Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    i'm considering loading my own for the m305 but haven't got a clue what i'm doing or getting myself into. any advice is welcome
    Have a read : https://calibremag.ca/five-ways-to-i...o-m14-for-200/

Until I got my gas system nice n tight my M1A wouldn't come close to 2 inch groups at 100yds.
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

I just use 231/HP38 because Its easier on the group buy to get. Went splits on a 8lb jug.. So 4 lbs of powder and 4000 primers was 300$ to my door.

About 700... All on a Turret press in a few hours.

Got a stock pile now..

When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

lone-wolf (04-11-2019), Turtlehead (04-11-2019)

I need to do some more 45 up, next week
    Actually I might finish what I have left for bullets, 300 I think, then I have to start thinking about ordering a couple more boxes.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I need to do some more 45 up, next week
    Actually I might finish what I have left for bullets, 300 I think, then I have to start thinking about ordering a couple more boxes.
    Yeah I'm stocking up on stuff to reload 45. Bought 100rds and cost me 57.49.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Fussing with some lighter 47-70 loads that print within reason of full bore hunting loads..... That short, light carbine can get a little much for an afternoon on the bench, but still my favourite stand rifle at 36” long

Working my way through a couple k of 223. The brass prep on the range brass that I got is killing me. Trimmer is super slow and then swaging all of the pockets. It's a good thing that I mark my brass so I don't have to swage the pockets on the next go around. Going to have to do some load development after I change my stock though. Been just shooting what I have loaded even though I've already switched to a h2 scs from an h buffer.
    Remember High River!

After plinking at 800m last Saturday, I am down to my last 6 cases from a batch of Lapua brass for my Coyote (.308). Damn! You just can't make that cheap Lapua brass fire over 17 times. Well....most of the first 50 cases anyways.

So that lot of 50 cases is down to the last 6. All of the failures were separations above the rim. But to be perfectly honest, I F.L. sized them for the first dozen or so firings. It worked the cases around .080" every sizing. I now am FL sizing and bumping the shoulder around .002" with the next 50 lot. We'll see if I can get 20 or more cycles from them. It's working wonders with the other 4 calibers I load.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

lone-wolf (04-12-2019)

is a lee classic kit fine to use or is a press the way to go? after watching a video on you tube i'm wondering now, the guy said it's good for bolt action but in a semi auto the case can jam
    spelelluing

The hammer driven thingy?
    Yeah, probably not.
    Those dies only size the neck and don't touch the body of the case at all.
    You might get a second firing out of the brass before it's too big to cycle properly, but maybe not.
    I have two of them, but for straightwall cartridges and they work alright, but I wouldn't want to do a lot of loading on them.

For $50 you can pick up a used press that uses 'normal' dies and be a lot farther ahead.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

GTW (04-12-2019), Turtlehead (04-12-2019)

Lee Classic hand loader (whack-a-mole) kits neck size only, so they give good results for cartridges used in bolt actions. I've used them for my bolt action rifles and single shot 45-70 straight wall 1885 rifles. Semi auto's function properly with full length resized cases, and lever actions with tubular magazines may need crimped rounds. You can get a Lee press for very little dollars, but be warned, once you start down the reloading rabbit hole your presses and accessories will increase directly in opposite proportion to your funds.

There's an very good thread comparing 14 press styles on this forum you should check out. https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...Stage-Shootout

In addition, spend money on a reloading book by Lee, Hornady, Speer or Sierra. The money will be well spent.

Lots of reloading stuff on the on line auctions that FALover got me hooked on (damn you, FAL!!!) so you may be able to get a decent bargain on presses and dies if you don't have to pay for shipping.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast