Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Security preps

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Security preps

One of our members here (wont name him) had his work trailer broken into for a second time, and they punched the door lock out of his truck. They managed to get into the trailer, but couldn't find anything they thought they could pawn. They never managed to get into his truck, but did manage to do $340 worth of damage to the door handle/lock assembly, and that's just parts.

Anyway....he was talking to someone else who found some wireless, battery operated motion sensors that you can put inside vehicles and trailers at night. No alarm from them, but it sets off an alert on the base station in the house. I did a little research, and wound up ordering him a setup off Amazon. THE VERY FIRST NIGHT after I gave it to him, the crack heads came back. From the time the alert went off in the house until he was outside ready to kill was about 1 minute. The scumbags must have been able to hear the beep inside and booked it out of there before he could even get a look at them. I'll be buying a set for myself, on top of the camera setup I'm installing.

Anyway...I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread on security...not TEOTWAWKI type stuff, but just sharing ideas on how to secure one's home and property against thieves.

My second camera arrived today, but I didn't have time to install it where I want it before dark. The main target around my place is vehicles. I want one watching the entire driveway. The other one is watching the front door/walk, and can see nearly the entirety of one vehicle.

The software Im using is called Blue Iris. It's a little on the pricy side, but as I learn it, and how to configure things, I think it's more than worth it. I can take the picture from the camera, and highlight individual places that I want to watch to minimize false alarms. For example, I don't want to pick up cars driving by on the street, so I just tell the software to blank out that area if it detects any motion. You can set sensitivity to motion, how much contrast change will set off a trigger, how much distance the object/person has to travel in pixels before it sets off a trigger. It really is a good piece of software in my opinion. My system is put together from a mish mash of cameras, cables, switch, etc, so I won't get into it until I've done the final install and test.

If anyone is interested in the remote wireless battery operated motion sensor setup, here's a link. You can set it to be silent, a beep beep beep..not too loud....or a VERY loud alarm. I think the battery life (2 x AAA) on the sensors is rated at over 4000 hours, and the base has an adapter that plugs into a standard wall outlet. If you want to surprise your thief and molest them as you please, set it to the quieter beep. If you just want them to bugger off because they know they've been detected, just set the base inside your garage door on the loud alarm setting.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So...what security preps have you guys made around your places ? Anything out of the ordinary ? Remember....we're not allowed to discuss illegal stuff, and yes, setting deadly booby traps is illegal...as much as I wish it wasn't.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

FALover (04-16-2019), Hidyn (04-17-2019), Waterloomike (04-16-2019)

I only have some remote cameras set up and a sticker that says so. I would like an alarm of some description that I don’t have to pay a monthly monitoring fee on.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Look for episodes of that old show “to catch a thief” or “it takes a thief”. The drive by points out that you just need to look like a harder target than others around, mostly. And they can get a lot in under 4 minutes. So response time isn’t too much of a worry for them.

In more developed areas, focus on the drive by evaluation.

All shrubbery kept below window height, ladders and other stuff obviously locked up. Fences not near the roof eaves. Bird spikes and thorny bushes where possible.

Motion lights are good, but given LED bulbs running costs, leaving them on all the time is cheap. Better for the cameras as well. Motion lights wash out, defocus and have the perp moving/looking where you can’t get an ID.

If using a couple dummy cameras for deterrent or to distract from real ones, add a length of dummy coax or thin extension cords. Thieves are still looking for power and data. And don’t turn lights on in them. Real ones don’t glow.

More rural, it’s harder. Gates, deep ditches and fences. Maybe some old crap lying around so you don’t look like an organized spot. They’ve got plenty of time to deal with your place. Organized means roll in a trailer and they’ve got 20 minutes to load up from house and shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    I only have some remote cameras set up and a sticker that says so. I would like an alarm of some description that I don’t have to pay a monthly monitoring fee on.
    RING doorbells and such seem to be a very good visual deterrent that’s easy to put in.

Most things can send email or text alarms to you and then you can notify responders. They get there quicker if there’s some find of a positive confirmation. And a lot of stuff will integrate with Blue Iris and other stuff.

Maybe put a camera or two just inside the doors?

6. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

Swingerguy (04-16-2019)

I park my car in my garage. (workshop's in the basement).

My neighbour parks his in the driveway, and has house soffett mounted cameras looking at his car.

A friend of mine in Hamilton, the burglars smashed his van window, pressed the 'garage-open' button, went into the house and stole a bunch of things at 3am without waking anyone up, including the keys to the van, loaded their ill-gotten-booty all into to the van, and drove around the neighbourhood using the van to carry stuff that others in their 'burglary gang' had nabbed from other houses. The van was eventually recovered, with slashed tires etc, but the GPS was intact and and tracking showed where they had gone. Cameras in the neighbourhood clearly show the faces of the burglars, as they looked right into the cameras to discuss the cameras. No arrests on this incident from last year. This gang returns to this fully detached home neighbourhood about every 4 months for the past couple of years.

If by chance your friend catches the guy, cop told my big logger neighbor to drag the guy off his property before calling police, say he tripped when you were chasing him, if hurt on your property he could sue.

The wireless motion alarm would be dandy for a shed too if it'll work that far
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

10. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

SIR VEYOR (04-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    I park my car in my garage. (workshop's in the basement).

My neighbour parks his in the driveway, and has house soffett mounted cameras looking at his car.

A friend of mine in Hamilton, the burglars smashed his van window, pressed the 'garage-open' button, went into the house and stole a bunch of things at 3am without waking anyone up, including the keys to the van, loaded their ill-gotten-booty all into to the van, and drove around the neighbourhood using the van to carry stuff that others in their 'burglary gang' had nabbed from other houses. The van was eventually recovered, with slashed tires etc, but the GPS was intact and and tracking showed where they had gone. Cameras in the neighbourhood clearly show the faces of the burglars, as they looked right into the cameras to discuss the cameras. No arrests on this incident from last year. This gang returns to this fully detached home neighbourhood about every 4 months for the past couple of years.
    Because in 4 months time, everybody has gotten new stuff, same security protocols as last time (mostly). So the neighbors are an ATM for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    If by chance your friend catches the guy, cop told my big logger neighbor to drag the guy off his property before calling police, say he tripped when you were chasing him, if hurt on your property he could sue.

I was told by an officer that you can only beat on him until he reaches your property line, legally. After that, it switches from “defence” to assault. And in AB, there is no daytime trespassing offence, only at night...

Our dog barks when strange vehicles so much as slow down in front of our place.
    If he gets too lazy, I'll put in one of those driveway alarms.
    Its nice to know when someone is pulling in, even if it's not a bad guy. The neighbours appreciate when I answer the door wearing pants.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

lone-wolf (04-16-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast