Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Victims' groups decry surge in sales, models of assault-style rifles

https://nationalpost.com/news/quebec..._autoplay=true

Victims' groups decry surge in sales, models of assault-style rifles

Rumours of possible ban of AR-15 spurs buyers.

With sales of AR-15 assault-style weapons surging following rumours of a possible ban and more non-restricted models entering the Canadian market, victims groups are calling for the federal government to tighten its gun legislation.

Gun sellers and lobbyists are reporting a sharp increase in the sale of AR-15 assault-style rifles after independent MP Tony Clement said in question period on May 9 the federal government is expected to institute a ban. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would make the announcement during the Women Deliver conference in early June in Vancouver to be attended by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Clement said. New Zealand instituted a ban on military-style semi-automatic weapons after a shooter killed 51 people at two mosques in March.

Although the Canadian government denied Clement’s allegations, (after an initial non-committal statement by Border Security Minister Bill Blair), gun-rights lobbyists and merchants have been stoking the rumours on their websites and promoting sales.

“Bill Blair: Greatest AR-15 Salesman in Canadian History,” reads the headline on a May 23 press release from gun lobby group Canadian Shooting Sports. “Today, a quality source with direct knowledge re-confirmed the Liberal government will attempt to ban the AR-15 rifle.” The release includes links to merchants selling AR-15s.

RELATED STORIES:
    Feds eyeing guns 'designed to hunt people' as they ponder possible curbs

On the website of the Montreal Shooting Club, located in Lachine, large ads proclaim a “MEGA AR-15 Sale!” with dozens of models available, ranging from $500 to $5,000.

A manager at the store and shooting range who refused to give his name, confirmed sales for the AR-15 were up considerably, with 75 per cent of stock sold since Clement’s announcement. The sales are legal, made to shooting enthusiasts, he said.

“We have umpteen members here, we have doctors, lawyers, engineers, we have the entire walk of life that walks in through our front door to practice target shooting. We’re legal gun owners, we’re the most vetted people in the country. …

“People who are vetted and who own guns legally don’t go out shooting people. They have to make the laws more difficult for criminals, not for legal gun owners, yet that’s what they’re doing.”

At the same time, Poly Remembers, a gun control organization created by the students and graduates of École Polytechnique, where 14 women were murdered in 1989, said that at least eight new models of military-style semi-automatic weapons similar in look to the AR-15, have been allowed to enter the Canadian market as “non-restricted firearms” by the Liberal government.

“The non-restricted category historically consisted of hunting rifles and shotguns, yet in recent years manufacturers have produced assault-style weapons that fall into this category,” the association wrote in a statement issued Friday.

“These are the types of weapons that the Liberal government promised to get off our streets, yet they are doing the opposite by not only approving new models under the restricted category, but also the non-restricted category,” said Heidi Rathjen, co-ordinator for Poly Remembers.

“You can tell by the statements of manufacturers and suppliers that these weapons are deliberately designed to circumvent the more restrictive provision in the law in order to have them treated as ordinary hunting rifles.”

The federal government is failing to update its lists of new models of guns that should be updated, largely due to pressure from gun lobbies, she said. The sales and production of guns used in mass shooting spiked in the United States in 2016 on fears the Democrats would win and ban or limit access to semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15, the Washington Post has reported.

Gun control groups were heartened by statements issued by the Canadian border security minister this week, that “have never been so bold and so clear with respect to describing what these weapons are and what they can do,” Rathjen said.

“Assault-style rifles are military weapons designed to hunt people, and not animals, in the most efficient manner possible that maximizes the body count at minimum effort,” the statement read.

“There is no option (regarding gun control) that will be discounted and all possibilities will be considered.”

However, while the C-71 Liberal gun control bill the government has been working on for a year cleared Senate this week does increase background checks on gun owners, it does not crack down on handguns or assault weapons.
    WARNING: story contains descriptions which may disturb some readers. If you need help, you can call the Canada Snowflake Prevention Service at 1-833-456-4566. The service is toll free from anywhere in Canada, operates in French and English, 24/7.

Wahhhhh wahhhhhhh boo hoo woah is me. F em!!!
    DON'T STEAL! - The government hates competition

3. The Following 9 Users Like This Post By tdod101

Billythreefeathers (06-04-2019), DasMauser (06-04-2019), elliott264 (06-05-2019), firemachine69 (06-04-2019), play.soccer (06-04-2019), Relic49 (06-04-2019), Scotlas (06-06-2019), stewbud (06-04-2019), TheMerlin (06-04-2019)

This has definitely been a boon for stores selling ARs!

Also it was nice to see them interview someone who didn't make a complete idiot of themselves. They even let the good parts of the argument through! That's pretty good for the NP.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Hidyn

Aniest (06-04-2019), Billythreefeathers (06-04-2019), firemachine69 (06-04-2019), Scotlas (06-06-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Poor Heidi....still promoting your hate and misleading willful ignorance, and nobody is listening. Boooo hooooo.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

7. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Billythreefeathers (06-04-2019), firemachine69 (06-04-2019), Rory McCanuck (06-04-2019), Sinbad (06-04-2019), TheMerlin (06-04-2019)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    sh1t if I had an extra 6 or 7 Id be into another one

And Im not a black rifle guy,,, just like them in my locker to keep the other guns safe
    CSSA

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Billythreefeathers

Stew (06-04-2019), TheMerlin (06-04-2019)

Victims' groups decry surge in sales
    Lol
    BooHoo.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

tdod101 (06-05-2019)

I’m happy with it. I never would have heard of the Sig Tread, which I love, and I never would have started building my own AR from scratch.

Picked up a DLASK upper today to add to my Aero lower, and the quest for parts begins.
    Don’t order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Every time I read those sob stories filled with crocodile tears, all I hear is KC and the Sunshine Band. That's the way uh huh uh huh i like it uh huh uh huh!
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

M1917 Enfield (06-04-2019), Rory McCanuck (06-04-2019)

"Victims' groups decry surge in sales, models of assault-style rifles"

Blissfully ignorant of the fact that THEY are a primary reason for it. If you keep imposing limitations on what free people can and cannot do, eventually they will do the opposite just to spit in your eye.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

16. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By TheHydrant

Hidyn (06-04-2019), M1917 Enfield (06-04-2019), Rory McCanuck (06-04-2019), Swingerguy (06-04-2019), tdod101 (06-05-2019)

So what are the 8 new models they hate now? Poly's shooter used a Mini 14 not a AR.

These pathetic losers want all guns banned and won't be happy until we're like England.

Then they'll go on a ban the knife crusade because that's what social justice losers do.

18. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Sinbad

elliott264 (06-05-2019), tdod101 (06-05-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast