Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Some secrets of the ammo cans and drums.

The handles on the ammo cans are designed so that you can hold two cans together in one hand.

IMG_3774.jpg

They're also designed to be carried by a sling around your shoulders.

IMG_3776.jpg

Here's how the starter tab is secured on the drum.

IMG_3772.jpg
    Last edited by joe6167; 09-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

FALover (02-14-2020)

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

RobertMcC
    You had it since April and still no range video?.. MAN this is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    You had it since April and still no range video?.. MAN this is weak.
    Since July...

Need some parts so that it doesn't blow up when I shoot it. Machine gun parts a little bit tricky to make fall from the sky.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

FALover (02-14-2020)

A procedural video I found on loading and clearing malfunctions the M249. I notice the feed mechanism and trigger group on the M249 are quite similar to the MG42.

This an ISAF soldier on Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan, who upon clearing his MG3 machine gun, didn't do so in textbook fashion. Now obviously there isn't any time to waste while under fire, but this is a prime example of why the 5 point safety check is often taught with open bolt weapon systems. Fortunately the soldier wasn't badly injured and only had his cheek ripped open instead of the back of the 7.62 round impacting his face head on, literally.
    Meanwhile, if anyone with a TNW MG34 or other closed bolt frankensteins is having trouble, here is a guy having a bad day with his closed bolt semi-auto MG42.

It looks to me like he is not following the correct loading procedure. He is placing the first round against the feed tray stop with the bolt in battery. Normally you can load the belt like this when the bolt is locked back, but since these guns don't seem to have a provision for locking the bolt back, he is trying to load the belt with the bolt in battery. Unfortunately, when he then pulls the cocking handle to chamber a round, the feed mechanism is trying to push the belt to the right, but since the first bullet is already against the stop it can't move, and thus the mechanism bends the $hit out of his cartridges. In this instance he should load his first round offset a bit to the left of the stop.

This would be a good situation to have some starter tabs, as with the bolt in battery he could just pull the starter tab through (two clicks) then rack the bolt and chamber a round.
    Last edited by joe6167; 12-19-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Is the MG42 effective or is it just a waste of ammunition?
    https://www.quora.com/Is-the-MG42-ef...-of-ammunition

A surprisingly detailed article on what it takes to operate with an MG42!

How about a nice gun post for some merry diversion from the absolutely dreadful world of politics we've all been sucked into?

I made an interesting observation regarding some of the changes made to the MG-42 design over the years. The MG-42 was vulnerable to out of battery detonations when the rollers bounce back inwards into the bolt head, unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension. In response, the "anti bounce device" was designed to try to combat against this, but, as you see in this video, it is not a guarantee.

Now, I had taken my gun for granted, and didn't realize that my bolt had this device, and though I had heard of it, I had never seen it, thinking what I had was just a normal part of the gun. But now that I realized what I had, my question became, how did the gun fire without it?

IMG_2282.jpg

Originally, the firing pin was actuated by the recoil spring pushing the entire bolt body forward against the firing pin holder, as the rollers lock into the barrel extension.

Without Anti Bounce Device.jpg

In this new arrangement, the bolt body does not move, and it is this anti bounce device that now pushes against the firing pin holder.

With Anti Bounce Device.jpg

Neat how they were able to engineer such a workaround!

I've also heard this part described as a "rate reducer" but I can't comment on what impact it has on rate of fire.
    Last edited by joe6167; 01-17-2020 at 05:02 PM.

The MG42 is a super cool MG. I had the opportunity to shoot one many years ago. To this day, and even after having served in the CF, that MG42 is the most impressive MG I have ever fired. It is like 30-06 fired at MAC10 cyclic rates.

The idea of a semi-auto, belt fed MG doesn't really do much for me. But they are still very cool guns.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

joe6167 (01-19-2020)

Some Yugoslav Accessories for the M53:

The top two slings are for the M53, the middle two are ammo can slings which may have also been used on Yugoslav produced ZB30s and the bottom three are the "backpack" straps for the Lafette Tripod. Then there is the asbestos barrel change mitt, the breech cover, two spare parts pouches, a Yugo K98 (or M48 etc.) cleaning kit, 2 soft-shelled Gurtrommel (ammo drum) pouches, and two gunner's kit pouches.

IMG_5906.jpg

Typical contents of the gunner's kit.

Oil and Solvent Cans, Booster Cone Scraper, Bore and Chamber Brushes and Jag, Flash Hider Wrench, Ruptured Case Extractor, Extractor Removal Tool, Oiler, Cleaning Rod, Bore Snake, and Spare Bolt Parts including Ejector Bar, Firing Pins, Ejector, Ejector Springs and an Ejector Retainer.

IMG_5980.jpg

Soft-shell pouches for the 50-round ammo drums (Gurtrommels). The Germans devised some rather complicated metal frame for holding two drums, which the Yugoslavs replaced with a simple pouch. Look carefully and you will even see the piece of STRING that is used to secure the drums... surely some German engineer is rolling in his grave...

IMG_5998.jpg

13. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

FALover (02-14-2020)

Don't know why I never added this to the thread.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast