Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Trap

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    It was a weekend of trap firsts for me.
    First time shooting away from my home club, first handicap targets, and my first shootoff (In which I shot my worst round of the day...)

Congrats on making the shoot off! As you now know the pressure goes way up the first time you shoot in one of those. It gets a lot easier the more shoot offs you’re in. The feeling you get when you win one is indescribable
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (07-31-2019)

Rancher and all the other discussion helped me too.

Thanks!
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

Another beautiful night to shoot last night, almost a carbon copy of last Tuesday just a few degrees cooler. I had the practice trap all to myself. I was working on my own version of the quiet eye/eye holds. I’d hard focus on the forward edge of the roof where the hardest angle from that post would exit. The experts talk about using soft focus and then locking onto the bird. My eyes don’t seem to be able to do that. By having them focused at the distance the bird emerges right where the bird emerges seems to work for me.

All that talk about handicap prompted me to shoot a round last night. Shot from the 27 yard line with some 1-1/8 1200fps loads I made last year. Shot an 18 which I’ll take for a first round of the year from the fence. Any errors in your swing really show up back there!
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (07-31-2019), Dewey Cox (07-31-2019), JustBen (07-31-2019)

Just finished the last league shoot for the year. It was the best of the year for me. 23 and 25 in singles with a 19 from the 24 line and a 39 in doubles. Ended up in a shoot off for high singles and two of us made it through the first round with 24. I ended up dropping one extra bird and ended up with a 23 in the second round. This was my first shoot off ever. I had already finish the regular shooting over 4 hours earlier.

This was the end of my first year of trap and I had a great time. I still need more work on my handicap specifically and doubles could use quite a few more rounds.

I'm debating which direction to go. Do I try and find an adjustable stock for the 1100, do I get a cheek riser for the 1100 or do I look for a proper trap gun. So many decisions. At this point, the weight of the 1100 does not bother me. I'm just not ready to drop big money at this point. I might be in a different situation in the spring.

This sport is fun and addictive.

I would like to thank you again R&R Rancher to help me improve throughout the year.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By cowboy01

road kill (08-26-2019)

Before you try a riser, try a chunk of moleskin to raise the cheek weld. It's not much but it will make a difference.

Thank you JustBen for the great idea. I will get some and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy01 View Post
    Just finished the last league shoot for the year. It was the best of the year for me. 23 and 25 in singles with a 19 from the 24 line and a 39 in doubles. Ended up in a shoot off for high singles and two of us made it through the first round with 24. I ended up dropping one extra bird and ended up with a 23 in the second round. This was my first shoot off ever. I had already finish the regular shooting over 4 hours earlier.

This was the end of my first year of trap and I had a great time. I still need more work on my handicap specifically and doubles could use quite a few more rounds.

I'm debating which direction to go. Do I try and find an adjustable stock for the 1100, do I get a cheek riser for the 1100 or do I look for a proper trap gun. So many decisions. At this point, the weight of the 1100 does not bother me. I'm just not ready to drop big money at this point. I might be in a different situation in the spring.

This sport is fun and addictive.

I would like to thank you again R&R Rancher to help me improve throughout the year.
    Glad I was able to help. You’re shooting great scores for someone in their first year

JustBen has a great idea to let you experiment with different comb heights. I have done that myself and found it took many layers to get the height I wanted. Be careful not to let the foam wrap around the side as it will change your point of impact, just like moving the rear sight on a rifle. Here’s a link to the late Neil Winston’s suggested method for POI testing.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI...t_13_Yards.pdf

If you’re interested in upgrading your 1100 I came across a fellow last spring who was trying with no success to sell an 1100 with a cracked receiver. It was cheap enough you couldn’t buy the Monte Carlo stock and barrel on CGN’s EE for that money. I’ll see if he still has it.

If you go the adjustable comb route, Vic Tomlinson is great. I have his contact info if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by R&R Rancher View Post
    Glad I was able to help. You’re shooting great scores for someone in their first year

JustBen has a great idea to let you experiment with different comb heights. I have done that myself and found it took many layers to get the height I wanted. Be careful not to let the foam wrap around the side as it will change your point of impact, just like moving the rear sight on a rifle. Here’s a link to the late Neil Winston’s suggested method for POI testing.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI...t_13_Yards.pdf

If you’re interested in upgrading your 1100 I came across a fellow last spring who was trying with no success to sell an 1100 with a cracked receiver. It was cheap enough you couldn’t buy the Monte Carlo stock and barrel on CGN’s EE for that money. I’ll see if he still has it.

If you go the adjustable comb route, Vic Tomlinson is great. I have his contact info if you need it.
    Thanks R&R. I would be interested in the 1100 with the cracked receiver. That will allow me to possibly screw up one stock and I will still have the original. I was looking at the fully adjustable stock from Jack West-Designed Adjustable Stocks at Bill Davis Enterprises (stock #3), but they were fairly expensive at $350.95 US.

I just am not sure what to try. With a spare stock, I will be able to experiment.

I will be printing and reviewing the POI instructions.

Thanks again.

Beautiful day for trap.
    Not a cloud in the sky, and I shot well.
    I got quite a few rounds in.
    We have our national trap day tournament scheduled for sunday, and the forecast is calling for snow.
    I hope it doesn't.
    I'm not ready for the season to be over.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

R&R Rancher (09-22-2019)

We had a few good days here too

I ran 24-25-25-23(mayyybe 24 by a chip) Thursday with the old 870 and almost as good today with a less old Auto-5

Those guns make me look decent.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast