me by a few years and it feeds those azoom dummies no problem

I use these for my 9 and 12 no issues. Can be had on Amazon.

https://www.stactionpro.com

I've found that the plastic rims on those clear shotgun ones above break without too much encouragement
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Go to Amazon.ca and search for Snappy's Snap Caps 12 Gauge High Brass

These are even weighted to feel like the real thing.