Whitby member of parliament breaks her silence regarding stepping down

April 30 2019
    Whitby, Ontario

It's been a wild ride for former Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes. The representative for the riding of Whitby stepped down from the Liberal party after what she said was a 'hostile' exchange with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

She now sits as an independent member of parliament, and in her first television interview since she left the Liberal caucus, Chavannes is breaking her silence about how that affected her.

"For me, [it was] the hostility and the anger that I was met with, especially after a meeting about team-building and respect. Meeting him with that hostility and anger, I just thought there was no way I would stand for that for anybody that I represented, or myself," says Caesar-Chavannes.

Caesar-Chavannes, who has been MP for Whitby since 2015, had chosen to step down and not seek re-election and brought this news to Trudeau back in February. She alleges the PM yelled at her in their conversation.

Caesar-Chavannes first brought up the interaction on Twitter, when all eyes were on the SNC-Lavalin affair involving Jody Wilson-Raybould. It was then that Chavannes posted a tweet, questioning the prime minister and his statement that he wants staff to feel comfortable in coming up to him if they have concerns.

"I did come to you recently. Twice. Remember your reactions?" she said in her tweet.

"I believe real leadership is about listening, learning & compassion...central to my leadership is fostering an environment where my Ministers, caucus & staff feel comfortable coming to me when they have concerns” I did come to you recently. Twice. Remember your reactions?
    — MP Celina 🇨🇦 (@MPCelina) March 7, 2019

In a statement, Matt Pascuzzo, spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office, denied there was any anger from the prime minister. “There’s no question the conversations in February were emotional, but there was absolutely no hostility,” Pascuzzo said.

Caesar-Chavannes also sat as the parliamentary secretary for the PM and the minister of international development during her term on the Liberal caucus. She tells Global Durham what she is most disappointed in is Trudeau's overall response to their interaction.

"The response to that was not what I expected, so I'm concerned about that," she says. "I'm not Celina when I go to see the PM, I am the town of Whitby — I am their voice. Therefore I should be treated as such."

Although she has seen some negative response from the public since choosing to sit as an independent, including a piece of racist mail sent to her constituency office, the MP for the town of Whitby says overall support has been strong from her constituents.

"The support has been fantastic," says Chavannes. "When I went to people's doors, I told them I would represent them, and that didn't change when I decided I wasn't going to run. That doesn't change until the day I leave this job."

During our exclusive television interview, Chavannes wouldn't predict who may win the election come October, but offered the advice that whoever does sit in the position, she hopes Whitby is represented fairly.

"Anything could happen," says Chavannes. "It's not just about bringing funding to Whitby, there is so much and it's a huge responsibility for the job. I'd hope the person that does that next, does that in a way that continues a legacy in this community of people who are quite independent thinkers in politics.

Caesar-Chavannes still attends events and represents her constituents, as she will remain in the house as an independent until October. She says when it comes to what's next for her, she wants to continue in a role that helps people.

"I think there is a role to continue what I do in this office, to help people have the tools and skills to have the things that they need," says the MP. "This is especially smaller organizations, the ones that look after our sick, elderly, look after individuals with disabilities."

hxxps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/whitby-member-of-parliament-breaks-her-silence-regarding-stepping-down/

When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

3. The Following 11 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

chuckbuster (05-01-2019), elliott264 (05-02-2019), kennymo (05-01-2019), M1917 Enfield (05-01-2019), R&R Rancher (05-01-2019), Relic49 (05-02-2019), Rory McCanuck (05-01-2019), Scotlas (05-02-2019), shootemup604 (05-02-2019), Turtlehead (05-01-2019), Waterloomike (05-01-2019)

I frankly doubt there was any hostility. I truly believe that this is an entitled, oversensitive, liberal politician who needed a good story for the media, so that she can continue as an liberal-minded independent. But I'm fine with anything that makes him look bad.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

Doug_M (05-02-2019), shortandlong (05-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    so that she can continue as an liberal-minded independent.
    For a couple months, until the writ is dropped.

Caesar-Chavannes, ... had chosen to step down and not seek re-election
    -- Original Post

Well then, I stand by the rest of my comment

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Hey Trudeau. You seem to be confused. You say you're a feminist. You're not a feminist. Feminine yes, but not a feminist.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

9. The Following 11 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

chrisc (05-02-2019), elliott264 (05-02-2019), Forbes/Hutton (05-01-2019), M1917 Enfield (05-02-2019), Oatmeal Savage (05-03-2019), Scotlas (05-02-2019), Smc (05-02-2019), spider69 (05-03-2019), Suputin (05-02-2019), TheHydrant (05-02-2019), Waterloomike (05-02-2019)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    and what will today bring,,

Ahhh yes I just saw the new Ad on TV Justin 'Not as Advertised"

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    and what will today bring,,

Ahhh yes I just saw the new Ad on TV Justin 'Not as Advertised"
    When a corporation lies about their product, they are made to rectify that. i.e. Volkswagen-https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/business/international/volkswagen-emissions-settlement.html

So it should be with any other organization that impacts society. Political, environmental, financial, commercial, etc. Since Trudeau and his gang of lying thieves are quick to buy their way out of scandals with taxpayers cash, they should be forced to pay for their promises made in bad faith with their personal wealth.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

12. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

killer kane (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    When a corporation lies about their product, they are made to rectify that. i.e. Volkswagen-https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/business/international/volkswagen-emissions-settlement.html

So it should be with any other organization that impacts society. Political, environmental, financial, commercial, etc. Since Trudeau and his gang of lying thieves are quick to buy their way out of scandals with taxpayers cash, they should be forced to pay for their promises made in bad faith with their personal wealth.
    I totally agree,but who would make them pay? If that was the case,would we be able to get people to run for political office?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Hey Trudeau. You seem to be confused. You say you're a feminist. You're not a feminist. Feminine yes, but not a feminist.
    Also known as a "mangina".