Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elder killed in Salmon Arm church shooting: family

https://globalnews.ca/news/5166517/e...ooting-family/

Elder killed in Salmon Arm church shooting: family

A Salmon Arm man says his father, Gordon Parmenter, was shot and killed Sunday morning by a man armed with an “assault-style rifle” at the Salmon Arm Church of Christ in the B.C. interior.

Parmenter was a 78-year-old elder at the church and was targeted in the shooting, according to his son Dave Parmenter.

“A young man just came in in the middle of the service with an assault-style rifle and targeted one man in the church, and it was my father, and shot him,” Dave Parmenter said.

He said the shooter left the scene and returned moments later before church members tackled him to the ground and held him until police arrived.

“[He] came back a second time and was very focused on him again and shot him another couple of times and in that exchange, he shot another man in the leg who happened to be in the way,” he said.

“Myself and a few others wrestled the man to the ground and took the weapon away from him.”

Parmenter said the alleged shooter and victim were known to each other but a motive is unclear. He said the alleged shooter is “very well-known to our family and was struggling with mental health issues.”

Parmenter said his father was a man of faith, a cabinet-maker by trade, and fostered youth.

“Many years of fostering, many years of service in his church, many years of pouring his heart out to others,” he said.

“I just know that everybody is sad. It’s such a sad thing to happen. There’s lots of victims now and the young man is also a victim.”

Parmenter confirmed his father’s home also burned down in an arson last month.

A second person who was injured in the shooting was airlifted to hospital. His condition is unknown.

The suspect in the shooting was apprehended by police and remains in custody.

Cpl. Chris Manseau says the area is contained and there is no indication of an active or ongoing threat as officers investigate a “serious incident.”

BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS) confirmed two patients were involved in the incident at the church.

BCEHS spokesperson Amy Robertson says two ground ambulances and one air ambulance responded to the call that came in at 10:37 a.m.

A video posted to Twitter on Sunday morning showed an air ambulance landing in nearby Blackburn Park.

Witnesses at the scene said people were crying and visibly upset.

“We are at the very early stages of the investigation and will provide an update later today,” said Cpl. Manseau.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    https://lavscam.info

Again nobody did anything even though they knew of his mental struggles. Quit treating mental illness like it's something to be kept hidden FFS. Get rid of the stigma and make it easier to do the best thing for the affected person.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Got to think the arson is related. Pointing to more fail.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Forbes/Hutton (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Again nobody did anything even though they knew of his mental struggles. Quit treating mental illness like it's something to be kept hidden FFS. Get rid of the stigma and make it easier to do the best thing for the affected person.
    So where’s the line between individual rights and government intervention? What level of functioning, mentally “different”, is the level thats acceptable to society?
    That’s getting into the “pre crime” action thing. And more invasive monitoring and neighbors reporting neighbors. How much more of your tax dollars do you want to throw at it? It’s not going to get money from other areas, just take from you in an effort to protect the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Got to think the arson is related. Pointing to more fail.
    Arson isn’t a high priority investigation and can be hard to link. Other than “I think Joey mighta done it, he’s a little off”, what else do you want to get him picked up and dropped in government mandated/controlled evaluation facilities?

There’s a balance between personal and the collective. How knee jerk and nanny state should we be?

6. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

canthitathing (04-15-2019)

While the family has my sympathies for their loss, I did find the son's use of "assault style rifle" a little odd.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckbuster

Swampdonkey (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    I did find the son's use of "assault style rifle" a little odd.
    Especially in today's digital age and the fact that the shooter was "captured" by bystanders, and/or the fact that there are no pictures of the alleged murder weapon or police statement to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by srdiver View Post
    Especially in today's digital age and the fact that the shooter was "captured" by bystanders, and/or the fact that there are no pictures of the alleged murder weapon or police statement to that effect.
    I don't want to be accused of wearing a tinfoil hat, but, it almost sounds like those words were put into his mouth or that he was coached to say that.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By chuckbuster

Rory McCanuck (04-15-2019), Swampdonkey (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    I did find the son's use of "assault style rifle" a little odd.
    nice to see i'm not the only one who picked up on that. i had to wonder if that was "para-phrased" or it's an actual quote
    Just 'cause you don't like me don't mean I ain't no good

So far I've only seen that phrase used (in reference to this incident) in Global's coverage.
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    https://lavscam.info

Funny that they called it an assault style rifle when I’ve heard it was a black shotgun with a flashlight taped to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast