Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SECD Senate Meeting Monday March 18 2019

The next Senate Committee meeting is Monday March 18 2019.
    It's another marathon session, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

The link says it will be an 'audio webcast'.

https://www.sencanada.ca/en/Committe...ng/516817/42-1

A few more Briefs at
    https://www.sencanada.ca/en/committees/secd/Briefs/42-1

Witnesses

11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
    - Fédération québécoise des chasseurs et pêcheurs ; Marc Renaud, President (by video conference)
    - Alberta Provincial Rural Crime Watch Association ; Gerald Ingeveld, Director
    - Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities; Ray Orb, President (by video conference)

12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
    - Women's Shelters Canada; Lise Martin, Executive Director
    - As an individual; Brian Mishara, Professor, Department of Psychology, Université du Québec à Montréal
    - Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic; Amanda Dale, Executive Director

1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
    The Honourable Ralph Goodale, P.C., M.P., Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness

1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
    - Public Safety Canada; Randall Koops, Director General, Policing Policy
    - Royal Canadian Mounted Police; Kellie Paquette, Director General, Canadian Firearms Program; Robert Mackinnon, Director, Firearms Business Improvement Directorate
    - Department of Justice Canada; Alexandra Budgell, Team Leader and Senior Counsel

3:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
    - Calibre - Canada's Firearm Magazine; -Daniel Fritter, Publisher
    - As an individual; Edward Burlew, Barrister and Solicitor (by video conference)
    - The Sporting Clubs of Niagara; Gerry Gamble, President

I just hope that this drags on until elections are called...

Well that was fun.

Except the part about cars, that was stupid.
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Calibre

awndray (03-19-2019)

SECD Senate Meeting Monday March 18 2019

I know. I was screaming (in my head) about all the things wrong with the car/gun comparisons.

Thanks for being there Dan. And keeping your cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    https://lavscam.info

McPhedren is an absolute imbecile.........

She has not asked one question that pertains to this bill during any of her time, that I have seen.

Constantly asking about NRA association? She has been answered so many times that the NRA has no say or impact outside of the US, that you would think that she would get it by now. But no.........

And then to throw out adding a handgun ban amendment? What the actual F?!

I have no clue how she even was appointed to this committee, she is so out of touch.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    OFAH, CCFR - Looking for hunting friends and mentors in the SW Ontario area!

Quote Originally Posted by BgDM View Post
    York University...

Professional human rights advocate...(except for your rights)

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

BgDM (03-19-2019), Waterloomike (03-20-2019)

Yep. She leapt off the deep end on Twitter last night.

Gun control is a gender issue - mostly licensed firearms used in women's murders says Dr. Amanda Dale, Executive Director (Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic) on Bill C-71 at #SECD.
    -- Senator Marilou McPhedran, 18 Mar 2019, https://twitter.com/SenMarilou/statu...80373968912385

What Amanda Dale actually said was
    Yes gun control is a gender issue. Particularly because it is as my colleague [Lise Martin] said, it's mostly licenced firearms that are used when guns are used to murder women.

What Lise Martin actually said was
    We know that most of the women killed with guns in Canada were killed with legally owned rifles and shotguns.

And there's no data anywhere that says that.

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

BgDM (03-19-2019), CLW .45 (03-20-2019), Waterloomike (03-20-2019)

Constantly asking about NRA association? She has been answered so many times that the NRA has no say or impact outside of the US, that you would think that she would get it by now. But no.........

Quote Originally Posted by just having some fun
    she is the same senator that asked the 3 gun orgs at the last meeting .. how many members does it have .. and .. Where do you get your funding..

She came out as very negative to the gun orgs

she also asked about the nra

but she did not ask wendy .. where do you get your funding ... we all would like to find out her funding comes from..

when she asked wendy questions .. she had answers with out even thinking about it ... questions that let wendy talk more and expand .. there has been studies ..........
    A little further down the twitter replies (from my prior post) is

Heh marilou who funds you? Asking for a friend.
    -- TriqnTori, 18 Mar 2019, https://twitter.com/TriqnTori/status...02523392491520

12. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

BgDM (03-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    A little further down the twitter replies (from my prior post) is

Heh marilou who funds you? Asking for a friend.
    -- TriqnTori, 18 Mar 2019, https://twitter.com/TriqnTori/status...02523392491520
    Ya, I saw that. Never asks Cukier, or any of the antis where their funding comes from.........

The double standard is strong with this one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    OFAH, CCFR - Looking for hunting friends and mentors in the SW Ontario area!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre View Post
    Except the part about cars, that was stupid.
    Amanda Dale may have started it earlier in the day.

at 1hour: 28minutes: 14seconds
    Senator Mobina Jaffer (non-affiliated): The very latest statistics from Statistics Canada show that the total of female victims that reported a firearm related intimate partner incident to police has increased steadily from 2009 to 2017. And the rate of domestic homicide is eight times higher for indigenous women. Nearly 1 in 5 domestic homicide victims died as the result of a shooting, around 24%. Can you explain how this initiative in this bill will address issues of domestic violence and would you say gun control is really a gender issue?

Amanda Dale: Yes gun control is a gender issue. Particularly because it is as my colleague [Lise Martin] said, it's mostly licenced firearms that are used when guns are used to murder women. The numbers are going up, and access to firearms has been less restrictive since the repeal of the gun registry. This bill will assist in two ways. It will increase the background check period so that we don't have incidents of domestic violence that are undetected because there's been a lull or because a partner may have left. And we know that after leaving all of the data that we get from the domestic homicide review committees in the provinces that have them show that it's the period subsequent to leaving that is the most deadly for women. [I've heard that's true, although I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned in the Ontario domestic homicide reports] It is actually crucial in understanding the gender difference in the use of firearms. The other way that it will assist is that it allows for some record of the purchase of a firearm [Some irony here, since she previously mentioned how the Bill specifically doesn't include a registry] although this data is protected unless there's a criminal investigation [false] and a warrant is sought by the police [nope. A business may provide it voluntarily. A CFO may copy the records without warrant]. It is at least some tool for the police to be able to trace a firearm [except most of them aren't PALers, and those that are tracing isn't required because they're domestic and finding the suspect takes less than a day and doesn't involve firearms trace, nor would that trace be of any use since it was purchased legally so there are no Weapons Trafficking concerns which are the primary reason to do a trace]. At the moment we have lower standards for guns than we do for cars, in terms of being able to trace where a car might be after a vehicular homicide for instance. Everybody who has a car licence also has to have it registered, so that you can find the person who drove that car. We don't have any connection between a gun owner and the actual gun at this point in our history. Our standards right now are lower than the US. So this actually crawls a little bit closer to a standard that is still below the United States. Most states will have police able to subpoena those documents once they begin an investigation, they don't have to go through a warrant process [if the business won't hand them over, what actually happens is a Production Order which is a lesser warrant] before a judge to find out where the gun was bought [again, who cares. If they find out where it's bought, then it's legal. If they don't find out where the gun was bought, then these records were of no use. Individuals are in Bill C71 under obligation to keep sale records] In Canada with this legislation the police will at least be able to seek a warrant to find out where the gun was bought.

And if you've got a half day to kill for no purpose, here's just about every Guns Vs Cars diatribe I've heard:
    https://www.rangebob.com/Canada/vehicle.txt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast