Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: African Safari

Hunting with a rented rifle, a rifle you're not experienced with, seems a bad idea.
    Perhaps if its preceded by a couple hours at the range, followed by the hunt the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Hunting with a rented rifle, a rifle you're not experienced with, seems a bad idea.
    Perhaps if its preceded by a couple hours at the range, followed by the hunt the next day.
    Agreed!! Maybe I just got to experience the worst of the worst, but I am damned glad I took my own. Having a rented gun blow your face off in a 3rd world country and along way from help I think would truly suck.
    The offering I was suggested to rent was fired by dropping "the safety" , had a 3 power POS scope on it and no brake (416 Remington)
    In a land where tings can and do kill people to have a rifle you know and are comfortable with seems to be only common sense.

Hunting with a rented rifle beats spending a huge pile of time and money on a very expensive rifle you'll likely never use again. Not to mention the pile of paperwork to get there with the thing.
    "...a rented gun blow your face off..." That's just silly. A reputable outfitter will not hand you a defective rifle. Even places like SA have liability laws.
    "...a couple hours at the range..." Probably isn't enough. Guy going to Africa bought a .458 Win M70 African and a box of ammo(About $50 at the time. Hornady ammo currently runs $129.99Cdn. per 20 at Reliable Gun in Vancouver.) from the shop I worked in years ago. Picked the rifle up on a Friday evening. Saturday afternoon he's back with the rifle, 2 empties and 18 loaded rounds asking us to sell it.

The main reason I'd want to go to Africa is to have a justifiable reason to buy a 416 Rigby.
    And I wouldn't mind shooting a giraffe.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Hunting with a rented rifle beats spending a huge pile of time and money on a very expensive rifle you'll likely never use again. Not to mention the pile of paperwork to get there with the thing.
    "...a rented gun blow your face off..." That's just silly. A reputable outfitter will not hand you a defective rifle. Even places like SA have liability laws.
    "...a couple hours at the range..." Probably isn't enough. Guy going to Africa bought a .458 Win M70 African and a box of ammo(About $50 at the time. Hornady ammo currently runs $129.99Cdn. per 20 at Reliable Gun in Vancouver.) from the shop I worked in years ago. Picked the rifle up on a Friday evening. Saturday afternoon he's back with the rifle, 2 empties and 18 loaded rounds asking us to sell it.
    I take it you have never traveled with firearms, in 8 trips To Africa i never lost a firearm, it is very rare that you would loose one because of the airport protocols in place. As far as paperwork 15 minutes to fill out your Canadian export permit and you have it emailed you you in a week. Namibia the form is one page. In South Africa the form is 8 pages but you only fill out a portion of 4 pages. Easy to do, as far as rented rifles it’s hit and miss, the majority of outfitters are not firearms people so the rifles may leave something to be desired

"...to have a justifiable reason..." "I want one." is a reason.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Justice

50 B.M.G. (03-21-2019), Dmay (03-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...to have a justifiable reason..." "I want one." is a reason.

10-4!
    I never been near Africa, but I got a Merkle double in 470 NE. Because.
    (Although I got lost once in southern LA and I think I seen the turn-off to Africa)

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

Turtlehead (03-21-2019)

Did you book your safari yet?
    Post lots of pictures.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

I think I am going to pass on it.

If I go, I would want to try for a lion. That is just a bit too expensive.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    The main reason I'd want to go to Africa is to have a justifiable reason to buy a 416 Rigby.
    And I wouldn't mind shooting a giraffe.
    My former brother-in-law had one, it was a beautiful rifle, and a blast to shoot, but I dont think I would shoot it enough to justify the cost (sadly). If a justifiable reason is all you need, just tell yourself a bunch of strangers on the Internet wore you down with peer pressure and sound logic and it doesn't make sense to not buy one.

DO IT!! I personally guarantee that there is no downside to this. You're welcome (One day you can pressure me into buying a new gun I don't need... and I will thank you then)
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Turtlehead (04-14-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast