Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
    I want to feel a legion 226, but I think I’m pretty set on the shadow 2. It fits my hands like a glove, is very easy to shoot, very balanced, and I believe is more accurate then I’ll ever be. My first time shooting handguns in 10+ years, I got a couple of nice 4” groups at 10 meters, (don’t ask where the other 150 rounds went).
    I liked the snap of the 226 a little more, felt that I had to work harder for a good shot. Having said that, the shadow 2 will serve me better in the long run. I’m just starting out with handguns, so I believe I have a long way to go before I’ll be shooting IPSC matches.
    I’m pretty set on 9mm, it will allow me to afford to shoot 1000 rounds a month if I can carve out the time from the family.
    Holsters, belts and accessories are ways off I believe. I think I’ll just buy a couple of extra mags to start and a mag loader.
    Next year, after my wife recovers from me spending so much on a gun, it’ll be easier to come home with $700.00 Glock 40.
    If you don't want to get into IPSC, see if they have PPC? Its shot stationary. 3 to 50Y. Not saying that always shoot 50Y.. But there are stages that can be done. Holster is only to carry the gun, so can get a cheap one, you only need 2 mags really. You shoot at various distances, in various stances. Timed, but its timed for revolvers. So you can have like 8 seconds for 6 shots. We do a course of fire every week, 96 rounds is all that required. I like it because teaches you alot. I became a much better shooter, shooting PPC.

I would say I'm an avg shooter. And I shot a PPC provincial 1500 match, and I got 1040 points. I would have done better if I used my CZ but at the time the trigger was too light. So made a gun change the night before.

Thanks Robert, I’m like a 46 year old kid in a candy store at the moment. I want the cz, I want the sig, I want the walther. I want to shoot 3 gun, idpa, IPSC. I’m excited because I’ve finally got to a point in my life where I can afford to do something primarily just for me. Luckily being 46, I realize that I’ll have to choose, lol. By choosing the cz, I’ve ruled out idpa, which from what I can tell as a newbie, isn’t really my thing. I’ll never be military or law inforcement, and idpa, seems geared towards defensive shooting. Concealed draw, shooting from a car, or table seems a little silly to me. I do however intend to become the best shot I can be, and it seems IPSC is focused more on that.
    I’m sure once I get to a range and start meeting people, and seeing what’s available, I’ll find a competitive path. For now, I just want the best gun I can afford for what we’re allowed to do with them, which it target shoot. The tactical guns are cool, but I don’t think they’re any better than a cz for target or competitive application. I’m sure I’ll get tactical, fun, cool guns down the road, but for now, I think the cz is about as good as I can get, for what I want to do long term.
    The whole point of me asking is I like researching things, but I also want to know what experienced Canadian shooters think and use.

RobertMcC
    Thanks Robert, I’m like a 46 year old kid in a candy store at the moment. I want the cz, I want the sig, I want the walther. I want to shoot 3 gun, idpa, IPSC. I’m excited because I’ve finally got to a point in my life where I can afford to do something primarily just for me. Luckily being 46, I realize that I’ll have to choose, lol. By choosing the cz, I’ve ruled out idpa, which from what I can tell as a newbie, isn’t really my thing. I’ll never be military or law inforcement, and idpa, seems geared towards defensive shooting. Concealed draw, shooting from a car, or table seems a little silly to me. I do however intend to become the best shot I can be, and it seems IPSC is focused more on that.
    I’m sure once I get to a range and start meeting people, and seeing what’s available, I’ll find a competitive path. For now, I just want the best gun I can afford for what we’re allowed to do with them, which it target shoot. The tactical guns are cool, but I don’t think they’re any better than a cz for target or competitive application. I’m sure I’ll get tactical, fun, cool guns down the road, but for now, I think the cz is about as good as I can get, for what I want to do long term.
    The whole point of me asking is I like researching things, but I also want to know what experienced Canadian shooters think and use.
    You could get a SP01 over a shadow, which is more "tactical" and heavier trigger. That would be IDPA approved. Or could get a NP22 ( Sig clone ) for IDPA, with them under 400$. They are not Sig quality, but allow you to get 2 guns. Actually IPSC doesn't teach you much in the way of fundamentals. Just gotta move and shot fast and put 2 rounds in an area the of a 8x11 sheet of paper. I found I learned more shooting accurately in PPC, than I did in IPSC. Mainly because the scoring target is smaller.

I rather shoot IDPA than IPSC. But never will happen in NS.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post

I rather shoot IDPA than IPSC. But never will happen in NS.
    I have to figure out which one in more fun. I’ll research PPC as well

RobertMcC
    I have to figure out which one in more fun. I’ll research PPC as well
    Well IDPA is more practical, IPSC is still fun. PPC ( Police pistol combat ) best for shooting fundamentals I find.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well IDPA is more practical, IPSC is still fun. PPC ( Police pistol combat ) best for shooting fundamentals I find.
    I'm too old and slow to shoot IPSC; we are bringing PPC to our club this year, and I have joined IDPA, and will be shooting at Aylmer Ontario. They are the closest club to me; but far enough that I may only get over there a couple times this season. My goal is to introduce IDPA to our club at some point.

Right now (for internal politics reasons) our club management have flatly rejected IDPA (wannabe cops); but I believe it is a good starting point. I agree that PPC is the most disciplined sport of the three; but IDPA has less restrictions and stipulations; the least rigorous demands on equipment, and is geared to just about everyone regardless of age and agility... But others know best. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    but IDPA has less restrictions and stipulations; the least rigorous demands on equipment, and is geared to just about everyone regardless of age and agility... But others know best. LOL
    That’s what I want. I want it to be fun. I don’t want to have to go to the gym just to do a cof. So screw IPSC. ��

938B555C-A7C4-48B5-870F-495C7B16405F.jpg

Is a shadow 2 “a practical handgun”?

RobertMcC
    That’s what I want. I want it to be fun. I don’t want to have to go to the gym just to do a cof. So screw IPSC. ��
    I have to re do the Black badge course. Some of the newer IPSC people don't like me holstering a loaded gun, when I shot a steel challenge practice. Because my membership expired. But the fundamentals, and muscle memory doesn't change, because I didn't pay a fee. I just don't feel like paying the money for the course, motel for a night, and the ammo.

Who says you need to be speedy gonzales? Ive seen all shapes, sizes, and all ages shoot IPSC. Go at your own pace and just have fun. I used to shoot with a guy named Mitch, he got all messed up with Uranium poisoning in the Gulf war. Lost his leg and arm. Wasn't the fastest, but had fun.

Don't mark it off the list just yet.

And for a practical gun.. I would say a Shadow is ( just a SP01 with blue grips and fiber sights ) Where some might try and use their comped, red dot, slide racker race gun, Needing a fancy race holster. When they shoot inside a car, might blow a few windows out.

Which wouldn't be practical as "if" you were carrying.

How long is your black badge good for? I thought it was a one and done type of thing.

I’ll head out to that range and see what’s doing. From the website they seem like a good bunch. Only thing that sucks is it’s an hour away from my house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast