Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yet another pal/rpal question

lol. yup. i'm only asking now. two questions.
    1. if i take my rpal does it take the place of my pal and extend the expiry date whilst still allowing me to purchase non-restricted firearms?
    and
    2. is it possible to take the rpal without first taking the pal course?

i guess the purchasing non-restricted firearms part could go after the second question as well. i'm on the verge of convincing my wife to go for hers, i think this might seal the deal
    if someone drives by and you're in your underwear, beating a porcupine to death and laughing hysterically, it might be bad for business.

Here in BC you have to take pal before rpal, don't know if same in other provinces.
    Rpal replaces pal, both my wife and my own did not extend expiration date, but they had been issued within year of pal, so may be different if you are getting close to pal expiring.
    Rpal allows purchase and transport of restricted and non restricted, but sadly not prohibited.

Yes when you get the RPAL it replaces your basic PAL, and yes you'll get a new five-year clock (you pay more do do them both separately than together).

Yes the RPAL allows you both ownership of restricted and non-restricted. Think of the restricted like an "and". The regular PAL just gets you non-restricted, but the RPAL gets you non-restricted and Restricted.

You can take both at the same time, but you can not just take the Restricted without first taking the Non-Restricted.

There is different subject matter taught in both, with the non-restricted including content like parts of a gun, the classification system, etc.

If you just took the Restricted course, you'd miss that content, because the Restricted focuses more on handguns and the extra laws of Restricted ownership.
    I have no signature block.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Turtlehead (04-15-2019)

The PAL is the firearms licence, the card. (some used to be POSSESSION ONLY, but not any more)

On the back is what you can do with it.
    Everytime something new is added to the back, the CFO/CFP sends you a new PAL.

A PAL looks like this

An RPAL looks like this

A while back, a few POSSESSION ONLY licences were converted to PALs incorrectly and didn't get non-restricted under ACQUISITION.
    One fella had that around the same time as he took the CRFSC, and it looked like this.
    Note the weird situation where they're allowed to possess non-restricted and purchase restricted, but not purchase non-restricted.
    Stores may not sell to you unless the firearm classification is one you are allowed to ACQUISITION, so they wouldn't sell non-restricted to this guy.
    The CFOs quickly replaced his PAL with the RPAL above, and he was able to purchase his non-restricted.

I don't know what a Prohibited PAL looks like, but I assume it's like this, listing the 12.x sections a person may POSSESSION and ACQUISITION.

12.2: FA Full Automatic
    12.3: CA Converted Automatic
    12.4: OIC # 12 (OIC = Order in Council) A small class, examples are: Sterling MK6, Steyr AUG, Uzi carbine, Mod A and mini Uzi
    12.5: OIC #13 A large class, examples are: FN FAL, H&K, AK47, Thompsons etc.
    12.6: Handgun All .25, .32 (some exceptions) and handguns with a barrel length of 105mm and less. Registered before 14 Feb 1995
    12.7: PROHIBITED 12.6 handguns inheritable by immediate next of kin as they were manufactured before 1946.

You can't have an RPAL without first having a PAL. The RPAL doesn't replace the PAL. It adds to it. The whole thing is Federal. The Provinces just administer the FA.
    "...don't know what a Prohibited PAL looks like..." Same as any PAL but with Prohibited stuff allowed.
    "...immediate next of kin..." Means your immediate family but not including aunts or uncles.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    lol. yup. i'm only asking now. two questions.
    1. if i take my rpal does it take the place of my pal and extend the expiry date whilst still allowing me to purchase non-restricted firearms?
    and
    2. is it possible to take the rpal without first taking the pal course?

i guess the purchasing non-restricted firearms part could go after the second question as well. i'm on the verge of convincing my wife to go for hers, i think this might seal the deal
    Let your wife know that it makes things less messy with regards to legal access to safes that have firearms in them if she has her pal/rpal also. If she has a pal and there are restricted firearms in the safe, she should not have access to them.
    This is just one internet strangers interpretation (I’m not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet)
    Plus it’s one more pal/rpal holder to stick it to the lefties.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Turtlehead (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...don't know what a Prohibited PAL looks like..." Same as any PAL but with Prohibited stuff allowed.
    I mean I don't know what the wording is for Prohibited stuff on the back of the PAL.
    I saw one once, but I don't remember. I used "Prohibited 12.x" but I don't know if that's the wording that the CFOs use.

Saw a co worker's and simply said 12.5

Had to look up the details.

what kind of strings did anybody with a 12.2 pull to get it?
    good info also. range/club membership looks like it might be a little bit of a PItA but i could be wrong
    if someone drives by and you're in your underwear, beating a porcupine to death and laughing hysterically, it might be bad for business.

All you needed for 12.2 was to own something fun in 1977.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast