Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    Yeah that would have set me up for another year or so too. Looking but not desperate lol. I have some 4166 and 4451 that I've been trying to trade off but no bites yet. Just haven't found them to work for me. Was like a day too late way back in spring to place a bulk order. Between myself and a buddy was going to order Varget, Retumbo, H1000, 8208XBR and 4064. They didn't have two of them so thought I would wait to see if they would replenish stock in a few days .... that plan didn't work so well.
    Yeah, after hashing it out with the girl from Higginson's a couple of months or so ago, I decided to give the Dominion powders a try. So my Varget substitute for specific applications turned out to be D4064ssc. So I tried some and liked it. Then I found 30 pounds of it on the EE. So I snapped it up. And now even that is sold out until further notice.

Higginson's told me not to expect much in Hogdson or IMR powders in 2021. They have no firm dates from them for the year 2021. These include Varget, H1000, Retumbo, IMR4064, etc., etc.. Although, They did get 8 pounders of H-110 and IMR4198. Of which, I stocked up last week.

I have never had as much powder as I have now. Close to 100 pounds in 6 different varieties. The only one I am worried about is the magnum stuff (Retumbo). I have about 5 pounds of it left, so the magnum might just remain safe-bound until I can secure some more.
    Last edited by 6MT; 01-12-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Yeah, that was me that bought it yesterday. Local Edmonton deal too. The other I picked up on the weekend. Again, on the EE and in Edmonton (different guy though).

So now I have 20 pounds of Varget. That should be enough to last me the year for the two remaining rifles that I use it for.
    Dang it you. You've got me checking EE 4x a day now lol

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Yeah, after hashing it out with the girl from Higginson's a couple of months or so ago, I decided to give the Dominion powders a try. So my Varget substitute for specific applications turned out to be D4064ssc. So I tried some and liked it. Then I found 30 pounds of it on the EE. So I snapped it up. And now even that is sold out until further notice.

Higginson's told me not to expect much in Hogdson or IMR powders in 2021. They have no firm dates from them for the year 2021. These include Varget, H1000, Retumbo, IMR4064, etc., etc.. Although, They did get 8 pounders of H-110 and IMR4198. Of which, I stocked up last week.

I have never had as much powder as I have now. Close to 100 pounds in 6 different varieties. The only one I am worried about is the magnum stuff (Retumbo). I have about 5 pounds of it left, so the magnum might just remain safe-bound until I can secure some more.
    I've seen talk of that Dominion stuff on the forums. Is it the same burn rate as the IMR/H numbered powders, data interchangeable, is it temperature stable? Add to that - is IMR 4064 a suitable alternative to Varget? I see there is an 8208 Dominion as well - I use 8208XBR. Straight swap?

Same-ish stuff, straight-ish swap, you have to rework the loads.
    They say just use IMR Whatever data, minus 10%
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

stevebc (01-15-2021)

Hmmm ok.... price is right though. I guess not really any different than any other powder. Don't they all say to start 10% lower with a different lot? Might be worth a look.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829