Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Thats decent.

I converted my RCBS trimmer to run on a drill .... which didn't cost me anything.

I'm always hunting for another trimmer, cause I hate that step
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

The biggest issue w trimming is holding the case. Generally it takes to long to set a case into the the tool and remove it. The RCBS trimmer has a nice big paddle that holds and releases the case.

Frankford arsenal case trimmer works nice.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    The biggest issue w trimming is holding the case. Generally it takes to long to set a case into the the tool and remove it. The RCBS trimmer has a nice big paddle that holds and releases the case.
    yea, and I was thinking maybe I should just get one like that.

The frankford one on amazon is cheaper then in the states. Maybe it's a fake?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    I'm going to give the Lee deluxe trimmer with dies for 5 of my 7 calibers. I just got the trimmer and dies. I'm just waiting for another 4 hole turret plate to arrive. I'll set up 4 dies. I'm curious to see just how well they work.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    yea, and I was thinking maybe I should just get one like that.
    All I did was drill and tap the back of the cutter rod where the handle bolts on, for a 6mm hex bolt. Then chopped off a piece of suitable sized hex key. Put the hex key in the drill chuck and insert into the hex bolt. Easy peasy, motor driven case trimmer.

Starting to deal with all the .223 brass I have laying around. Bought 1000 bullets and started resizing and decapping them. Now I'm onto setting my seating die. 2 things:

1. I realized I don't have a .22 cal collet for my bullet puller. Frig. Ok, order that. It should be here Tuesday. I can at least keep setting things up.

2. The retaining ring on the RCBS dies is held by a little brass allen nut. It doesn't hold worth a damn. Well, I guess screw me and my efforts right? Frig again. Input problem into The Google which leads to The Youtubes and then down The Forums rabbit holes. Apparently sticking a single lead shot in between the die and the brass nut works. Ok. I'll try that this weekend.

2. Some of my bullets are falling into the case, even after . It appears as though the case mouth was expanded too much. Did I screw up setting my re-sizing die???

This isn't going smoothly. I can only assume my seat will collapse next time I sit at the bench...
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

The lead shot behind the setscrew trick is to protect the die's threads from a steel setscrew.
    As yours is brass, no shot needed, and I think it actually makes it harder to grab.
    Just make sure you have the proper allen key and tighten it blue-face tight.
    After the first couple times it will grab much better/easier, but still needs a good oomph.

For bullets falling in, something is mechanically wrong, not your die setting.
    Measure the inside of a sized case, and a bullet.
    Your mouth is likely too big, caused by one of two things; wrong size expander, or work hardened brass springing back too much.

If the expander it too big, I'm sure whichever company will make it right, eventually.
    Chucking it in a drill with some emory cloth and oil should take it down, just measure often.

If the brass is hard and springing back too much, you can anneal a few cases quickly and easily as an experiment.
    Two margarine/tupperware containers, one with water in it, and a propane torch.
    Put brass into dry tub, hold case by the casehead, point torch at the junction of the neck and shoulder.
    Heat it until the blue moves down the shoulder and onto the body a bit.
    Be careful not to get the casemouth glowing red, that softens it too much.
    Once the blue is down far enough, dump it into the water, not for any metallurgical reason, just to protect your fingers from picking up hot brass by mistake.

Try sizing the annealed cases and see if the mouth is any smaller.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

FlyingHigh (04-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    The lead shot behind the setscrew trick is to protect the die's threads from a steel setscrew.
    As yours is brass, no shot needed, and I think it actually makes it harder to grab.
    Just make sure you have the proper allen key and tighten it blue-face tight.
    After the first couple times it will grab much better/easier, but still needs a good oomph.

For bullets falling in, something is mechanically wrong, not your die setting.
    Measure the inside of a sized case, and a bullet.
    Your mouth is likely too big, caused by one of two things; wrong size expander, or work hardened brass springing back too much.

If the expander it too big, I'm sure whichever company will make it right, eventually.
    Chucking it in a drill with some emory cloth and oil should take it down, just measure often.

If the brass is hard and springing back too much, you can anneal a few cases quickly and easily as an experiment.
    Two margarine/tupperware containers, one with water in it, and a propane torch.
    Put brass into dry tub, hold case by the casehead, point torch at the junction of the neck and shoulder.
    Heat it until the blue moves down the shoulder and onto the body a bit.
    Be careful not to get the casemouth glowing red, that softens it too much.
    Once the blue is down far enough, dump it into the water, not for any metallurgical reason, just to protect your fingers from picking up hot brass by mistake.

Try sizing the annealed cases and see if the mouth is any smaller.
    When I tighten that brass set screw, I strip it before it bites enough to hold. I've verified I'm using the correct size allen key, but it still strips before getting tight enough.

I'll take some measurements of the bullets and case mouths. The bullet only falls in every 8 or 9 cases, so it's not consistent. All my reloading stuff is RCBS.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By FlyingHigh

Rory McCanuck (04-09-2020)