Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on some long range stuff

I've had a Remington 700 5r .308 for a few years now (stainless heavy barrel, not threaded) with a Leupold Mark 4 L/RT 8.5-25x50 (Second Focal Plane, standard mil-dot reticle), a Timney trigger, and an Atlas Bipod. (all these will end up on WTS in the next month or two)

It's been a good shooter out to 300 meters (haven't found any range near me that goes beyond 300m).

I recently purchased a Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 Creedmoore, and I'm getting a new scope for it.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol.../model-700-pcr

It's got a Magpul stock, but strangely, it has a "SquareDrop" handguard (compatible with KeyMod), not an M-Lok, which is odd because the rest of the furniture is MagPul.

I'm not looking to debate my rifle choice Rem vs. Savage vs. Tikka etc, already made my choice.

As for a scope, I'm looking at the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 currently. They are FFP (First Focal Plane), which is what I want, and a choice of MOA or mrad reticle, I'm leaning toward mrad. The Vortex is around $3,500. At that price, would I be better off with an equivalent NightForce of S&B?

Huh, I just read Jerry's (Mystic Precision) review of this scope from 2016. Starts out as a great review, but goes downhill near the end when he was testing the windage turrets and the image "tanked". Not sure if he got a bum scope from the factory, or is this still an issue?

The PCR has the X-Mark II trigger, but I'll likely upgrade that to a TriggerTech Diamond at some point. I'm confused a little that it doesn't come with a Bolt Release, does that mean I'll use the stock bolt release with it?

I'd also like to get a new Bipod, and have been looking at getting the Warne Skyline Precision Bipod at some point.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product...ecision-bipod/

Are they any other suggestions for a bipod in the $400 range?

As for mounting the scope, are standard rings better/worse than a cantilever mount? Does one have more advantages over the other?

And something else I'd like to get is a muzzle break.

I'd rather buy all this stuff locally (Canada).

I haven't found a Canadian source for the Warne bipod though, and the best price online in the USA I've found is OpticsPlanet. Anyone know of a Canadian source?

I've also been unable to find a muzzle break for Rem700 PCR 6.5 Creedmoor, any know of a Canadian supplier (site sponsor preferred) for these?

Also looking for a Canadian/sponsor source for the TriggerTech Diamond trigger.

I'm not a hunter (yet!), so my use for this rifle will be to get better at long range bench-rest shooting. I'm going to look into joining the ORA to get access to the Bordon (1000m) and Winona (500m) ranges.

Any suggestions, advice, comments are greatly appreciated!

Battle Beaver
    (Scott)
    http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver
    ** Member CSSA, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Battle Beaver (03-21-2019)

Might I ask why FFP and what the intended use and distances planned to shoot are? Both FFP and 2 FP have their places where they have distinct advantages depending on the intended application.
    A cantilever mount is a terrible idea, it is not needed and is just stacking tolerances which is detrimental to precision. A standard plus 20 or 30 MOA rail and decent rings are always your best bet.

I can't speak to jerry's experiences but several of our Pro shooters are running the Razor HD for PRS competition and they have never failed in any way.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 50 B.M.G.

6MT (03-22-2019), Battle Beaver (03-21-2019)

Might I recommend you check out Maple Ridge Armory - they make sweet barrels and have the brakes for them too, and yes in 6.5 as well.

https://www.mapleridgearmoury.com/pr...k-solid-brake/
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By VooDoo

Battle Beaver (03-21-2019), Hidyn (03-21-2019)

EM precision and does brakes and has trigger tech triggers. Insite arms has muzzle brakes. I like Cadex bipods and stocks, they are all Canadian.

Alberta tactical also has this all.

Nightforce over vortex all day long but I must admit vortex makes nice scopes.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Magmalis

Battle Beaver (03-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    Might I ask why FFP and what the intended use and distances planned to shoot are? Both FFP and 2 FP have their places where they have distinct advantages depending on the intended application.
    A cantilever mount is a terrible idea, it is not needed and is just stacking tolerances which is detrimental to precision. A standard plus 20 or 30 MOA rail and decent rings are always your best bet.

I can't speak to jerry's experiences but several of our Pro shooters are running the Razor HD for PRS competition and they have never failed in any way.
    Mostly 300-500 yds, 1000 yrds as well when/if I join the ORA.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I have no experience with the Vortex Razor line, but one of their Viper PST's cost me about 1/2 a barrel life in rounds before I finally figured out it was my brand new scope that was the problem. I went Nightforce and I'm never looking back. +1 for EM Precision for the trigger and muzzle brake.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 03-21-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I personally have had decent luck with Vortex however doubt I would spend that kind of money on one. Go Nightforce IMO.

MANY thinks to everyone!

Got a *FANTASTIC* deal on the Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56, so I went with that.

Had more confidence in my choice of scope after reading this article from 2017 "Long Range Scopes: What The Professionals Use":

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/...opes-pros-use/

Got a muzzle break from Maple Ridge Armoury (one of the retailers recommended above).

To keep any additional costs down (for now), I'm going to put-off getting a new bipod and stick with my Atlas for now. Also holding off on the TriggerTech (again, for now), and adjust the X-Mark Pro II down to about 1.5lbs and go do some shooting.

Will post a picture of the rifle once the scope/rings/brake arrives and I get everything mounted.

Once again, thanks for all the help/advice... that's why I love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    I just want to drop in and say the reason that I went with FFP for mine was so the measurements in the reticle were always 100% accurate. That way I would never wind up second guessing myself if I used the reticule to measure something that would factor into my adjustments.

Edit: Just looked at those Maple Ridge brakes, I'm going to have to give one of those a go! The JP Eliminator seems to be the absolute best for mitigating muzzle rise, but aesthetically pleasing she is not!
    Last edited by Hidyn; 03-21-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast