Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Lifts

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar

Vehicle Lifts

I've been thinking of putting a lift in my garage and I might actually do it this year. Purpose will be for vehicle maintenance / restoration of light vehicles weighing up to about 5400 pounds. My ceiling height is about 10'.
    I was considering a fixed 2 post unit, but I've recently noticed portable ones. Anyone have advice based on experience?

Here's what I'm considering
    https://liftking.ca/portable-2-post/

I thought that this was kind of interesting. Sorry no experience or advice though.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ft/A-p8442444e

portables lack height, only good for wheels, brakes, suspension, fixed lift lets you get right under vehicle, for clutch, transmission, diffs, drive shaft, u-joints etc. If you notice on the PA porta lift, you can't get underneath very well

Quote Originally Posted by normmus View Post
    I've been thinking of putting a lift in my garage and I might actually do it this year. Purpose will be for vehicle maintenance / restoration of light vehicles weighing up to about 5400 pounds. My ceiling height is about 10'.
    I was considering a fixed 2 post unit, but I've recently noticed portable ones. Anyone have advice based on experience?

Here's what I'm considering
    https://liftking.ca/portable-2-post/
    A fixed two post lift with no overhead cross-member is the most useful (cross cables are in a floor plate). You will need to put in thick foundation pads for the lift and may need to alter the ceiling (and perhaps the roof-line) of the garage to be able to have 'stand-up' height under the raised vehicle. It's big job but your back, wrists and neck will thank you, and it will raise the value of your home.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Zinilin

lone-wolf (03-06-2020)

10’ is the problem for most usefulness.
    What about alongside the garage? Carport frame around should keep zoning calmish...

Any insurance implications?

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    Doesn't bother me if I can't stand up straight under a lifted car. It likely wouldn't happen with any lift

Banned
    How about one of these?

Last edited by Caralho; 03-06-2020 at 04:07 PM.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Caralho

normmus (03-06-2020)

Banned
    This one is probably a lot cheaper.

Go with a 2 post lift or a four post lift, not a scissor lift. No room to work with a scissor lift unless your a body man. Get all the extra safety accessories too.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

chrisc (03-07-2020), normmus (03-07-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast