Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New GOC member | PAL question

Hi all

I am a new GOC member and newbie when it comes to firearms but hopefully will become more experienced over time with the help of members on this page!

Right off the gate, I have a question. This weekend I am going to take my PAL course for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. I am currently 18, turning 19 this Agust. So the guy that I signed up with said something about how I can complete the course's but I would not be able to acquire the license till I turned 19 yr old. I looked online and read about the minor's license but nothing about needing to be 19 to get the PAL license. (Note; I reside in B.C)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

google search says 18
    if someone drives by and you're in your underwear, beating a porcupine to death and laughing hysterically, it might be bad for business.

Yeah, that's what I read. Not 100% sure what the guy was talking about. I guess I will have to see when I get there.

Its 18.
    Whoever told you otherwise is a moron.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

Josh12 (06-21-2019), kennymo (06-22-2019)

That's what I thought.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    To the best of my knowledge its 18. I think your instructor needs a refresher course.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Josh12 (06-21-2019)

I am not sure if he was the instructor, he was the guy up front selling the products and where I signed up for the course. But regardless, he needs to read up on the rules I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh12 View Post
    I am not sure if he was the instructor, he was the guy up front selling the products and where I signed up for the course. But regardless, he needs to read up on the rules I think.
    Find out if he’s with the NFA or the CCFR. I’m laying odds on which one, unless he’s just a Cabelas generic store staff...

My guess would be that the guy was confused in regard of the age of majority ... which is different in different provinces ....
    Firearms are federal, so, of course it's 18 ..

The age of majority is 18 in six provinces: Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
    The age of majority is 19 in four provinces and the three territories: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon

RobertMcC
    It's 18, because that's when I took my license.

For individuals aged 12 to 17

A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test.
    Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor's licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast