Salt Bath Annealing

Just wondering if any of you have tried salt bath annealing your brass. I have a kit coming and it looks like an almost fool proof way of annealing brass for around $200.00 bucks all in. Would like to hear of any known negatives or problems with this method.
    Looking forward to all your input.

Jim

I've never done it, and have only read the briefest bits about it, but yes, everything seems to point to it being almost foolproof.
    When you get it all in and set up, maybe give us a run-down on how it works.
    Opinions seems to matter a lot more when it's 'one of us.'
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Swingerguy (04-26-2019), Tonsper (04-26-2019), Waterloomike (04-26-2019)

Interested for sure.

I've never heard of it. I'd love to hear your experiances with it!

Somewhere down on my to do list is an annealing machine of some kind.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

I had never heard of it either till the other day when I ran across a Facebook post about it so I did a search on You Tube and found a couple of videos. After seeing how easy it looked I found the guy in Edmonton who sell the salts, a lid to go on a Lee Precision Melter. and a digital thermometer with a thermalcoupler that goes into the salt to monitor the temp. The fellow in Edmonton only puts so many kits a day on his page so it was 1st come 1st serve, kinda like winning a lottery. The Lee Melter I got off Amazon.ca.
    The only problem I foresee is to make sure you clean the brass really good after to make sure the salt is all gone so it doesn't corrode the brass or firearm.

Links: https://ballisticrecreations.ca/ ...... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim

A propane torch kit in Crappy Tire runs $23.99. A foil roasting pan is a buck in a dollar store. No drills, thermometers or molten salt(at ~ 500-550C) required.
    Annealing isn't done often enough to justify spending $200 on doing it. It's not that complicated of a process that it needs any special equipment either.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

LB303 (04-28-2019)

F*** it, not worth it...

If you don't feel the need, that's fine, but please stop shitting on everyone that does things more exciting than loading 180gr 30-06 for 20 shots a year.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Grizz Axxemann (04-29-2019), road kill (04-29-2019), stewbud (04-29-2019)

I think a cheapskate way to do things IS exciting

I'm by far and away the cheapest person I know!

Except loading ammo. I never even consider the cost of components. Each component, piece of equipment or process has been chosen for the sole purpose of being the best I can afford for consistency.

As far as annealing goes, that means that any process I choose will have to be precise. Stretching brass life is a potentially nice side effect, though!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

I've been reloading for 40+ years and haven't done a lot of annealing, I have reloaded some 6MM and 243 cases more than 10 times without any case failures. Some brands of cases seem to last longer than others though, 264 win mag cases need to be annealed regardless of brand in my observations. I have some 222 cases that I lost track of the number of times they were reloaded, 15 or more, without any case failures such as split necks. I have started to anneal 223 cases and am looking at different ways to do this with simplicity being the main objective. Lots of ways to skin the same cat, some just cost more and the salt bath looks good.