Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

What are you reloading?(Random reload thread)

Did up 50 223rem cases tonight with 25gr CFE223 and loaded with 69gr SMK
    I didn't think I had that many smk left, but I'm just loading to throw downrange(but hopefully it's satisfying)

Going to switch to 55 or 62gr FMJ for bulk reloading, to keep costs down and keep things simpler.
    60gr Nosler BT for small batch varmint stuff, maybe switch my zero near the end of the season so that I can use them in my range rifle if the opportunity arises.
    I also have to decide what to do with a couple hundred of 69gr Priv bullets which were not promising in any rifle.

Not reloading related, but I have a problem of buying odd 223 factory loads for the hell of it. Why did I think I needed frangible 223 at some point?
    Tula ammo? Really?

Anyways, if you want to show off some recent reloads or something you feel doesn't need a new thread, feel free to post it here.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

last batch 700ish 9mm

currently working on 300ish 223 Remington.

Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By linung

lone-wolf (04-10-2019), Turtlehead (04-11-2019)

I've been picking away at some .223 lately. I had ran a bunch of batches through the tumbler to get them cleaned up a bit. But they were mostly American Eagle, thusly had crimped primer pockets, so I switched the head on my XL650 to just deprime them. (Still looking at getting a dedicated hand deprimer and a case swager. Dillon Super Swager or another one? Not sure yet.) I've been picking away at them to remove the primer pocket crimp with the pocket reamer but it's kinda slow/tedious with the hand tool.

I did run a bunch of .357 through the tumbler to get it cleaned up and maybe load that next week (if I get time).

Though I think first I'll give the XL a bit of a tune up, just grease some of the parts and put some oil where it needs to be for proper maintenance.

Lone-wolf, what do you think of the CFE powder? I been thinking of getting some and using it for .223 instead of IMR 4895.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    Lone-wolf, what do you think of the CFE powder? I been thinking of getting some and using it for .223 instead of IMR 4895.
    I'm on the fence about it so far, might get to put these rounds down range sunday, supposed to be +11
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Just started on 6.5 CM with H4350. Seeing if 123gr or 140gr projectiles work best.
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

i'm considering loading my own for the m305 but haven't got a clue what i'm doing or getting myself into. any advice is welcome
    Pet the sweaty things

Did a batch of 7mm mag with some 175gn eldx that rescued from the bargain cave, using h4831sc

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    i'm considering loading my own for the m305 but haven't got a clue what i'm doing or getting myself into. any advice is welcome
    Best first thing is to get a manual from one of the bullet makers and read the section on reloading or any "how to" reload books. Then read it again. There are several youtube videos on "how to" that you can watch. I don't know what a M305 is or it's caliber but the basics apply to all. If you can find someone close by that does reload they may be willing to mentor/help you get started. Lots of debate about buying this kit or that, most of them have the basic tools to get you started and you can expand from there. I got started using equipment that my Dad bought at a garage sale. I've added some pieces, changed others and thrown some out but still using the same basic set up as I started with over ten years ago.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grey_Wolf

Rory McCanuck (04-11-2019), Turtlehead (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    Give this thread a quick read.
    https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...ing-Ammunition

Reloading isn't nearly as daunting as we like to make out it is.
    I like Lee's description of the process:
    1. Resize and de-prime the spent case
    2. Prime the spent case
    3. Charge the case
    4. Seat and crimp (if desired) a new bullet.
    Ta-dah, done, now go empty them again.

Just getting started you have absolutely no need of measuring the distance to the lands, whether tangential ogive is better than secant, or if you really need to de-burr your flasholes. (that isn't anything dirty, I promise.)
    An M-305 is maybe the ideal rifle to learn to reload for, it isn't a precision rifle that you're going to be chasing tenths of an inch accuracy for, just load them up and make sure they all go bang and go roughly into the right place.

Don't get hung up on brands, they all make good stuff.
    Don't get hung up on buying new stuff, most of my stuff was used when I got it. Some of it is older than I am. Unless it has been abused, reloading equipment shouldn't really wear out.

But yes, step one is buying a reloading manual and reading the How-To section.
    Even if you decide not to reload, you'll have learned a lot about ammunition.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

DasMauser (04-14-2019), GTW (04-11-2019), Turtlehead (04-11-2019)

I use CFE 223. It meters well. It is commonly available. It is good for 223 Rem and 308 Win.

I use CFE Pistol. It meters well and it is less sticky then titegroup. It is also commonly available.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

14. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

Neil Burke (04-11-2019)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast