Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Long term gun storage

Ive got a couple of family heirlooms that I pull out of the safe and recoil every few months. I have to admit, lately I've been slacking on that. Im looking for a long term storage solution. I was originally looking for a recipe for cosmoline, but I dont really want to go that route just in case I want to take one out to the range one day. I dont want it to take 3 hours and a complete disassembly to get them working again. Has anybody ever soaked a gun with oil and then put it in a vacuum sealed food bag ? Any other suggestions ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!

from- http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm bunch of other good recipes for gun owners at this link

Storage & Rust Preventative

For long term storage one of the best and simplest products to use is Lee Liquid Alox. This is actually the same material used by the Ziebart Co. to rustproof automobiles, and is a mixture of 45% calcium soap and 45% mineral spirits (petroleum distillates). According to Alox/Lubrizol Corp. (www.lubrizol.com), who sell the product under the stock #606-55 in 5 and 55 gallon drums this material was intended to be sprayed on to protect naval machinery on the decks of ships against salt spray.

It is supposedly available in smaller quantities from http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html or http://dragonbulletlube.com/products.php

Thanks to William Josephson for the availability info.

The only drawback is that it dries hard and is somewhat difficult to remove, but the material does come off readily with military rifle bore cleaner (Mil-C-372B) or CLP (Mil-L-63460), or with ordinary firearms cleaners such as Ed's Red. It must be removed from the bore prior to firing, as would any grease or wax, because it would constitute a bore obstruction. If you wanted to secure a gun in a container for several years, and have it ready for future use, clean and lubricate it normally and then apply an even coating of Liquid Alox to all metallic surfaces. Store in a sealed storage bag with about100g of silica gel.

A note about cosmoline. When subjected to high heat and then cooled this stuff turns into a varnish. I had a friend who neglected to thoroughly clean a new SKS and after firing about a hundred rounds and being put away the secondary gas piston glued itself in place making the rifle a single shot. It took heavy use of Ed's Red, over night soaking, and a judicious application of "impact force" to loosen things up to the point where the gunk could be washed out and proper operation restored.

If you need to be able to fire the weapon soon immediately after taking out of the container, do not put Alox in the bore as the normal lubricants will protect it.

As an aside, click here for information on ammunition storage.

Silicone Wiping Cloths
    Silicone wiping cloths are easy to make. Use a clean piece of old flannel shirt about 12 x 12 inches to 18 x 18 inches. Lay it on a plastic sheet and evenly spray both sides with a commercial silicone spray lubricant. Allow the carrier fluid to evaporate and then roll up, place in a plastic bag and allow to sit overnight so the silicone evenly disperses. A caveat--I have noticed that some brands of silicone spray seem to have more carrier than silicone and have a distinct kerosene odor. The Liquid Wrench brand is particularly vile in this respect. Try to avoid these. I have had excellent results with the ACE hardware brand "Pure Silicone Lubricant," part no. 12293.

Desiccants (Moisture Remover)
    You can make a very good home made desiccant for sealed storage containers by cutting pieces of plaster board to fit inside your storage container, and then drying the pieces in a 250 degree oven for about 2 hours. Remove and wrap lightly (don't seal) in aluminum foil, and place in your container before sealing. Works great in GI ammo boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    The magic number for expiry there seems to be 2 years. Let's say I'm looking at 20 years if unopened. One I havent shot in probably 10 years now. Might shoot it tomorrow.....maybe my kid will open it after I'm in the ground. The key thing is, I dont want to have to mess with it unless I want to.

I should mention that I'm not worried about discoloration and stuff. None of them are show pieces. I just dont want them to rust or have the wood dry out and split
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Ive got a couple of family heirlooms that I pull out of the safe and recoil every few months. I have to admit, lately I've been slacking on that. Im looking for a long term storage solution. I was originally looking for a recipe for cosmoline, but I dont really want to go that route just in case I want to take one out to the range one day. I dont want it to take 3 hours and a complete disassembly to get them working again. Has anybody ever soaked a gun with oil and then put it in a vacuum sealed food bag ? Any other suggestions ?
    Here you go, only thirty eight hundred bux!

http://www.keepsafe.ca/?page_id=158

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Likeaboss View Post
    Here you go, only thirty eight hundred bux!

http://www.keepsafe.ca/?page_id=158

Very cool......but I'm liking the cost of a quart of oil and a vacuum bag a whole lot more !!!! LOL !!!!
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Very cool......but I'm liking the cost of a quart of oil and a vacuum bag a whole lot more !!!! LOL !!!!
    For sure, that's museum quality micro climate control right there. Definitely overkill for your needs.

How much research do you feel like doing? https://www.corrosionvci.com/ <--Info, Store--> https://www.corrosioncontrol.ca/
    I looked into some of their stuff for a past job and valve storage. The powder in water worked pretty well to stop rust after hydro testing A105 and A105N valves. Might help with some of your packaging. If I remember correctly the only firehazard was low level dust explosion risk (like sugar) so you could probably shoot it without having to flush the stuff. Biodegrade able but municipalities won't like a lot of it entering the sewer system since it does deplete the oxygen levels more than they'd like. Protection would be on the order of years but probably not the 20 you're looking for. The vci packaging might help you though. Honestly, a bunch of emitters in a pelican case that you don't open much at all (no foam, just storage, so don't move it lol) and the powder would probably get you pretty long.
    Remember High River!

I just saw this, I like the vacuum bag idea.
    Remember High River!

Fluid film or rust check.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

awndray (04-27-2019), lone-wolf (04-27-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast