Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Got my first Ontario paper fishing license last week. Minor PITA keeping it dry, but I just tossed it in the same ziploc freezer bag holding my wallet, phone, keys and cigars. I’m OK with it, but will miss not adding it to the drawer full of old tags, licenses and stamps I keep on hand for nostalgia and proving that the head on the wall is legit.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I am with you Kenny. Here is twenty years of our old booklet. Species tags were also in there. Fit in the wallet.

IMAG0853.jpg

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

We also had a book of regulations. We might still have. I copy the page of the region that I am going hunting in. If I move to hunt in another region. I have to copy more pages. Or I am out of luck. Might need to carry a filing cabinet around.

IMAG0855.jpg

IMAG0856.jpg

Coyote, Sept 1 to June 30. It should be all year. It is on the farm.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 09-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Quote Originally Posted by tdod101 View Post
    This is the 21st century. It can be done. The scanner would be no bigger than a cell phone I'm sure.

Use satellite?
    Who do you suppose will pay for that service? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Who do you suppose will pay for that service? No thanks.
    not a scanner. that would be a waste of money.

make it an app and just install it on any phone.
    run it off the existing licensing data.

the only cost would be to build the app. if you didn't want to pay for it, make it a University level project. maybe even tie it into some kind of funding.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

C’mon up to where I hunt moose in Northern Ontario where cell service is non existent and see how well your app works. Spoiler alert: it won’t.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

7. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

awndray (09-10-2019)

so you trying to say when you out of cell tower range they all just die.

you paid close to $1,000 for the darn thing and they don't work? Can't even connect to wireless? Not even capable of basic math? So can't scan a QR code to crunch some number to get a pass or fail?

basically you wouldn't create something to connect live. lots of hunting spots don't have cell service. you would just want to be able to scan in a QR code and be able to validate the data to get a pass or fail. that's the extent you need to say if a tag is valid or not.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    so you trying to say when you out of cell tower range they all just die.

you paid close to $1,000 for the darn thing and they don't work? Can't even connect to wireless? Not even capable of basic math? So can't scan a QR code to crunch some number to get a pass or fail?

basically you wouldn't create something to connect live. lots of hunting spots don't have cell service. you would just want to be able to scan in a QR code and be able to validate the data to get a pass or fail. that's the extent you need to say if a tag is valid or not.
    If you actually got out of Toronto and went hunting instead of perpetually claiming you want to hunt something, including your African Safari, and ventured into Northwestern Ontario you will experience total cellphone isolation in many locations. Dog River in WMU 13 is one. Jester Lake in WMU 15 is another. There are no towers in lots of locations. Precisely why I chose to hunt there when employed, they could not get ahold of me. You leave your cell phone at home, and give your coordinates to your family so if they don’t hear from you after a specified time send the search parties. It’s called “old school actual hunting”, not keyboard hunting. So yes, my $1000 phone is useless just like your app proposal.
    Last edited by GTW; 09-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    not a scanner. that would be a waste of money.

make it an app and just install it on any phone.
    run it off the existing licensing data.

the only cost would be to build the app. if you didn't want to pay for it, make it a University level project. maybe even tie it into some kind of funding.
    Great idea...if you hunt ar the Toronto Zoo. Where I hunt, cell phones are useless.

Here in Northern Ontario cell phone signals are intermittent at best. I am in the bush just about everyday and I don't own a cell phone cause they are are just plain unreliable here. I own a GMC truck with the OnStar option which is a satellite phone and it works every time I need use it, at least so far anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234