Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    More secrets of ammo cans:

When you load the ammo cans, the bullets won't sit flat and it becomes a pain in the butt to load. Evidently I'm not the only one to wonder about this problem.

The German solution was to load 2 x 50 round belts facing in one direction, and then another 4 x 50 round belts in the opposite direction to counter the geometry.

Meanwhile the Czechs, for the ammo can for their ZB 37 machine gun (also in 8x57 JS, but with a completely different belt), added an angled piece of sheet metal to the bottom of the ammo can, so that the belts will sit flat. For the record, the Czechs used 100 and 250 non-disintegrating belts.

The more you know!

And for all the video gamers out there... the German cans hold 300 rounds (304, with starter tabs to be exact)...

Patronenkasten.jpg

czechammocan.3.jpg
    Last edited by joe6167; 09-25-2021 at 06:32 AM.
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By joe6167

lone-wolf (09-25-2021), Stew (09-25-2021)

I'm finally getting around to experimenting with decontaminating all of the web gear I've picked up for these guns.

I asked around for advice locally, and some of the responses I got was (run through Google Translate):

In the army, we cleaned sackcloth and canvas gear without any philosophy. A mop bucket, hot water, soap and a hard shoe brush. Soak and rub until good, if it is very bad, rinse with cleaner water

Edit: I don't know what condition your order is in, if there is a risk that it could fall apart / tear / damage in the process and you care about it collectibly, I would let it go, but knowing this type of stuff shouldn't threaten them
    Water, sponge, mild soap. It is important that it dries slowly
    Given HOW filthy this stuff was, I took it up a notch.

For the two gurtrommel carriers, breech cover and ZB cleaning kit, first I scrubbed each piece in a bucket with hot water, dish soap and brush, then wrapped each piece in an old pillow case and threw them in the washing machine on the most delicate setting I could find, with the water at 30 degrees, and a lower spin rate, and Polish Tide. Then left them out to air dry.

I kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't come out of the pillow cases. I didn't catch the ZB cleaning kit pouch that came out of the pillow case, and so the suede trim did get chewed up by the drum of the washing machine. I'll pay for my sins...

The other pieces I'll just stick to the bucket/hot water/soap approach. The Pouch for the ZB Magazine loader has a block of wood in it...

I'm still looking into leather care, but some products from the local tack shop have been recommend. Haven't had a chance to follow up on it yet.

IMG_6656.jpg

You could say the breech cover was FILTHY...

IMG_8640.jpg

But it came out quite well. Nice and soft too...

IMG_8676.jpg

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

I thought the two Yugo Gurtommel Carriers were irredeemable, but they came out great!

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_8667.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

I've also experimented with a few different approaches to cleaning off cosmoline from the all MG belts and magazines I picked up.

I tried cleaning them with naphtha based cleaner as well as gun oil and a brush, but that took forever. I also had the idea of heating them up in the oven (at around 75 degrees C - at 100 they start to smoke a bit) to melt the cosmoline off. Also a waste of time.

The simplest way to clean them has been to boil them.

Using an old pot (that will NEVER again be used for the preparation of food for humans), I boiled the parts for maybe 10 or 15 minutes (I'd even add some dish soap to mix), and then scrub them in a bucket of hot water and dish soap with a brush. The belts seemed to need two cycles of this. Rinse them in hot clean water, and then put them in the over to dry (again at around 75 deg C.) for a while. Do a final inspection and catch any gunk I missed, and give them a coat of gun oil.

It's worked out pretty good. No problems with rusting or anything. And no fancy chemicals other than dish soap. LOTS of dish soap.

IMG_1717.jpg
    Last edited by joe6167; 09-29-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Other M53 owners over here are reporting that S&B 8x57 ammo doesn't work so good in machine guns...

Guess what brand of ammo I've stockpiled...

...good thing I've got several ruptured case extractors in my arsenal... guess I'm gonna get a lesson on how to use these things whenever I get around to firing these guns...

244344931_4905580786197673_1369825332203624887_n.jpg

244352888_6267427963299878_9004821856418995646_n.jpg

Machine guns have pretty aggressive extraction by design, and S&B ammo tends to be a little hot.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

joe6167 (10-03-2021)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789