Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thoughts on the Canik TP9SF Elite?

I'm going to be buying my first handgun soon. I've heard a lot of positive feedback on it. Apparently it's a decent starter competition gun. I was originally going to buy a CZ Shadow 2 but I'm not prepared to make my wallet cry that much. What's everyone's opinion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Call-sign_ENIGMA View Post
    I'm going to be buying my first handgun soon. I've heard a lot of positive feedback on it. Apparently it's a decent starter competition gun. I was originally going to buy a CZ Shadow 2 but I'm not prepared to make my wallet cry that much. What's everyone's opinion on it?
    Very hard to compare them as the Canik is polymer frame, striker fired; and the Shadow 2 is a steel frame, hammer fired, double action pistol. It depends on what you want. If cheap is the only criterion at the moment and you are happy with single action only; the Norinco NP29 (9 mm 1911) is a solid choice; all steel, comfortable and a decent trigger. As a beginner, the heavier steel frame pistol soaks up a bit more recoil; the 1911 pattern guns have very comfortable ergonomics and are natural pointers; they have pretty good triggers right out of the box. I owned on for a short while (I have a Norinco NZ85 CZ 75 clone that I really love) but I do also own a Norinco 1911 in .45 I shoot a lot, and have had for a number of years. Both these pistols are keepers. Are there better pistols out there? Yes, but nothing that will give you so much value for so little money. If you watch the EE used ones do come up; or you could run a WTB add. A used Nork 1911 9mm can often be had for $300-350. Good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Call-sign_ENIGMA View Post
    If you're not ready to milk for a Shadow 2, look at a SP01. They can be found for around 750 is used with very low round count. I paid 650 for mine and I had aftermarket grips and a comp hammer. Basically a cheaper version of a Shadow 2 w/o the price. And if you insist on a striker fried. Get a Glock 17. I started with a Glock 17 in competition and it brought me home with some medals. I like stuff with support.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Very hard to compare them as the Canik is polymer frame, striker fired; and the Shadow 2 is a steel frame, hammer fired, double action pistol. It depends on what you want. If cheap is the only criterion at the moment and you are happy with single action only; the Norinco NP29 (9 mm 1911) is a solid choice; all steel, comfortable and a decent trigger. As a beginner, the heavier steel frame pistol soaks up a bit more recoil; the 1911 pattern guns have very comfortable ergonomics and are natural pointers; they have pretty good triggers right out of the box. I owned on for a short while (I have a Norinco NZ85 CZ 75 clone that I really love) but I do also own a Norinco 1911 in .45 I shoot a lot, and have had for a number of years. Both these pistols are keepers. Are there better pistols out there? Yes, but nothing that will give you so much value for so little money. If you watch the EE used ones do come up; or you could run a WTB add. A used Nork 1911 9mm can often be had for $300-350. Good value.
    No offense but he said competition, not plinking. Nobody shooting 45 ACP really anymore in competition and 100$ more than your copy. You can buy a used real deal CZ 85. Police trade in for 499. With parts support. Your 2 choice may be good for plinking, but they are not good for competition. You might think they are great deals. But that's like saying buy a civic for someone asking about NRA drag racing. A good value is finding a Springfield MC Operator ( 1000$ + gun ) for 450.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Stew (04-06-2019)

No experience with the ‘elite’, but the standard TP9SF seems to be an excellent gun. I have a couple friends who own them now, I’ve even contemplated picking one up myself.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Nobody shooting 45 ACP really anymore in competition
    No body who is sane anyways

I'd vote for just getting a glock as well, but if you want to be different for the sake of it, the canik seems fine.
    You're not going to be keeping your first cheap gun anyways if you start really liking competition.
    Get in and see if you like the sports, then you'll be able to pick up a better pistol and gear with knowledge of what works for you.
    Last edited by lone-wolf; 04-06-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I looked at the Canik and Girsan then picked up a CZ75 Sp-01 and bought it, I would definitely try for a previously enjoyed CZ75

Xtreme has them for 879.99 brand new and Cabela's will match price if you show them the ad (that's what I did)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post

I'd vote for just getting a glock as well, but if you want to be different for the sake of it, the canik seems fine.
    You're not going to be keeping your first cheap gun anyways if you start really liking competition.
    Get in and see if you like the sports, then you'll be able to pick up a better pistol and gear with knowledge of what works for you.

When I shot IPSC, was only 2 or 3 that used 45ACP. I shot 45ACP because back then it wasn't 25$ + a box.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post

I was suggesting the NP29; 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    If you're not ready to milk for a Shadow 2, look at a SP01. They can be found for around 750 is used with very low round count. I paid 650 for mine and I had aftermarket grips and a comp hammer. Basically a cheaper version of a Shadow 2 w/o the price. And if you insist on a striker fried. Get a Glock 17. I started with a Glock 17 in competition and it brought me home with some medals. I like stuff with support.

No offense but he said competition, not plinking. Nobody shooting 45 ACP really anymore in competition and 100$ more than your copy. You can buy a used real deal CZ 85. Police trade in for 499. With parts support. Your 2 choice may be good for plinking, but they are not good for competition. You might think they are great deals. But that's like saying buy a civic for someone asking about NRA drag racing. A good value is finding a Springfield MC Operator ( 1000$ + gun ) for 450.
    Those police trade ins are drying up fast, other than the Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Those police trade ins are drying up fast, other than the Berettas.
    But the point is still there. Pay 100$ more and get an actual CZ, not a clone of a clone. That has part support, quality control, has a good competition back ground.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Stew (04-07-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast