Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar

Jason Kenney says voters will pass judgment on carbon tax in federal election

Jason Kenney says voters will pass judgment on carbon tax in federal election

AAAVRrX.jpg
    © THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks to reporters after appearing at the Standing Senate Committee on Energy, the Environment and Natural Resources about Bill C-69 at the Senate of Canada Building on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, May 2, 2019.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

While Saskatchewan's Court of Appeal has sided with Ottawa on the constitutionality of the carbon tax, Jason Kenney says Canadians will soon be weighing in with their ballots.

READ MORE: Saskatchewan loses carbon tax challenge — what it means for the rest of Canada

The fall federal election will be "an opportunity for Canadians to say that they don’t want busy-body politicians telling them how to live their lives and taking more money out of their pockets," said Kenney, who was sworn in as Alberta's premier on Tuesday.
    Kenney, a former federal Tory who leads Alberta's United Conservative Party, made the comments in an interview with Mercedes Stephenson on The West Block.
    On Friday, Saskatchewan Chief Justice Robert Richards wrote in a 155-page decision that establishing minimum national standards for a price on greenhouse gas emissions falls under federal jurisdiction.

Ottawa has the power to impose its carbon tax under a section of the Constitution that states Parliament can pass laws in the name of peace, order and good government, he wrote.

READ MORE: Manitoba sticking with carbon tax court challenge despite Saskatchewan loss

Two of the five Appeal Court justices differed in their opinion and ruled the federal government’s actions are not a valid use of that section of the Constitution.
    While similar challenges have yet play out for Ontario and Manitoba, Kenney said he's always known — "win, lose or draw" — that the case would end up before the Supreme Court of Canada.

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe said the province would be seeking an appeal, comparing the ruling to Game 1 of the playoffs.
    The ruling was applauded by environmental groups and the federal government, which has imposed a carbon tax in Ontario, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick and Manitoba — the provinces that don’t meet Ottawa’s minimum price on carbon — as part of a plan to help Canada meet climate goals.
    The tax kicked in on April 1 and was expected to increase the cost of gasoline and other fuel (and therefore goods), but will be offset through a credit.
    The tax has also created a widening chasm between some provincial governments and their federal counterpart.

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said Friday's ruling confirmed that the carbon tax is not only constitutional, but an essential part of "any credible plan" to tackle climate change.

"I'm hoping that conservative politicians, from Scott Moe to [Ontario Premier] Doug Ford, Jason Kenney to [Conservative Leader] Andrew Scheer, will stop fighting pricing pollution — one of the great tools that we have — and start fighting climate change with us," she said Friday.
    Alberta is not currently subject to the federal carbon tax because it has its own pricing scheme set up by the former NDP government. Kenney has vowed to repeal that legislation and implement his own emissions reduction plan.

Asked what his recourse will be if the carbon tax is found to be constitutional at the Supreme Court, Kenney said his government is reviewing the decision in Saskatchewan to determine whether Alberta will launch its own challenge, arguing that the province's case is different.
    CSSA

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    if the courts cant defeat it,,, we will
    CSSA

3. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Billythreefeathers

Camo tung (05-06-2019), Carguy2550 (05-06-2019), firemachine69 (05-07-2019), killer kane (05-06-2019), M1917 Enfield (05-05-2019), no-one special (05-05-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Damned straight we will !
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Carguy2550 (05-06-2019), M1917 Enfield (05-05-2019), Neil Burke (05-05-2019)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Sic semper tyrannis ,damn the torpedoes and take no prisoners!
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

Carguy2550 (05-06-2019), firemachine69 (05-07-2019)

Glad he already publicly called the Lieberals out on trying to equate a climate tax with climate action. I hope enough sheep were paying attention...

Are there any limits to "Peace, Order, and Good Government" powers of the federal government?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Are there any limits to "Peace, Order, and Good Government" powers of the federal government?
    Find the most pi==ed off intelligent person in this country with regard to government nonsense. The limit on the government is equal to the point where they finally decide they've finally had enough and snap.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

firemachine69 (05-07-2019), stewbud (05-06-2019)

Let me know when you detect any Good Government emanating from Ottawa
    "If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau

13. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By LB303

Carguy2550 (05-06-2019), killer kane (05-06-2019), shortandlong (05-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Let me know when you detect any Good Government emanating from Ottawa
    The Courts have said various laws are ok due to Peace, Order and Good Government lately. I've been seeing it reported more often recently, although I can recall a couple as far back as 1983 (e.g. https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/sc.../2479/index.do ).
    e.g. Saskatchewan lost its carbon-tax case this month, partially because of the Peace, Order and Good Government powers of the federal government.

No. Compared to "...life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness..." POGG is a pathetic excuse that should no longer be accepted, nevermind have been adopted in the first place.

I don't want to be ruled by a king, do you?
    "I've always felt the nine most terrifying words in the English language are I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    Member NFA, NRA, NJ2AS, & CCFR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast