Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    Democracy is not the problem, the problem is the constitution governing said democracy. We the peons have become so engrossed in Rights that we've forgotten the State needs to be tightly regulated. For example, current western democracies are "for all intents and purposes" free to spend as they see fit. Governments should be prohibited from incurring any debt except in times or war and national emergency, not by law but by the constitution. They should be prohibited from taxing a dollar multiple times, tax the dollar when it's spent or when it's earned but not both, again set in the constitution governing the government. Constitutional changes should require 2/3 majority vote and 2/3 voter turn out.

Prohibit debt and limit taxation, the free stuff will grind to halt in short order... We may even get better government in the process but may require a really enlightened Constitution.
    I agree totally .

An important omission though is every citizen must be a participant and be educated in those issues , sadly it’s not canada

2. The Following User Liked This Post By shortandlong

manic29 (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by shortandlong View Post
    An important omission though is every citizen must be a participant and be educated in those issues , sadly it’s not canada
    I only mentioned debt and taxes by way of example and completely agree on the importance of participation and education. Indoctrination should be swept from the education system, concentrate on education and leave ideology, beliefs, morals etc. to parents.
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!

Plato covers all of that in the inevitable downfall of democracies.

True freedom leads to eventual anarchy, because everyone can basically do what they want.

There is no obligation for military service, no obligation to learn about governing, and people will vote for more and more handouts because people are selfish, which eventually collapses the system into chaos.

In order to regain control, a tyranny must be established, and the people lose all of their rights. That continues until the tyrant can no longer be trusted, and enough idealists overthrow the tyrant to start a new age of philosopher kings, and the process will inevitably get to democracy and tyranny at some point again.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

manic29 (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    ...because people are selfish, which eventually collapses the system into chaos.
    Yes, I think we've reached the "handout/selfish" phase.
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Magi

chrisc (05-14-2019), manic29 (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    Yes, I think we've reached the "handout/selfish" phase.
    There's no stopping it, really, unless a government is bold enough to enact a policy stating "Unless we are in total war, we must plan to run a budget with a 1% surplus every year".

Barring that, it is simply a race to the bottom with ever-more interest charges instead of getting actual value for that money.

Look at Ontario right now; Doug Ford takes over a total sh!t sandwich of a financial situation, and what are the main three things he can cut? Schools, Hospitals, and Infrastructure/roads.

Obviously none of those play well in the media, yet a responsible leader has no choice but to do the right thing, knowing they'll be relentlessly called a horrible person. Think of the children!

Until a government mandates a permanent 1% surplus plan in a way that a future government can't undo, the takers will continue to leech off the system until the givers just say "Screw it, I'm cashing out and living in the woods where I won't pay tax anymore".
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

manic29 (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Yep. That's the one. Trudeau has ruined sock puppets for me for all eternity.
    Trudeau has ruined SOCKS in general

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456