Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

STOEGER 12 GAUGE COACH GUN SXS

I HAVE JUST ACQUIRED A STOEGER 12 GAUGE COACH SHOTGUN.
    It has 20 " barrels and 2-3/4" and 3" chamber, with double triggers.
    I HAVE ONLY FIRED ABOUT 10 SHOTS OF 3/4 ONCE LOADS THRU IT.
    Very little recoil with the 3/4ounce loads.
    It seems to function very well.
    Comes with Imroved cylinder and modified choked barrels.
    Is this gun too short for duck hunting over decoys
    I was going to trade it for the Uplander but I decided to keep it.
    Does anybody who owns one could tell me if they are any good?
    I plan on using it for some bird hunting next fall, and maybe a few Rabbits.

Iíve been wondering the same thing about that shot gun. It looks awesome. I want one but hard to justify a $500 price tag. For me it would be just a fun gun. I have my 870 for turkey and waterfowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the chokes interchangeable or fixed? I’d pattern it at the distances you plan to shoot, make your judgement from there.
    Foxer (IIRC) had posted a bunch of experiments with different barrel lengths and chokes some time back. Turns out barrel length is relatively unimportant to your pattern, although a longer barrel will help your follow through.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Its definitely not too short, but as mentioned pattern it and see if that will work for you. Also try a round or two with whatever your duck load will be. I found them to have rather stiff recoil with heavy loads compared to pump shotguns. Great guns though, highly recommended.

Looks like they come with fixed IC/M chokes. If you already had one it could work depending on ranges, but it's not ideal. I really like side by sides but haven't hunted with one since Sheila Copps pushed steel shot on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Looks like they come with fixed IC/M chokes. If you already had one it could work depending on ranges, but it's not ideal. I really like side by sides but haven't hunted with one since Sheila Copps pushed steel shot on us.
    They do have a model with removable chokes, doesn't help the OP though. I believe they are a Mossberg type of choke, the short ones.

Yeah, but is it the "coach gun" model?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Yeah, but is it the "coach gun" model?
    There are several grades/models. Their coach gun ‘supreme’ does come with interchangeable chokes, all others are fixed. Cabelas carried them at one time. I see they’re still listed in the Stoeger Canada catalogue, but I haven’t seen one for a little while.
    Last edited by kennymo; 03-08-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Apple spell check, bane of my existence.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I had one and it worked then one barrel refused to fire anymore. Seems the rod connected to the spring and hammer bends just a tiny bit and causes it to miss fire . Sold it to a guy who does cowboy action stuff and he had it fixed.

"...fixed IC/M chokes..." Yep, but they come with changeable chokes too. The current 'standard' is fixed chokes on a 20" barrel. Means they're ideal for upland game like rabbits and grouse, not so great for ducks. Not useless for ducks though. Just means you need to be closer.
    Shooting one with 3" ammo will hurt. The thing weighs 6.5 pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast