Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Minister of Silly Walks pewpew62's Avatar

XMetal Hitek Supercoat?

Sorry if itís been asked, XMetal Hitek Supercoat 125gn 9mm, does anyone have an opinion on It? A bit cheaper then the CamPro.
    Thx

Ive been running 124grn Hi Tek without issues for the last 5000rds. I know a few that ran the 125s without issues, before switching to the 147s.. And before someone comes in and says the coating jammed their gun. Here is a barrel uncleaned after 1000 + 124 HiTek thru them. Zero red, meaning. No coating has come off.

When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

be careful how you handle them.

I picked up a batch of reloaded x-metal a while back. They shoot fine but the coating started to chip and fall apart towards the end.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post

I picked up a batch of reloaded x-metal a while back. They shoot fine but the coating started to chip and fall apart towards the end.
    Must been when they first came out. Can't say Ive seen out of 5000rds, any flakes of coating. I store them loosely in boxes or trays.

I've had bad luck with reloading. I have tried .45 and .40 X-Metal bullets, and both were oversized; the soft coating would shave or slip on seating; the loaded rounds had a distinct hourglass shape, and resulted in poor feeding and continuous jams.

The .40 "sledghammer" 180 gr measured at .408 to .414. I contacted X-Metal, asking about their standard and got no reply (you will note that in their specs, they don't eve list an OD, but all of the other manufactures do). I gave the rest of that .40 stuff away for the cost of shipping just to get rid of it.

Twice bitten, never again.

BTW, Campro is cheaper and easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I've had bad luck with reloading. I have tried .45 and .40 X-Metal bullets, and both were oversized; the soft coating would shave or slip on seating; the loaded rounds had a distinct hourglass shape, and resulted in poor feeding and continuous jams.
    Hmm, I shot a bunch of Xmetal reloads in 45, presumably the same bullets. I have to concur with Robt, never noticed any red deposits anywhere. Your experiences make me wonder about their batch - to - batch consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Hmm, I shot a bunch of Xmetal reloads in 45, presumably the same bullets. I have to concur with Robt, never noticed any red deposits anywhere. Your experiences make me wonder about their batch - to - batch consistency.
    Because I never seen issues with the coating. Because I store my reloads, like you get from xmetal, loosely in a box. Ive chambered and ejected rounds, and left no marks. So if the coating came off, it would show on the feed ramp.

I took a hammer to a bullet and never got any flaking. I have a buddy that reloaded and shot xmetal 45 bullets, and no shaving of the bullet or function issues. I personally shot xmetal 45. No issue of the ammo. It was my 1911 not ejecting properly. But Ill be trying it with the Springfield.

Now I see powder coated bullets that will leave signs of the coating.

Also Mark if you are shaving bullets, you don't got enough flare, or your OAL is totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Because I never seen issues with the coating. Because I store my reloads, like you get from xmetal, loosely in a box. Ive chambered and ejected rounds, and left no marks. So if the coating came off, it would show on the feed ramp.

I took a hammer to a bullet and never got any flaking. I have a buddy that reloaded and shot xmetal 45 bullets, and no shaving of the bullet or function issues. I personally shot xmetal 45. No issue of the ammo. It was my 1911 not ejecting properly. But Ill be trying it with the Springfield.

Now I see powder coated bullets that will leave signs of the coating.

Also Mark if you are shaving bullets, you don't got enough flare, or your OAL is totally wrong.
    We have discussed this before. Both the .45 and .40 X-Metal bullets that I had purchased were over-sized. Not only in diameter, but also in regards to circularity. My measurements as listed above are correct. The hour-glass shape is from over-sized bullets With seated bullets, the cases are out of spec (over sized) and both calibers are snug in the chamber.

I always determine COAL using two factors; the "plunk and spin test" (X-Metal will not spin as they are just too f****** big). and if they will fit in the mag. Yes, they vary with bullet type. Yes bullets of similar or very different sectional profiles all feed fine; X-Metal does not.

Now, one might be inclined to say "Mark, I don't think you are measuring correctly"; and I would respond that I am an engineer, I measure critical stuff every day, and all of my measuring equipment is certified according to industry standards by a certified meteorologist. I'm not a "hack" with a $9.00 Canadian Tire digital caliper; we have all the nice toys; Mititoyo calipers, height gauges; a CMM, a Faro-Arm, Microscopic measuring equipment; optical comparators, etc. etc.

Dimensionally, both boxes of X-Metal were oversized, and while I can not state that they are "out of spec" since the manufacturer does not publish a spec like other bullet makers do (I presume that is because the could not maintain one if they did). Likewise when I contacted them and shared photos of my ammo and my measurements requesting their manufacturing standards, they failed to respond. I'm sure they would have responded more quickly had I been placing an order LOL.

My observations and experiences are mine, and are only based on two boxes, two different calibers, both bought from the same dealer. The NP58 did have some issues with 180 gr. RNFP copper plated (this was fixed by opening up the feed ramp a bit and polishing it up, the X-Metal issues were after the feed ramp work).

I am not calling into question your experiences and observation; just noting that they are different than my own.

Again, based on my experience, I can not endorse their products; I do not wish others to share in my experience.

BTW, I did check the chambers with the chamber gauges; all three pistols; Norinco 1911 .45, NP58 and IWI Jericho .40 are in spec towards the low end, but not undersized. (This may well explain why they are all so accurate.)
    Zero issues with DRG cast lead, Hornady, Campro, and the unfortunately no longer available "Caliber" copper plated; no issues what so ever.

Notice a trend?

My short association with their products have came to an end.
    Last edited by MarkR; 05-02-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    We have discussed this before. Both the .45 and .40 X-Metal bullets that I had purchased were over-sized. Not only in diameter, but also in regards to circularity. My measurements as listed above are correct. The hour-glass shape is from over-sized bullets With seated bullets, the cases are out of spec (over sized) and both calibers are snug in the chamber.

Now, one might be inclined to say "Mark, I don't think you are measuring correctly"; and I would respond that I am an engineer, I measure critical stuff every day, and all of my measuring equipment is certified according to industry standards by a certified meteorologist. I'm not a "hack" with a $9.00 Canadian Tire digital caliper; we have all the nice toys; Mititoyo calipers, height gauges; a CMM, a Faro-Arm, Microscopic measuring equipment; optical comparators, etc. etc.

Dimensionally, both boxes of X-Metal were oversized, and while I can not state that they are "out of spec" since the manufacturer does not publish a spec like other bullet makers do (I presume that is because the could not maintain one if they did). Likewise when I contacted them and shared photos of my ammo and my measurements requesting their manufacturing standards, they failed to respond. I'm sure they would have responded more quickly had I been placing an order LOL.

My observations and experiences are mine, and are only based on two boxes, two different calibers, both bought from the same dealer.

I am not calling into question your experiences and observation; just noting that they are different than my own.

Again, based on my experience, I can not endorse their products; I do not wish others to share in my experience.

BTW, I did check the chambers with the chamber gauges; all three pistols; Norinco 1911 .45, NP58 and IWI Jericho .40 are in spec towards the low end, but not undersized. (This may well explain why they are all so accurate.)
    Zero issues with DRG cast lead, Hornady, Campro, and the unfortunately no longer available "Caliber" copper plated; no issues what so ever.

Notice a trend?

My short association with their products have came to an end.
    Then why haven't I had issues, or other people have issues? Why has it only been you with issues? Have you tried working with the OAL? You never answer this question. Or just going by specs you say NOPE? Another engineer said the same thing about campro as you do Xmetal. Why does campro give loading data, that over the max of the powder manufacture? So all bullets have their faults. And the oval ness of xmetal, Never effected me. Bullet as it travels down the barrel that is smaller will make it round again.

Heck have you tried them in something that NOT a out of spec chinese gun?

The hour glass loaded cartage shape is common with many bullets, not just x metal, also with different dies. I see it with the cast bullets guys at the club uses. That they size to .357, and use dillon dies.

Let people make their own decision.

Thanks for the data point Mark. Having merely purchased the commercial reloads, I was content to just accept them as nominally workable in any given chamber. As it happened, they were, at least that time.
    I can't imagine what would be different from those to a box of projectiles, except for poor QC. So I don't take issue with your decision. I'll never buy another GM vehicle. Or another ICOM radio. My reasons are mine, some people will say I'm talking nonsense, that's okay with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast