Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CSSA: Reading the tea leaves: the future of a National Firearms Ban

April 24 2019
    E-News

After Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair released his long-awaited engagement report, we told you a national gun ban was off the table “for now.”

Many questioned what “for now” meant, so we thought we'd make it a little clearer.

We meant – barring an unforeseen shooting before Parliament rises in June – our guns are safe until after Election 2019.

What “for now” means after Election 2019 depends on who sits in the Prime Minister’s office once all the votes are counted.

Minister Blair's report gave us a temporary reprieve, not a victory. Yes, his report says 81% of Canadians oppose banning handguns, but this report is utterly meaningless if the Liberal Party wins another mandate.

Minister Blair reported on the opinions of Canadians. The opinions of Canadians are as irrelevant as the safety records of millions of gun owners when they conflict with the ideology of the Liberal Party. As they have shown many times when it comes to guns, the Liberals don't care about democracy.

Should they be re-elected, a national ban on handguns and semi-automatic rifles will be introduced faster than you can say Election Night Victory.

Let's call a spade a spade. There is only one political party that can lead us out of this unprecedented media assault. Anything short of a Conservative majority government in Election 2019 and the Liberals will take your lawfully acquired, owned and used firearms. (Please don't extol the virtues of the Bernier Party to us. We are aware of Mr. Bernier's self-decreed policies, but we also know politics. A vote for Bernier is a vote for the Liberals. Vote smart please.)

Thankfully, that gun-smelter isn’t in view yet.

The good news is we can still stop it, but only if we act quickly.
    Now is the time to educate your fellow gun owners.
    Now is the time to educate members of your family and your community.

Now is the time to educate our fellow citizens so, come Election Day, we vote for a government that's not out to destroy our culture of safety, our heritage and our peaceful way of life.

If gun owners across Canada don't get fired up and vote (and vote to save their firearms) those gun-smelters will surely be fired up on October 22, 2019.

2. The Following 11 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

2012Cvoguy (04-26-2019), awndray (04-24-2019), chuckbuster (04-26-2019), FALover (04-24-2019), firemachine69 (04-24-2019), infidel29 (04-25-2019), kennymo (04-24-2019), Northshore (04-25-2019), Rory McCanuck (04-24-2019), tdod101 (04-25-2019), VooDoo (04-25-2019)

I just can't like gun smelter news.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

The fear mongering may be in the right direction, but the panicked tone is overdone.

They have a majority now, and some mass shootings have happened since 2015 when they could have changed things.

Heck, AR sales surged after Trudeau won the election because people were terrified it would happen on Day 1.

Obviously we know the Liberal party is anti-gun, but we have to use evidence and logic to form our opinions, not fear.

Yes their anti-gun agenda will continue to move in their direction if they win, but framing it like "if they win again, then your guns are really gone" does not help anyone.

Yes the Liberals have to go, but based on factual reasons, not fear mongering.
    I have no signature block.

Is it fear mongering though? C-71 bans the rifles of 15,000 Canadians and barring an early election it will pass. They did that this term. Only reason they haven't moved on handguns and "assault weapons" is because of #LAVSCAM tanking their numbers. If they were going into this election in the lead the ban would have happened. It still may be an election promise though I suspect they will couch it in terms that will have some gun owners saying "see, they're not going to do anything". Yes that is just speculation but decades of experience as a gun owner with decades of experience living under Liberal governments shows their clear desire to incrementally ban more and more whenever they can. The CSSA has the same experience (more). They're not saying this with a fund raiser attached. They're saying this because a CPC majority is not a sure thing yet it is the only thing that will save those 15,000 and prevent a 2nd term Lib government from doing more. Those who fail to learn from history as it were.
    Pew pew pew

6. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

2012Cvoguy (04-26-2019), 3MTA3 (04-26-2019), Camo tung (04-25-2019), Gunexpert007 (04-27-2019), LB303 (04-26-2019), Swingerguy (04-26-2019), TheMerlin (04-25-2019)

Some politicians have tried to divide the issue as rural vs urban. In fact, gun violence, whether criminal, suicide, accident or intimidation knows no boundaries. Much of the opposition to the registry is ideological and grounded in misinformation. In watching the testimony of the Parliamentary Committee on Bill C-391, three things were striking. First, the fact that virtually all major safety groups in the country support the registry. Second, the case the Conservatives brought forward was feeble and with little foundation. On the one hand, you have the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the Canadian Police Association the Canadian Association of Police Boards, and the RCMP, all defending the registry. In contrast, the Conservatives called a handful of individual police officers as witnesses including four retired police officers from Winnipeg and a Saskatoon officer who had appeared in an NRA infomercial. You had major health organizations saying the registry works including a study from the Quebec Institute for Public Health. On the other side? A retired marketing professor who admitted his early research on arming for self-protection was funded by the NRA and who could not remember how many guns he had. The Canadian Taxpayers Federation railing against the costs of the registry and citing the Auditor General of Canada. The very next day the actual Auditor General of Canada said that the costs were contained and her office had no further concerns about the program. And the piece de resistance was a gun lobby group bragging about its ties to the National Rifle Association and the support and encouragement it receives. At the end of the day, much of the opposition to the gun registry is ideological which is why the Prime Minister has vowed to continue his fight. Many of the claims made about the registry by its opponents are demonstrably untrue. This is a question of who do you believe? The police, public safety and health care groups? Or, the gun lobby and its allies? At the end of the day it is also about what we value as Canadians. The costs of keeping the gun registration of rifles and shotguns are modest - $4 million a year - while the costs of gun violence is immense. We can debate statistics all you want but at the end of the day we know for sure, the firearms registry never killed anyone. While getting rid of it might.
    -- Wendy Cukier, Sept 2010, President of the Coalition for Gun Control, Defeat of Bill C-391, http://www.kitimatdaily.ca/go3630a/G...LAND_IN_CANADA

Doug,

I'm not saying that it's fear mongering to state that the Liberals will continue to push things in the wrong direction. They will, obviously.

I'm saying that it's hyperbole to pull the doom and gloom "everything will be banned the second they get a second term" card.

What I'm saying is that they completed a successful 10-yard running play this term and they would likely complete a successful 10-yard running play the next term, and we'd end up losing 20 yards.

I know those 20 lost yards are terrible, but the CSSA statement frames it like they're cocking up for a hail mary touchdown pass that will make us lose the game.

I'm fully tracking that every Liberal government will continue to bring the ball in the wrong direction whether it's alll running plays or not, and we can't let that happen.

But gun owners should understand that in context, and not vote on raw emotion that's not based on facts. The Liberals still need to go whether they're running or passing, but let's call penalties fairly.
    I have no signature block.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

jrbailey (04-25-2019)

Don't vote PPC

Funny how in AB once the election was over Fildebrandt has been history. Max will be history too after this election.
    “A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.”
    -Jordan Peterson

11. The Following User Liked This Post By play.soccer

awndray (04-25-2019)

I would have to agree with Doug's position and not Petamocto...after watching how the terminally dumb have doubled down on the immigration file, foreign funding of questionable initiatives, the carbon tax and a host of other files I see no reason why they wouldn't comeback with the big hammer immediately after the election and put this issue to bed once and for all. That's exactly the narrative that Wendy, Heidi et all are currently squawking at them for, too little (incremental) change, get serious now about a gun ban. Enlisting the Emergency Room Doctors was the latest effort to get some momentum behind this. If Turd's crew is elected for another consecutive term we're done.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

13. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

2012Cvoguy (04-26-2019), 3MTA3 (04-26-2019), Doug_M (04-25-2019), GTW (04-25-2019), Gunexpert007 (04-27-2019), Swingerguy (04-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    I would have to agree with Doug's position and not Petamocto.. get serious now about a gun ban. Enlisting the Emergency Room Doctors was the latest effort to get some momentum behind this. If Turd's crew is elected for another consecutive term we're done.
    I see the situation for us in the same light as Soviets saw the Leningrad Siege and Stalingrad Battle ... to live or not to live, as gun owners

15. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By sltoronto

2012Cvoguy (04-26-2019), 3MTA3 (04-26-2019), Doug_M (04-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by sltoronto View Post
    I see the situation for us in the same light as Soviets saw the Leningrad Siege and Stalingrad Battle ... to live or not to live, as gun owners
    I agree. This is it. If the Libs get a majority or minority (with NDP giving them enough votes) then we go the way of the UK, NZ and AUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Pew pew pew

17. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

2012Cvoguy (04-26-2019), 3MTA3 (04-26-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast