Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shield of the north Mass-effect's Avatar

Slingshot Arrows

I have seen a video or two on youtube where people easily convert their slingshots to accomodate arrows. (most often with adding a ring of sorts to guide the arrow). Other research has told me that the slingshot in mind shoots at about 300fps with the bands it comes with, but other bands offered 'guarantee' 800fps for BB projectiles. Some of these youtube videos claim that once equipped for arrows, big game could be taken with this method.

I know there are draw length laws for hunting controlled hunts with bow and arrow, that a slingshot likely wouldnt conform to. So our hunting laws aside, is there merrit to this? Is this setup capable of taking down large game? Any insight?

Jack of all trades makes several types of slingshot archery type things, I can't remember the names of them, I'd PM for more information.

They can be used for hunting, their a primitive season tool, but are shot range.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

Ok great thanks

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    A problem your're going to have: if you need 65lbs of draw weight to take a deer with a bow you'll still need 65lbs of draw on a slingshot. With most bows now offering 65% or better in draw reduction instead of holding 23lbs at full draw with a compound, you'll be holding the full 65lbs as you aim. Plus a bow string has a lot less aerodyamic drag than a latex cord, so the slingshot would have to be 5-10lbs heavier than a bow to get the same power behind the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    A problem your're going to have: if you need 65lbs of draw weight to take a deer with a bow you'll still need 65lbs of draw on a slingshot. With most bows now offering 65% or better in draw reduction instead of holding 23lbs at full draw with a compound, you'll be holding the full 65lbs as you aim. Plus a bow string has a lot less aerodyamic drag than a latex cord, so the slingshot would have to be 5-10lbs heavier than a bow to get the same power behind the arrow.
    this is mostly what i was considering when I didnt have faith in it being feasable.....thanks for the reiteration

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    if you need 65lbs of draw weight to take a deer with a bow
    Never understood that law. Lot of bows in the history of many rarely reached draw weights like that yet were used to killing man and beast pretty easily.

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Never understood that law. Lot of bows in the history of many rarely reached draw weights like that yet were used to killing man and beast pretty easily.
    I don't know about the law, I just pulled that from my hat as I don't hunt. I just used 65# as an example of the "extra" effort it will take to hold at full draw while you aim without the effect of a compound bow. I used to have a compound set at 60# and a recurve at 50# both for target. This was back in the days of 50% let off and lots of compound shooters who tried the recurve couldn't hold full draw long enough to aim.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...tml#bowhunting
    Not sure where the 65 lbs draw weight law is from but in Alberta its 40 Lbs

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

Yap - it's 40lb in Ontario too but accuracy will falter in most shots out of sling shots with arrows - Biggs
    When in Doubt, you know !!!!!!! Unload ... !

Don't spear-fishers just use a long slingshot to launch their "spears"? I don't know the draw weight of such a device, but if it can take fish it could probably take small game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast